Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not feeling well? What do you eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not feeling well? What do you eat?

    I've got a pretty bad flu going on (fever, headaches, cough, aches, the usual) and it is the first time I have really been sick since starting Primal. When I was a kid my mom used to give my brother and I plain pasta with cheese when we were sick (bless her soul! She didn't know!) or chicken noodle soup, so I am craving both. Plus, I am not in a huge mood to get off my butt and cook -- I haven't eaten in about 20 hours, which wouldn't normally be bad but also isn't helping fuel my immune system much.

    What does everyone eat for comfort/strength when they are sick?
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

    "Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

  • #2
    Well, what do you have, for starters? If you're nauseous, fasting it a fine idea IMO. Take some vitamin D if you can, a lot of it (20,000IU), over the next couple of days.

    Broth/soup/bone broth would be a good idea if you have any, otherwise you could make it (fairly easily) in a crock pot.
    Depression Lies

    Comment


    • #3
      bone broth, then move onto soup with chicken and veggies, still with bone broth.. add in some fruit. Garlic/onions and berries. Also if you can get a steamer, that would be helpful. Vit D, Vit C supplements.

      Feel better! I just got over the same thing myself.... triggered from the ant bomb in the office.
      Primal since March 2011

      Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

      Comment


      • #4
        Miso soup... easy and keep those electrolytes up!
        Chicken and rice is a great alternative to Chicken Noodle.
        And of course bone broth... but that's a LONG cook time... if you need something soonish. Always good to put a pot on though... but work removing the bones that you might not feel up to while ill.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
          Miso soup... easy and keep those electrolytes up!
          Chicken and rice is a great alternative to Chicken Noodle.
          And of course bone broth... but that's a LONG cook time... if you need something soonish. Always good to put a pot on though... but work removing the bones that you might not feel up to while ill.
          I just took some chicken carcuses out of the freezer, threw them in the crockpot then went to sleep and rested.. I didnt feel hungry anyways. By the time I was hungry I had bone broth I could spoon out and drink, and use to make white rice. Then I just put a whole chicken in the pressure cooker (took 5 min) with some uncut veggies (didnt feel up to cutting) and spooned out more broth, and added the chicken and veggies. Then I took frozen spinach and put it in the microwave for 6 min with some butter.
          Primal since March 2011

          Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

          Comment


          • #6
            Chicken soup
            Tea
            Egg drop soup
            Cheesy Cauliflower (aka Mac and Cheese)

            Not sure if you eat rice or potatoes or legumes but there is a lot you can do with those. Mostly though its getting lots of liquids (clear broth type soups) or what your tummy can handle in the way of strong smells/flavors
            See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by activia View Post
              I just took some chicken carcuses out of the freezer, threw them in the crockpot then went to sleep and rested.. I didnt feel hungry anyways. By the time I was hungry I had bone broth I could spoon out and drink, and use to make white rice. Then I just put a whole chicken in the pressure cooker (took 5 min) with some uncut veggies (didnt feel up to cutting) and spooned out more broth, and added the chicken and veggies. Then I took frozen spinach and put it in the microwave for 6 min with some butter.
              That works too. I try to keep some good broth frozen for times like that... Freezer room is really limited and I rarely have room for extra carcasses for a day when I'm under the bus.

              I avoid pressure cookers though... don't like them. I'd have to add frozen veg and wait a bit. Same pleasant effect though. A good sick day meal with little effort.

              ***Ohh, And what Kaylee99 said: Egg drop soup!***
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                That works too. I try to keep some good broth frozen for times like that... Freezer room is really limited and I rarely have room for extra carcasses for a day when I'm under the bus.

                I avoid pressure cookers though... don't like them. I'd have to add frozen veg and wait a bit. Same pleasant effect though. A good sick day meal with little effort.

                ***Ohh, And what Kaylee99 said: Egg drop soup!***
                You could oven bake the chicken as well.. it just takes a lot longer to cook, but the effort is about the same.
                Primal since March 2011

                Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

                Comment


                • #9
                  wow, i definitely avoid dairy when i'm flu-ish. broth of any sort is always nice, and i find that scrambled eggs are really easy to digest, and have plenty of vitamins in the yolks.. bananas and white rice should go down well too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for all the input everyone! I am going to have some chicken and rice soup (I don't usually eat rice so I forget it's an option) and eggs sound amazing. Maybe if I'm hungry later after the soup.
                    It is always too early to quit.
                    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

                    "Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
                    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I usually poach eggs in broth, either chicken or turkey bone broth, or my garlicky french onion soup made with beef bone broth. Mmmmmm... rich beef stock, red wine and thyme flavors, loads of onions and garlic. Sigh... it makes me blissfully happy. Actually come to think of it, I always add a clove of fresh grated garlic into my broths when I'm under the weather. Sometimes a squeeze of lemon too.
                      The more I see the less I know for sure.
                      -John Lennon

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ^^ Garlic and lemon are very good for healing!
                        Primal since March 2011

                        Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you have a sore throat a frozen fruit smoothie feels really good. Other than that broth and scrambled eggs are my go-to.
                          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X