Red Wine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Wine

After reading Mark's "Definitive Guide on Alcohol" some time ago, I've been convinced that red wine is healthier than other types of alcohol. However, I still haven't really tried much red wine because I didn't really enjoy it in the past (I'm more of a beer snob and liquor kind of guy). But I really want to try more red wines and develop a palate for it (when my 21-30 day primal challenge is through, that is). So, I come to you guys asking: What red wines would you recommend for a complete beginner? Thanks in advance!

I would try a pinot noir - weak assed crap as my husband says - but it is lighter than the cabernets/merlots. And apparently the pinot noirs have the highest levels of resveratrol which is the good stuff that red wine supposedly has.

Comment

Chilean merlot is smooth and quite light. Some merlots taste great and less rich when lightly chilled.

I can't tolerate much red wine myself, but my tolerance seems to be improving, so I'm hoping I'll be able to indulge a little more often.
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

snoops is right: pinot noir has the highest levels of resveratrol. But to be at its best, pinot noir needs to age longer than other red varietals, and tends to be more expensive for the same quality. For a very good value, i.e., combination of price and quality, I like Canyon Oaks cabernet sauvignon.
        Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

I love California syrah and cab Sav and Italian Amarone della Valpolicella Classico. I generally stick to vintages, but as a noob, ease yourself into wine. When I first started drinking wine, I really liked Australian merlots. They were sweeter... Now I prefer dry, full bodied tannic reds.

Comment

Trader Joe's has 2-buck Chuck (Charles Shaw) which is not bad at all if you get the Syrah or Merlot.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I agree re pinot. where are you?what you getmay be limitedby what is sold or available where you are. If you can, a NZ pinot is the best!

Comment

Originally posted by katemary View Post
                I agree re pinot. where are you?what you getmay be limitedby what is sold or available where you are. If you can, a NZ pinot is the best!
                All Pinot noirs are great IMO. Try a south african pinotage sometime if you can find one (They sell them at Bevmo here).

Comment

I have to admit that despite living very close to where they filmed that movie about that really good pinot noir, (what was it called? Sideways?) I'm not a big fan of it.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    I have to admit that despite living very close to where they filmed that movie about that really good pinot noir, (what was it called? Sideways?) I'm not a big fan of it.
                    Ditto. I'm not a pinot fan. I've tried some from around the world... not my fav for sure. Also, there are some pretty decent Portuguese red wine: Touriga Nacional and they are pretty cheap generally.

Comment

pinot is pretty good, but there are lot of reds out there that i think are just more fun. a good malbec is great for someone who is new to wine; it's bold and fruity. petit syrah or shiraz are also good varieties to try.

just like with beer, wine can have a lot of subtle nuances that can be affected by the smallest thing, particularly what you are eating. you've really got to experience some different kinds to figure out what you like. just don't buy in to the whole more money means better wine idea...some of the best wines i've had have been under $20 a bottle.
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Also, wines aged in french oak seem to be very sweet to me (at least the ones that I have tried). However, you being new to wine, it may be something that you might enjoy.

Comment

Personally, I think it would be much harder to start a red wine love affair in the heat of summer. White wine is cooler, but I don't like white wine much, though, so I don't drink it.

The best way to drink a little red wine when it's hot out is to drink the Spanish drink "tinto de verano" which is 1 part fruity red wine to 1 part lemon or lime seltzer water with ice. Lemon wedge garnish is also good, but not essential.

Bonus: you can have 2 drinks for the caloric price of 1!
                          Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
                          Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
                          More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
                          LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
                          Play more!

Comment

Good luck. I too decided, well then, I better drink red wine even though I have never liked it in the past. Some 25 bottles later and I still don't like it. I am going back to some dry whites, gin with perrier, and random shots of tequila.
                            Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                            SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                            2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Lulu B. (Lulu B. Wine | Our Varietals) Inexpensive Pinot Noir, quite drinkable.
                              Castiglioni (Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti Tuscan wine Red wines from Tuscany - Frescobaldi Italian wine) Chianti, and reasonably priced.
                              Cesari Amarone (2007 Cesari Amarone Valpolicella Classico - SKU 1067547) More expensive and delicious. It'll also steal your car and leave you lying shit-faced in a ditch.
                              Mara Cesari (The Independent Wine Review: Wine Review: Cesari “Mara” Valpolicella Superiore Ripasso DOC (2008)) Valpolicella Superiore Ripasso

Comment

Working...
                              X