Why Is Primal The *right* Diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
    It sounds like you are honestly considering whether the paleo diet would work for you so will tell you my experience. For a little over a year and a half I ate 80% paleo. Then in January I started eating pretty much 100% paleo no grains of any sort. The difference was remarkable; I wasn't looking to loose weight but I lost 5 lbs. The big difference was in my joints and in my overall health, I sleep better (I just thought I was a light sleeper) and I have a lot more energy and at 51 that's a big deal. My body feels 20 years younger. My vegetarian friends that are around my age seem to have so many health problems, migraines, acid reflux, low energy and stiff joints to name a few. Like some one said earlier eat paleo for 30 days and make your own assessment.
    Some of my vegetarian friends are like that too...but slightly different problems...
    At the same time there are a few primal eaters I know (not many) that have the same issues. One of them has been primal since before it was more well known and he still has the same problems he had before switching. He'd originally thought that it was because he was "bad" by eating a certain bread he liked on occasion and so cut out all grains completely without any further results.

Oh, and I keep trying to find some more solid info between the paleo and primal. I did a search on the blog here and found a few things...but other places online give different views on what the difference is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lillo View Post
      Wow. I just joined this forum and, well....I'm very impressed with the amount of information, but very turned-off by the lack of support. Honestly, its intimidating. What if I say something wrong and all of you jump all over me. Why is there such an "us against them" mentality? If I were a proponent of a lifestyle, (and I think I will be at the end of my 30 day "trial") I would be kind and inviting to those who venture forward to ask questions. Remember, you were once new, too.
      I agree.
      Not everyone who comes here is already primal. People come here -- like me -- to learn and talk to others about their experiance and ask hard questions and possibly ask some offensive -- but well meaning -- things. How are we supposed to learn and understand if there are jackasses lurking around corners making it hard for those who actually care to go further?

It's a good think I'm a stubborn ass mama or I wouldn't have come back. I person who is considering primal eating who isn't as stubborn or forward may just leave with their tail between their legs.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
        OP, there is a history of certain-vegan-banananananana-related-subsections-of-trolls....starting off with reasonable questions then going, well, bananas. Which is fine, whatever BUT then it causes confusion for newcomers when vastly different answers are given to queries.
        And Darth is.... Darth. You'll get used to him!
        Okay, thanks for the tip on the bananas!

But WHY, if this person continues to try and intimidate people, doesn't he get kicked off the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
          well... there is raw paleo, which is what i do
          but you live in Pittsburgh, so you're gonna die faster anyway. Also, this presumes that raw paleo is better than cooked paleo, which I'd disagree with.

/team my lifestyle is better than yours
          Last edited by iniQuity; 04-17-2012, 04:56 AM.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I cannot say that PB is THE diet, but it is a form of feeding one self that simply makes sense.

- the primary goal is to eat healthy stuff. That means a strong focus on organic foods including lots of vegetables
            - our teeth show that we are omnivores and the eye teeth are there for meat only
            - our nutrient requirements are such that they in part best met through eating meat
            - grains, while not harmful in the quantities that were eaten before agriculture, do not add any essential nutrition
            - grains are not really intended for consumption anyway. They are intended to pass through our system undigested and start a new plant in a nice pile of dung somewhere. We are to grains what birds are to a cherry tree.
            - dairy is something that might work for some and not for others

In the end we are, sensibly, left with the staples of a paleolithic diet: Animals, plants, fruits, seeds, nuts and some tubers.

A paleolithic diet makes sense to me.

Now some other points for your consideration, albeit they might be subjective:

- vegans have to go through some lengths to ensure that their diet is complete. Seems unnatural to me.
            - to me personally many vegans look unhealthy and used up.
            My instinctive reaction is as if I am meeting an obviously sick person.
            - vegetarians seem to have a "cuddly" focus. If they are vegan because they are against eating of animals, then everything that is not cuddly, such as snakes, insects, spiders... does not seem to enjoy as much positive attention by the vegan community. Seems unbalanced.
            - a vegan diet is something not naturally found in this world in any culture or time period that I am aware of (I am excluding all sects, reglious groups, goverment edicts, etc.) And even if there were, it would be by far the minority.

A vegan diet makes no sense to me

Comment

Interestingly enough, my gf's best friend from college visited this week and we discovered she's been reading and adopting the paleo diet, much to our delight (and you could TELL, this girl used to have skin issues and was always a little chubby, both gone) but I remembered she was a vegetarian so I asked if she was giving that up. For the time being she said no, because she hasn't eaten meat since she was 10-11 and doesn't enjoy the texture, it's not really a desire to 'save the animals' because she lives in an area of Vermont where farms are plentiful and she admits curiosity for organ meats and such.

The point basically though is that if you make an effort to eat more real foods, whetehr you eat muscle meats from animals or not is not going to make a difference. You'd be better off making some bone broths (an option I floated to her as well) eating some organ meats occassionally and maybe also cooking with animal fats. Eating the actual muscle meats (steaks, chicken breasts, etc) while nutritious, are not powerhouses like organ meats, etc, so you could live without if you really wanted to.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Lets see...
                Dr. Phils weightloss program
                Atkins (briefly)
                Sonoma
                Metabolism Makeover
                American Heart Assoc. 3 day diet program
                The Cabbage Soup Diet
                Jorge Cruse eating program
                Mediterranean
                Low fat
                No fat
                Sugar addiction diet
                Suzanne Somers
                Hi cardio
                Strength training
                10-12 glasses of water daily
                A doctor 800 calorie salad all day restricted protein program
                Whey protein shakes and bars
                slimfast
                I will not take pills..
                and I am sure many others...
                None of them... NONE OF THEM!!!!!
                had or have brought me to the level of WELL BEING that I feel inside my mind and body... pay attention.... WELL BEING!!!
                I am losing weight at a very slow and steady pace.. very slow.. and weight loss is why I am here.. but its goin..
                the "side effect" if you will has been WELL BEING....
                a strong balanced mood (wasn't expecting that)
                a level, balanced energy that carries me throughout the day (wasn't expecting that)
                free moving joints and lack of joint pain (wasn't expecting that)
                no more headaches (wasn't expecting that)
                no more sugar/carb cravings or binge eating even at that time of the month (wasn't expecting that)
                no more night sweats (wasn't expecting that)
                an optimistic outlook and anticipation of the day and what is to come (wasn't expecting that)
                no more hypoglycemic episodes, I can go 24 hours or better effortlessly and naturally, not planned, without eating and not even care (definitely wasn't expecting that)!!!
                NO GUILT.. NO SHAME.. NO BLAME..
                I can go anywhere, any restaurant and find SOMETHING as close to primal as possible and eat it and not feel denied..
                I feel completely comfortable and EMPOWERED by my choices now.. I feel STRONG.. mentally, emotionally..
                I think you get where I am going with this...
                I am not on any major supplements.. I don't do any major exercising (would like to start sprints today though!)
                I eat bananas , I had a small hot fudge sunday (no nuts) the other day to celebrate the opening of our local ice cream shoppe with my children!
                I have kept dairy in my life, occassionally.. I like my meat!!! I like my veggies.. fruit, seeds, nuts.. YUM!!
                I miss the ease of bread products but oh well!
                This is right for me..
                Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
                My journal...
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

Comment

OK, Ill bite. I don't think that Primal as laid out is "the perfect diet." I think it is an EXCELLENT diet for losing weight, healing all sorts of issues, and we have seen diabetics reverse their symptoms, 100+ lb weight loss, etc, many many times. I have veggie friends at work asking me for health advice. They don't take it, "because they are vegetarian" but they can see I'm a lot healthier than them, and that I used to be a lot less healthy than them.
                  I do not think that Primal is logically consistent though, and the whole Caveman thing is, once you get into it, not that useful. Our paleolithic ancestors didn't have coffee, tea, chocolate, etc., - they also didn't have cows or broccoli, they had wildebeest and taro. Lots of non-paleo food is quite good for you, in fact, and we don't eat paleo food, we eat paleo-like food, even though we don't know for sure what paleos ate anyhow. Low-carb isn't also necessarily healthy for everyone nor is it the best approach for athletic performance.

But OP, there are in fact NO vegan human cultures currently in existence nor is there any record of vegan cultures in the past, nor are there ANY vegetarian hunter-gatherer groups. Humans are meant to eat meat. There is no doubt.
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                    But OP, there are in fact NO vegan human cultures currently in existence nor is there any record of vegan cultures in the past, nor are there ANY vegetarian hunter-gatherer groups. Humans are meant to eat meat. There is no doubt.
                    Quit intimidating the newcomers. Sheesh.

Comment

Oh please. Someone comes in here brand new. They pick out one tiny phrase out of context, obviously they haven't read more than a couple words of Mark's post and probably haven't even read the first page of posts on his blog. Then pretend to ask an "honest" question. Then pretend they're all offended we didn't extend open arms and welcome them in and tell them yeah Mark's an arrogant ass and vegan diets are just as good. This is totally what vegans do here every day.

Read more of the blog. Skip these forums for now. Go to the Get Started button and read read read. Read it all. Then go back to that one tiny half sentence you singled out and read it again and see if you still think it's a voice of arrogance or someone trying to sell you a fad diet or whatever it is you thought.

Better yet, try eating meat and eggs from healthy animals, fresh vegetables from healthy farms and nothing that takes manufacturing or milling and tell us how you feel in 30 days.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        Oh please. Someone comes in here brand new. They pick out one tiny phrase out of context, obviously they haven't read more than a couple words of Mark's post and probably haven't even read the first page of posts on his blog. Then pretend to ask an "honest" question. Then pretend they're all offended we didn't extend open arms and welcome them in and tell them yeah Mark's an arrogant ass and vegan diets are just as good. This is totally what vegans do here every day.

\\

Fo' shizzle.

Over and over.

Comment

I see primal not so much as the 'right diet' as the 'right concept'. I believe that Primal/Paleo tells us to eat whole, natural foods, cook it ourselves, select the foods that do no harm to your particular body and put joy back in the eating and activity. How much carb vs protein vs fat you eat; how much and which grains, sugars or tubers you allow in your diet; and whether you eat dairy or nightshades or not is customization.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I agree go back to the "start here" and read read read, then decide OR buy the book and read some more. After that, if you have questions, come and try and find them. Better yet, go to the search and type the subject because there is no doubt it has been asked and answered. Good luck.
                            Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                              but you live in Pittsburgh, so you're gonna die faster anyway. Also, this presumes that raw paleo is better than cooked paleo, which I'd disagree with.

/team my lifestyle is better than yours
                              wow, sound like a dick much?

The person I quoted was talking about Paleo being an "extreme" diet, or something to that effect, and that it had nowhere to go. I was simply stating that raw paleo is an even more extreme version. I never said anything about it being better... despite the fact that I think it is.

And as far as living in Pittsburgh, I am here temporarily. I admit it is very dirty here and I do not like it, despite the fact that there are many high quality foods available from surrounding PA farms. I just moved here from South Carolina, but I am here because I can stay rent-free while my girlfriend and I save to move to california. Oh wait, am I gonna "die faster anyway" from living there too? If people are like you in NJ, then I'm glad my family moved away from there when I was a kid.
                              I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Comment

Originally posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
                                wow, sound like a dick much?

The person I quoted was talking about Paleo being an "extreme" diet, or something to that effect, and that it had nowhere to go. I was simply stating that raw paleo is an even more extreme version. I never said anything about it being better... despite the fact that I think it is.

And as far as living in Pittsburgh, I am here temporarily. I admit it is very dirty here and I do not like it, despite the fact that there are many high quality foods available from surrounding PA farms. I just moved here from South Carolina, but I am here because I can stay rent-free while my girlfriend and I save to move to california. Oh wait, am I gonna "die faster anyway" from living there too? If people are like you in NJ, then I'm glad my family moved away from there when I was a kid.
                                Now THIS ^^^^^ is pure comedy.

Get thee to california son. LMAO.

Comment

Working...
                                X