Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blood pressure advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blood pressure advice needed

    So I've been doing the primal thing for about six weeks...I've dropped 13 lbs (from 188 to 175, and I'm a 5'10" male) and I feel good. But my damned BP is still high - typically 130-140 over 90-100 range during the day. I cannot seem to push it down. It does drop down into the 120-130 over 80-90 range after a couple glasses of wine in the evening.

    One one of the big reasons I am pursuing the primal diet is to get my BP down, but I have seen no improvement at all, even though I am eating zero processed food and going plenty light on the salt.

    Ideas?

  • #2
    How old are you and does your family have issues with blood pressure?

    Comment


    • #3
      I am 36. And yes, both of my parents have BP issues.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Butch C View Post
        So I've been doing the primal thing for about six weeks...I've dropped 13 lbs (from 188 to 175, and I'm a 5'10" male) and I feel good. But my damned BP is still high - typically 130-140 over 90-100 range during the day. I cannot seem to push it down. It does drop down into the 120-130 over 80-90 range after a couple glasses of wine in the evening.

        One one of the big reasons I am pursuing the primal diet is to get my BP down, but I have seen no improvement at all, even though I am eating zero processed food and going plenty light on the salt.

        Ideas?
        Try laying off all fructose, including fruit. My coworker's hypertension is fruit and caffeine sensitive. Getting a uric acid meter may also help you figure out what you're sensitive to.

        Comment


        • #5
          Have you gone to your Dr about this? Because while yes, high BP is most commonly the result of aging combined with a bad diet and lack of activity, there are many other causes for it. Genetics is one of them, and that is out of your control, but you may have kidney issues, a neuroendocrine tumor, thyroid issues, or one of the multitude of other causes of hypertension.

          Comment


          • #6
            I had the same issues.

            I got some CO 10 from Wal Mart and some 90% Cocoa. Mine was 150 over 100 and not is is 117 over 73. At least that is the average when the Dr. takes it weekly.

            Reduce stress if possible.

            Comment


            • #7
              I think it is also telling that your blood pressure is lower when you are relaxing with a bit of wine. Feeling anxious about what the results might be, can easily raise your bp for the time that you are taking it.

              I wonder what would happen if you learned some deep relaxation breathing and then practiced that before you took your bp...
              Female, age 51, 5' 9"
              SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

              Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
              2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by EyeOfRound View Post
                Have you gone to your Dr about this? Because while yes, high BP is most commonly the result of aging combined with a bad diet and lack of activity, there are many other causes for it. Genetics is one of them, and that is out of your control, but you may have kidney issues, a neuroendocrine tumor, thyroid issues, or one of the multitude of other causes of hypertension.
                I need to go the the doc...I was just hoping that with weight loss and exercise I would be able to work around having to take meds.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks. I will give the COQ-10 a shot...and the chocolate of course.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
                    I think it is also telling that your blood pressure is lower when you are relaxing with a bit of wine. Feeling anxious about what the results might be, can easily raise your bp for the time that you are taking it.

                    I wonder what would happen if you learned some deep relaxation breathing and then practiced that before you took your bp...
                    I actually have tried that some times in the evening, and the results were good - it dropped to well within normal. The problem is that it is way high all day. Does deep breathing change the way BP is at all times, or only when being practiced and in the immediate thereafter?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Butch C View Post
                      I actually have tried that some times in the evening, and the results were good - it dropped to well within normal. The problem is that it is way high all day. Does deep breathing change the way BP is at all times, or only when being practiced and in the immediate thereafter?
                      It's not just about breathing in order to bring the BP down for a test. It's about incorporating these breathing techniques into your whole life to the point where you don't have to think about doing them, you just do.

                      Try doing the deep breathing at several point throughout your day (say first thing, lunch, after dinner, before bed). Also a yoga class might help. It is not just about stretching into weird positions. The breathing is an essential component of it.

                      Also, what jumped out at me from your OP. It's only been 6 weeks. Chill and give it some time. It took a lot longer than six weeks to get the high BP.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        It's not just about breathing in order to bring the BP down for a test. It's about incorporating these breathing techniques into your whole life to the point where you don't have to think about doing them, you just do.

                        Try doing the deep breathing at several point throughout your day (say first thing, lunch, after dinner, before bed). Also a yoga class might help. It is not just about stretching into weird positions. The breathing is an essential component of it.

                        Also, what jumped out at me from your OP. It's only been 6 weeks. Chill and give it some time. It took a lot longer than six weeks to get the high BP.

                        What she said.
                        Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                        SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

                        Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                        2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Blood pressure is not a static thing... It will, and it is intended to, fluctuate. If your BP is around 140/100, it is NOT catastrophically high... High, yes, but should you freak out, no. The "healthy" bp range has been lowered over the years so that at the moment (in Australia) the "optimal" standard sits at 120/80, but there is talk about dropping that. I personally believe a lot of this has to do with the desire to get every living soul on BP medications, but before you succumb to the lure of the big pharma, make sure that...

                          - You measure your BP from both arms (one is often different from the other)
                          - You measure BP at the same time of day (much like weight)
                          - You are relaxed when you do it
                          - You are sitting down (posture affects BP)
                          - You are not hung-over, uberstressed, just finished 10k run, etc...

                          Just be aware that bp is dynamic and it is NOT intended to stay the same throughout the day. Different people simply have different baseline BPs, and yours, while high-ish, maybe your baseline. Having said that, I would attempt to lower it by dropping added salt alltogether.

                          Deep breathing is all good, but using it to momentarily drop your BP to a lower range doesn't do much, as the effect is passing.

                          Cheers,
                          M

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Primalwombat View Post
                            Having said that, I would attempt to lower it by dropping added salt alltogether.
                            It is possible that this is true, but is it? Are there good studies that show this? Maybe so...I don't know...anyone have any links regarding that...
                            Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                            SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

                            Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                            2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Primalwombat View Post
                              ...at the moment (in Australia) the "optimal" standard sits at 120/80, but there is talk about dropping that. I personally believe a lot of this has to do with the desire to get every living soul on BP medications, but before you succumb to the lure of the big pharma...
                              this.
                              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                              Ernest Hemingway

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X