Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO - The Weight of the Nation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HBO - The Weight of the Nation

    I didn't see a thread on this, so forgive me if there is one, but is anyone watching? It's available online on HBO's YouTube Channel.

    I have been rolling my eyes quite a bit at some of the statements, but in part 2, some identified person of "expertise" comes on and claims that "A Calorie is A Calorie".

    Not sure if I can call this a credible documentary anymore...

  • #2
    I saw that. They had me hooked in part 1. The head of the Bogalusa Heart Study mentions insulin resistance and it's role in heart disease and weight gain. Then, in part 2, they come in with the calorie is a calorie crap, energy imbalance, etc. Same on CW nonsense.

    Comment


    • #3
      Though not perfect, "Hungry for Change" is the only documentary I saw that I found myself mostly in agreement with, and that even surprised me with the information that was provided.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's irritating because people are going to see that and take it as gospel, without at least a second opinion or rebuttal.

        Comment


        • #5
          The head of the Bogalusa Heart Study mentions insulin resistance

          Comment


          • #6
            I am watching this now. Some things that struck me:
            most obese people are poor.
            Environment/diet and genetics (but not all genes in very offspring) are contributors to propensity to become obese.
            An "I can't believe It's Not Butter Spay" was shown as a clip in contributing factors to obesity.
            In every yearly statistic graph, the level of obesity percentages rose, in accordance to the availability of pre-packaged, processed foods.
            That typical "Louisiana" spread included many items that combined carbs and starches, fried foods, with dairy and sugary desserts (whipped cream fruit-salad, as well).
            Many members of the long-term study in obesity and heart health became overweight, but many did not.
            The "bread-basket" and southern portions of U.S. had the highest levels of obesity. Are these also the sectors of our nation that have high poverty rates?
            Interesting documentary. A GLOBAL problem. I am one of the only family members in my clan who is not overweight or obese. I was chubby on my elementary school diet, starting in 4th grade, then broke away from that diet in junior high. My diet has never been high-cal, nor high fat, but for a long period, high alcohol (carb, sugar).
            I will keep watching.

            Comment


            • #7
              The diabetes amputee portion really got to me. My grandparents are both type 2. My grandmother has had a toe amputated and has had several foot reconstructions. My grandfather, recently diagnosed with Type 2, is also on oxygen for emphysema, and has had cancer, told me that " he is is being punished for living a bad life." This breaks my heart. He didn't know, when he stopped smoking decades ago, that it would affect him like this. he also didn't know that his country food diet would lead to diabetes, and maybe his cancer. he didn't know, and still doesn't understand how it all works. I don't understand it all myself, so how can I help my grandpa, in his 70s, who thinks it's his fault?

              Comment


              • #8
                Drivel for the masses.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                  Drivel for the masses.
                  If it gets the populace thinking and talking about the causes and prevention of obesity and related problems, you can hardly call it "drivel." Much of the advice given on the documentary, thus far, sans grains, has been original Cordain style paleo, that is, plenty of veggies and lean meat, fruit, all fresh, organic. It has, so far, advocated smaller portions and moderate calorie intake with exercise.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                    Drivel for the masses.
                    Says someone with an avatar of from a teen trilogy that is a vapid waste of wood pulp and movies intended specifically to pander to the general unthinking mob girls.
                    Excellent. You are good at this.
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                      Says someone with an avatar of from a teen trilogy that is a vapid waste of wood pulp and movies intended specifically to pander to the general unthinking mob girls.
                      Excellent. You are good at this.
                      Not to get off-topic or argue, because I agree that fiercehunter is off-base, but as a youth-librarian, and grad scholar with a master's, specializing in dystopian lit; I have read the Hunger Games novels, and can affirm that the heroine, Katniss, in this dystopian trilogy, is a complex, admirable character, who hunts, kills for her family, fights against a tyrannical government, doesn't cave to stereotypes, and is actually a strong role-model for young women. It really is a good read. the writing suffers at times, but the plot and premise is very relevant

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ohh, they just said "orange juice is just like soda" without the fiber...
                        and the experts "cringe" when they see the amount of exercise on "The Biggest Loser".
                        This doc is quite mysterious...
                        Last edited by Rasputina; 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                          Not to get off-topic or argue, because I agree that fiercehunter is off-base, but as a youth-librarian, and grad scholar with a master's, specializing in dystopian lit; I have read the Hunger Games novels, and can affirm that the heroine, Katniss, in this dystopian trilogy, is a complex, admirable character, who hunts, kills for her family, fights against a tyrannical government, doesn't cave to stereotypes, and is actually a strong role-model for young women. It really is a good read. the writing suffers at times, but the plot and premise is very relevant
                          Caught out... I like playing my version of the dating (only it starts with a b) game with that particular member. Who happens to be insane IMO.

                          You are correct, the primary character in the Hunger Tril is MUCH better than other offerings of late that have become major productions and swept the nation in popularity. AT least she is a strong female character and not some weak sniveling emo thing that seems to be the rage... and makes me doubt the sanity of the entire world for supporting.
                          However, the writing is still so formulaic it's almost painful. It's an afternoon of munching chips. All that tasty fat and salt, but they leave you unsatisfied.
                          I simply have no idea how these things become so enormously popular... but then, fast food is also very popular as well.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                            Caught out... I like playing my version of the dating (only it starts with a b) game with that particular member. Who happens to be insane IMO.

                            You are correct, the primary character in the Hunger Tril is MUCH better than other offerings of late that have become major productions and swept the nation in popularity. AT least she is a strong female character and not some weak sniveling emo thing that seems to be the rage... and makes me doubt the sanity of the entire world for supporting.
                            However, the writing is still so formulaic it's almost painful. It's an afternoon of munching chips. All that tasty fat and salt, but they leave you unsatisfied.
                            I simply have no idea how these things become so enormously popular... but then, fast food is also very popular as well.
                            Yeah, the writing is sad. Give teens some credit! I grew up reading Clive Barker and Ray Bradbury... yeah, I'm a freak, but don't sell kids short!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                              Yeah, the writing is sad. Give teens some credit! I grew up reading Clive Barker and Ray Bradbury... yeah, I'm a freak, but don't sell kids short!!!
                              I once checked out the "viewed" section on our cable and noticed that there was a softcore "Skinimax" selection on there... so I had a talk with son about it. He wasn't supposed to be watching that stuff of course. But as he was a teen I wasn't really shocked. Then I noticed that he hadn't watched much of it... so I asked him why.

                              "Mom, it was stupid... there was no plot at all."

                              I nearly fell out of my chair laughing!
                              I started him reading good stuff very young and he loves books.
                              I think that a lot of teens/pre-teens are sold short by their parents who just pick whatever is most popular and don't provide books that really interest them and challenge their intellect. Then "potato chip" books become the habit, just like junk food in a way. They are fast and easy... why work at reading something more in depth if you never know the satisfaction that you can gain from it. YKWIM.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X