No announcement yet.

Extreme Fasting - How Much is Too Much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be hesitant to do this for the simple reason that after day 2 or 3, my body would start to feed on my muscles because of a prolonged absence of dietary proteins. Cortisol would go up as well. I think pklopp had a graph showing how the main hormones (cortisol and insulin) were varying with fasting time. 2 days seemed to be the best compromise before cortisol started to ramp up above normal average levels. So while you lose weight, it may not be just fat. One meal a day and occasional meal skipping seem a much better plan for long term ideal body composition. 10 days without any food followed by normal daily eating would probably trigger some funny reaction in your body, something like "HEY!! FOOD IS BACK, let's store EVERY BIT OF IT BEFORE IT'S GONE AGAIN!".

Comment

Extended water fasts don't have the reputation of being an effective method of permanent weight loss.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
        so, in summation, if you die, you fasted too long
        That's more or less my view of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          Extended water fasts don't have the reputation of being an effective method of permanent weight loss.
          Yup. The fallacy is "my intake during the fast will produce results but my intake after the fast will not".
          37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
          X