Keeping chickens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What breeds are good breeds?

We are finally getting chickens and now I have no idea what breed to get. I need something that will lay well, be happy confined (and/or won't jump the 6 foot board fence) and preferably would make good lap pets (or will put up with a toddler). Meat birds would be great too. Any suggestions?
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylee99 View Post

Any suggestions?
      Im in the UK so might be different, but I plan on getting Buff Orpingtons and/or Red Sussex's.
      They are both good layers.
      No idea about being good as pets though. Mine will be purely for egg production in a kind and happy environment for them.
      I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

Peas and broad beans and french beans all grow well in the UK and have a pretty high protien content so can make a good extra chook food if you have the space.
        You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
          Peas and broad beans and french beans all grow well in the UK and have a pretty high protien content so can make a good extra chook food if you have the space.
          Thats an excellent idea! Thanks Rob.

Comment

Just been thinking, would it be of any benefit to sprout some grain occasionally to feed them rather than dry standard grain? Or nutritionally will it make any difference?

Comment

Just been thinking, would it be of any benefit to sprout some grain occasionally to feed them rather than dry standard grain? Or nutritionally will it make any difference?

Comment

I started feeding my girls cooked oatmeal last year in the fall - they loved it. I now buy the unrpocessed "sweet grass" which is oatmeal that's not been cut or rolled and soak it overnight or for a whole day for them before cooking it in the microwave. They LOVE their oats every morning. It is also much cheaper that the scratch grains and sunflower seeds I feed them. Chickens love variety. When I first give them our surplus of zucchinni in the summer, they go crazy for it, but after a few days they act like "this again?" and hardly touch it.

Comment

Thats interesting Mud Flinger, thanks!

Comment

Our flock free roams on about an acre...they have 3 but stick to just one b/c it's got plenty of overhead cover vs being out in the open. Unfortunately, a predator has decimated our flock and we're down to 5 hens, though the rooster we just added seems to helping. Even free ranging and getting kitchen scraps (mostly meat and fruit), they still peck at a little commercial feed that we put out for them. Not too much now that spring/summer is in full swing and there are lots of bugs.
                    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

We are finally getting chickens and now I have no idea what breed to get. I need something that will lay well, be happy confined (and/or won't jump the 6 foot board fence) and preferably would make good lap pets (or will put up with a toddler). Meat birds would be great too. Any suggestions?
                      We had a flock of various breeds...we're down from 11 to 5. Our wyandottes have been our best layers and all three have survived predation (three different colors - black, silver laced and gold laced). Along with our dorking and our dominque. We'll probably stick with wyandottes as they've been very consistent layers and haven't gone broody. They're also pretty docile and easy to pick up and handle/clip wings (we only clipped when we had them confined to a fenced area, now they free roam). If we wanted a dual purpose (meat and eggs), I'd go with the buff brahma. Our best "pet" bird is the dorking. She likes to jump up on the chair with us. The others really couldn't care less and really only pay us mind if we have food. Most folks have egg layers and meat birds, usually different breeds. We have a Barred Rock roo and are contemplating hatching a few rounds of eggs to build up our laying stock again and raise any roo's to eat.

Breeds we also liked: our two easter eggers - one laid green and one layed olive eggs. They were very consistent layers and neat looking birds. The partridge rocks were also good layers, quiet but not social with people.

We wouldn't have a rhode island red or polish - those dang birds never shut up! and they were loud!
                      Last edited by kennelmom; 05-21-2012, 07:19 AM.
                      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I hadn't thought about that-I also need quiet birds (was thinking I'd be safe without a rooster but Kennelmom you reminded me of how much the rhodies I grew up with jabbered)

Hmmm...will look into wyandottes. Thanks!
                        See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

I hadn't thought about that-I also need quiet birds (was thinking I'd be safe without a rooster but Kennelmom you reminded me of how much the rhodies I grew up with jabbered)

Hmmm...will look into wyandottes. Thanks!
                          So far my RIR are quiet..but they are only 12 weeks old hmmmmmmmmmm
                          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Working...
                          X