Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Political & socio-economic nerd-rage thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rojo View Post
    Plato, Aristotle, Locke, Hobbes......uh sure, I guess.
    What does that mean?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• Originally posted by Sihana
      Neither of those are tied to color.

Go away.

Comment

Culture
        Huh?

Originally posted by Sihana
        population density, and population spread.
        Australia's less dense and more spread out than we are. Yet they have universal healthcare.

Originally posted by Sihana
        Go away.
        So you can enjoy the "libertarian" wank-fest?

Comment

• Originally posted by kenn View Post
          That. is. hot.

Comment

Either you are a leech, or you are not.
            I think that this is too black and white.

When I was born, I was costing the state money via the medical services they they funded. Does that make me a leech?

When I went through the schooling system, the education services I used were wholly or partly funded by the government. Does that make me a leech?

I found myself between jobs. I applied for and received the unemployment benefit (newsflash: It was not enough to live on). Does that make me a leech?

Perhaps, before judging people, you should walk a mile in their people's shoes first.

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
            So you can enjoy the "libertarian" wank-fest?
            That is how I interpret that comment.
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

You assume I have not had my own hardships in life, and that I have not had my own issues. I got myself out of various situations where I needed help. Not everyone can, but those that could, should.
              No, I don't assume that. I think that everybody goes through hardships and has issues. Everybody gets in situations where they need help sometimes. Calling people you don't know a 'leech' seems like ignorant slander.

It reminds me of a conversation I had (in america, funnily enough) where the person I was talking to was telling me why america could never have a woman president. "Because some foreign diplomat will speak to her in a low voice and she'll give away nuclear secrets'. I questioned why she had such a low opinion of her mother, who could be so easily swayed. She answered that that it didn't apply to her mother or any other women she personally knew, it was female politicians the idea applied to.

I think that if you are making generalisations about people in general that are not true about specific people you know (or ONLY apply to those specific people) then perhaps that generalisation is a false one.

Changing the subject, if this had actually been implemented, would it have made america a better or worse country than it is today?
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                Changing the subject, if this had actually been implemented, would it have made america a better or worse country than it is today?
                Anything out of the mind of FDR will make the country worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grok View Post
                  Anything out of the mind of FDR will make the country worse.
                  Yet we use so many of the policies...

Comment

No, I don't assume that. I think that everybody goes through hardships and has issues. Everybody gets in situations where they need help sometimes. Calling people you don't know a 'leech' seems like ignorant slander.

It reminds me of a conversation I had (in america, funnily enough) where the person I was talking to was telling me why america could never have a woman president. "Because some foreign diplomat will speak to her in a low voice and she'll give away nuclear secrets'. I questioned why she had such a low opinion of her mother, who could be so easily swayed. She answered that that it didn't apply to her mother or any other women she personally knew, it was female politicians the idea applied to.

I think that if you are making generalisations about people in general that are not true about specific people you know (or ONLY apply to those specific people) then perhaps that generalisation is a false one.

Considerkng Hoovers and FDRs policies kept us in a great depression and ignored the proven example of what to do in the recession of 1920-21, it would've only made things worse.

Comment

• I guess the government can't pay for anything without taxes.

Comment

I guess the government can't pay for anything without taxes.
                        oh?

Comment

I wish they would repeal Amendment 16 and leave the tax collecting to the states, and then the fed could only take what it really needs from the states.
                          Can't wait for the ATT treaty to be signed by the US then have the senate refuse to ratify, then have the President enact executive orders to force it on the populace.

Comment

I am already dreading it Kenners. I like to hope that there would be a lot of people who would take the "cold dead hands" approach. Sadly, I know many will just hand them over because "'government told em to."
                            I'm certain that the senate won't ratify it, however, I am concerned that the prez will use executive orders to enact the measures post election

Comment

• btt

Comment

• 100 Ways Mitt Romney Is Just Like Barack Obama