No announcement yet.

Primal Hygiene?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen suggestions that populations that were anointing their skin with red ochre, coconut oil, and so forth were probably transferring beneficial bacteria with the lotion. I can't recall where now, though. It'd be interesting to know what Coconut oil kills and what it perhaps doesn't.

Jack Kruse has some lotion based on coconut oil he's made up -- quick Google search this is probably it:

I use a special concoction that I made up 6.5 yrs ago......resveratrol, turmeric caprylic acid, K2, Coconut oil, MCT oil, and NAC powder in a lotion form........that is edible.
    How to Tighten Loose Skin After Weight Loss ?

He's quoting it there in the context of tightening loose skin, but I guess something like that would feed skin generally.

I like the fact that he says "that is edible". There's a saying several people use: don't put anything on your skin you wouldn't put in your mouth.

Comment

Deodorant: I use a combo of coconut oil, baking soda (bit of cornstarch) and essential oils. Right now I am using lavendar oils. I keep the CO in one container, and the dry mix in the other. After shower, rub the CO into the pits, and dust with the powder. I have found that some brands of CO work better than others.

Teeth: I mixed a paste of CO, baking soda, and peppermint essential oil. My teeth and gums have never been better.

Face: I have used olive oil for cleansing/moisturizing. I tried CO for a while, but I have very sensitive skin and would be breaking out in a rash constantly. So, I stick with the olive. I do use CO as needed for legs/arms, etc.

I don't use nail polish, other lotions, perfume, minimal makeup.

Comment

Copper peptides aren't primal per se but they've been a great addition to my regimen. Love a product called Egyptian Magic- made from olive oil, royal jelly, & honey.
        WELCOME TO EGYPTIAN MAGIC®

I paint my nails, wear both zinc and chemical sunscreen & have a bunch of makeup that I don't use as often as I should- too high of an altitude, have to watch the wrinkles. Also like fragrances, will not part with, don't care if they are estrogenic, everything is.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
          - Hands: You don't need to wash your hands with antibacterial soap all the time, simply rubbing your hands together in water removes the same amount of bacteria. I only use soap when I have dirt or something oily on my hands that doesn't come off with water. And your immune system does not like a sterile environment, because when you're eventually (and inevitably) exposed to really harmful bacteria, it will not have developed enough to combat it. Get a healthy amount of bacteria! lol

- Face: The less I wash my face, the better it looks. All of the cleansers, and moisturizers are garbage. Eat a clean diet, get adequate exercise, and your hormones will be in check, thus giving you better skin. All of that cleaning and rubbing dries out, and worsens your skin. If your skin is dry and isn't resolved by leaving it alone for a while, increase your fat intake which will make your skin produce more oil. If you absolutely need a moisturizer use something natural like jojoba oil, coconut oil, etc. I find leaving one of these oils on overnight, and then washing it off in the mornings helps.

- Hair: I stopped using shampoo and conditioner, and I stopped washing it every single day... my hair has NEVER looked better. It's thicker, silkier, and awesome. Shampoo/Conditioner just removes the natural oils in your hair, and replaces it with synthetic ones. It's hogwash. I rinse my hair in plain water when it begins to look oily. I used to have to wash my hair every single day, or else it would look oily. But since washing less often, and not using anything in it, I can go at least a week before it begins to look oily.

- Etc: No sunscreen, no deodorant, no toothpaste (just brushing with water, works as good).

Your skin absorbs what you put on it. It enters your blood stream and then goes directly to your liver.
          DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR SKIN THAT YOU WOULDN'T EAT!
          That is such good advice. I am going to follow that. I have already been cutting back on the soap. Also I found that the recent four days of eating convention junk while away from home made me need deodorant again. Much more acrid. Today, less than one day after eating real food again I no longer need it. It not that there is no scent, but it is not unpleasant or strong.

I have:

*) Stopped using shampoo compleately. Warm water works just as well. I do have short hair though.
          *) Stopped using toothpaste. My teeth don't get nearly so dirty now I have so little sugar and no wheat in my diet.
          *) I never used sunscreen anyway, but now I go in the sun more and actually want to - until two days into my junk food filled last four days. Today I still don't like being in the sun.
          8) I had stopped using deodorant until two days ago (i.e. two days into eating junk foot) when things got acrid. No need to wear it today <24 hours after return to real food.

I will stop using soap all the time next, like you said about using it only when you need to. I found in my hotel (where there was no soap and I forgot to bring it) that washing with water was fine.

Comment

I have stopped using soap in the shower, instead using a Loofa and bristle brush instead. Found that soap was drying out my skin, and since I've stopped using soap my skin is much softer, and not dry anymore. I have also stopped using shampoo/conditioner. I've had a chronic problem with dry hair/split ends in my hair for as long as I can remember. The split ends have vanished since I've cut off both shampoo and conditioner. Will stop washing my hands with soap today as I find that soap also really dries them out too. May consider cutting of the deod for a while just to see if it works for me. Am slowly transitioning away from all chemical based products, and working towards naturally based ones.

Comment

I had bad dandruff until recently. Gave up shampoo at the start of May, just rinse for a long time with lukewarm water. Been a month and I'm already amazed at how my head doesn't itch and fall off in chunks.

I have to wear deodorant, I'm not allowed to stink.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I have swapped to paraben and SLS free shampoo, conditioner, styling cream and body wash / olive soap. I tried no 'poo and it was horrid, never again. I have long hair and it looked and smelled yucky.
                I now use homemade coconut deodorant or a shop bought natural deodorant (paraben and aluminium free). I actually enjoy sweating! I feel very comfortable with it, it feels healthy and liberating. And weirdly, if I use my own deodorant, I can go a day between applications if I'm just bumming around house.
                I use the OCM method for my face with olive oil, tone with ACV or witch hazel, and moisturise with rosehip, jojoba and olive oil in various ratios depending on what I need. Sometimes I just use a hot flannel and nothing else. I also like Aztec Secret healing clay which I buy in the states and bring home each visit.
                On my body I use coconut oil or cocoa butter.
                I tried not shaving... but it's just not socially acceptable. I epilate my legs when I can be bothered, everything else gets the razor with coconut oil (is there ANYTHING coconut oil can't be used for??)

Oh and I almost forgot, I switched to bareminerals make up, (which I wear about once a week) and Tom's of Maine flouride free toothpaste.
                Last edited by Nibbler; 05-30-2012, 08:06 PM.
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread55701.html

Comment

I never could get the whole "no poo" thing to work when I had long hair but, since i cut it short, it's working beautifully. I think the difference is the daily getting the hair wet with warm water for a finger massage. That is tough if you have a lot of long thick hair. Getting it wet and then dry every day is time consuming. Now I just stick my head under the sink tap in the morning.

So I have quit using shampoo altogether and just do a conditioner wash about every 10 days or so. The conditioner is coconut milk based with no nasty chemicals.

I only use soap on my face for makeup removal but it is a pure saponified olive oil bar.

Makeup is Almay hypo-alergenic line. I don't use nail polish at all any more. It dries your nails.

Shower or bathe with a loofa mitt.

One of the unexpected side benefits of being past menopause is that I find that I don't need deodorant anymore. Just don't.

I think it's important that we as a Primal community make it clear that, just because we think modern society uses too many chemicals and that is harsh on the body, that does not mean we are a bunch of stinky cave people who never take a shower. We do wash. We just do it with natural products.

Comment

Did a total non-primal thing and had my hair dyed today . . . but I love it. It's the perfect hair color I've been wanting (just like Katniss, though I wanted the hair color before the movie came out - I now have a pop culture reference that people can identify easily when I describe my ideal hair color).

I won't be washing it any more frequently though, and with my sulfate free shampoo I should be able to keep the color brighter longer. Besides, Katniss sure wouldn't wash her hair that often!

(In case you live in a hole the girl in my avatar is Katniss)
                    Healthy Bucket List:
                    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
                    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
                    • Do a real pull-up
                    • Run a 5k
                    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      One of the unexpected side benefits of being past menopause is that I find that I don't need deodorant anymore. Just don't.
                      That is one of the reasons why I am wary of deodorant. I want to send a scent signal that I am able to father children. I am also pretty careful not to wear deodorant around my children, and did not especially when my youngest was newborn. I want them to know who I am and who's family they are part of. I am a bit suspicious that deodorant wearing is a factor in the rise of divorce and the breakup of family loyalties.

Comment

Originally posted by billp View Post
                        That is one of the reasons why I am wary of deodorant. I want to send a scent signal that I am able to father children. I am also pretty careful not to wear deodorant around my children, and did not especially when my youngest was newborn. I want them to know who I am and who's family they are part of. I am a bit suspicious that deodorant wearing is a factor in the rise of divorce and the breakup of family loyalties.
                        Interesting theory.

I do remember loving the natural smell of my ex, I rarely found his body odor offensive at all - which always shocked him. He'd get really self conscious after a work out or long hike . . . but he really didn't smell bad most of the time (once in a rare while I'd tell him to go take a shower - but most of the time it was all in his head).

I'm tempted to wear it less, but the social taboos are stronger for women going without than for men . . . I just use formulas made for sensitive skin.

(And I do go without for days in a row if I'm not going to be around a lot of people and am not sweating heavily)
                        Healthy Bucket List:
                        • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
                        • Hike the Appalachian Trail
                        • Do a real pull-up
                        • Run a 5k
                        • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
                          Interesting theory.

I do remember loving the natural smell of my ex, I rarely found his body odor offensive at all - which always shocked him. He'd get really self conscious after a work out or long hike . . . but he really didn't smell bad most of the time (once in a rare while I'd tell him to go take a shower - but most of the time it was all in his head).

I'm tempted to wear it less, but the social taboos are stronger for women going without than for men . . . I just use formulas made for sensitive skin.

(And I do go without for days in a row if I'm not going to be around a lot of people and am not sweating heavily)
                          If it helps at all, the worst smelling chicks I've around were eating poorly and, I assume, wearing deodorant (never asked... "hey do you wear deodorant?" *slap*). The best smelling chick I've been around, I could smell her from like a block away. She wore some type of coconut or cocoa oil I believe that instantly clued me in.

I think smell association is huge for this subject. If we associate a person with something good, we associate the smell with "good things coming."

Comment

Originally posted by billp View Post
                            I am a bit suspicious that deodorant wearing is a factor in the rise of divorce and the breakup of family loyalties.
                            Study shows 1 in 3 divorces filed use the word "Facebook"

i thought it was facebook?
                            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

i stopped daily shampooing quite a few years ago. i have naturally curly hair and it was too damaging and drying. i still use conventional shampoo, but only every 7-10 days. otherwise, i comb my hair with conditioner when i shower, use a leave-in conditioner and let it dry. my hair doesn't behave like straight hair does.

i stopped using all face products about 6 months ago. i use a washcloth and take frequent hot baths. i also steam my face about once per week over a pot of boiling water. if needed, i will dab a bit of olive oil on a dry spot. my face has never been cleaner or softer. beware using coconut oil on your face, though. it can be comedogenic.

i use dr. bonners castille soap on my girlie bits or on my hands if they are very grimy.

recently began using neutral coconut oil as a mouthwash. WOW! after just one day i felt the difference in my mouth.

the only make-up i wear is mascara. i never could stand the feeling of face paint or lipstick.

i still wear anti-antiperspirant. i work in a restaurant and don't want to be leaning over guests with sweaty pits. however, since ditching grains, my sweat doesn't ever smell acrid.

since changing my diet, my hair is softer, my skin is softer and more clear. my nails are unbreakable and grow like weeds.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                                I read somewhere that divorce rates were low in the US until 1950s, when in California they really started to pick up. And California was where the fashion for daily showering and deodorant wearing started at the same time. As the practise spread up went the divorce rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X