Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CRP is 4.2 - FREAKED OUT! Couple of questions...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRP is 4.2 - FREAKED OUT! Couple of questions...

Hi all,

After months of reading MDA and soaking in as much information as I can, I went to my Dr. and requested a CRP test. She agreed, and I just got my reading back. It's 4.2.

My questions are:

1) How bad is this?? Does anyone have any success stories with respect to decreasing CRP (I've looked in the forum, and saw a few mentions, but nothing very detailed)...?

2) As for supplements, I'm taking 2,000 IU of Vitamin D, B Complex, and Fish Oil. Any advice on this?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by valeo44; 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM.
    "Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's *just* a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, 'He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man', or 'That's not a diamond, it's just a rock.' Just."
    ~ Finding Neverland

Anyone??...
    "Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's *just* a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, 'He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man', or 'That's not a diamond, it's just a rock.' Just."
    ~ Finding Neverland

Comment

Okay, I'll bite.

I don't know what CRP is so I looked it up.
      I also learned that according to WebMD (probably okay for test info) that normal is less than 10mg/L.

However, you say you have been soaking up the info, but not whether you have adopted a paleo/primal lifestyle. Apparently it indicates inflammation in the body and if you are eating inflammatory causing foods that might have something to do with it.

That is my best guesstimate.
      Female, age 51, 5' 9"
      SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
      2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

What is your diet like? Completely primal? Eggs? Any Dairy?

C-Reactive is a substance that the liver secretes that turns on immunity, enhancing it systemically to deal with problems locally. It is an accelerant on the immune process, however it does this by being an accelerant on inflammation. It is great for small temporary infections, but it also cause C-reactive protein that systemically raises inflammation in the arteries and everywhere else in the body.

Causes = could be from an infection of some sort, or dietary from inflammatory food (grain, legums, bad oils (everyone) dairy/eggs/nightshades (for some people)
        Last edited by PrimalHerbalist1; 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Do you know what it was before Primal?

Comment

Thanks jojohaligo and PrimalHerbalist1... jojo, I had never seen that link before, and it seems like it's talking about 2 different CRP tests... Mine must have been the second one (High-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) levels) because the result was flagged it as 'high risk'.

And to answer the other questions, I've been having trouble sticking to primal/paleo due to overwhelming "bad" carbs addiction. I would say I'm primal about 40% of the time. I can't eat eggs as I'm allergic (get nausea/double over in pain when I eat them), but I do eat some dairy (mainly goat's milk).

Up to now, my previous bloodwork (sugar levels, thyroid, cholesterol, etc) have all been normal, but I know I'm playing with fire here and I am freaked. This has been a real wake up call...!

I know what I've got to do, and I'm going to do it... I guess I'm just hoping/wondering if anyone has had success with lowering their CRP level with paleo, and what specifically do you think help (including supplements)... As you can imagine, my doctor hardly knew anything about it, was reluctant to order the test to begin with... the lab where I had the test done wasn't even sure if they screened for CRP...
            Last edited by valeo44; 04-26-2012, 03:38 PM.
            ~ Finding Neverland

Comment

No, Linny... I didn't even know the test existed before Primal
              ~ Finding Neverland

Comment

It is an accelerant on the immune process

Comment

Originally posted by valeo44 View Post
                  Hi all,

After months of reading MDA and soaking in as much information as I can, I went to my Dr. and requested a CRP test. She agreed, and I just got my reading back. It's 4.2.
                  Medical Tests Recommended by Dr. Ron Rosedale | Sam Snyder

Comment

Not to nitpick, but 40% adherence would not be "Primal". It would be increased meat/fat/protein on top of a standard American diet.
                    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
                    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
                    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
                    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
                    ChooseMyPlate

Comment

Yes, Keith, I realize that. Thanks for saying it straight up... Your stats are impressive!
                      I'm just going to have to go strict primal and figure out why I keep sabotaging myself and going back to my old SAD ways. I was looking for some concrete experience related to lowering CRP specifically through primal... But I guess if it can lower all other levels for the better (sugar, cholesterol, etc), CRP should be lowered as well...
                      ~ Finding Neverland

Comment

Give up grains - they are inflammatory. 40% is nowhere near Primal.
                        Odille
                        F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                        following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

totally amazed at reading this thread!!!

That kind of CRP level is completely normal and good! Mine went up to 144, believe me you do not want to try that, I spent one month at my local hospital. 5... I wish I had 5 lol... Everything between 0 and 10 is fine. So feel reassured.

Comment

I think your elevated CRP is probably due to chronic inflammation caused by refined oils and grains. I had slightly elevated CRP (and triglycerides, and weight, and lots of chronic pain which I blamed on exercise, and insulin resistance) before I switched to this diet.

I have not tested my blood again, but I am betting all is well now because thanks to the change in diet the chronic inflammation is gone, the insulin resistance is gone, the obesity is gone and I just feel like a totally different person.

You really should commit to giving this a shot. I suggest trying something very strict like the Whole 30 and make your 20% cheats on that with stuff like cheese, wine or chocolate and do no cheats at all on things like grains, sugar or refined oils. It's really no hardship. Salt, beef, butter. It's all back on the table. Who needs packaged crap food meant to enslave you, make you weak, sick and dependent and give you moobs?
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

But I still don't understand folks, a CRP below 10 is completely normal, not elevated??? why let him freak out when everything is completely normal.

Even my doctor isn't concerned when it is around 15.

Comment

Working...
                              X