Why Is Primal The *right* Diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I liked his reference to "every decade" having right diets, when asking a facetious question about the viability of a diet thousands of decades old (or at least informed by a diet thousands of decades old). Am I the only one who sees the irony? Good one, Mr. Troll.
    I'm really getting tired of everyone that questions any part of the primal diet/lifestyle being named a troll.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Clearly you already had your mind made up about this subject before even posting, so why bother trying to stir up shit?
      *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
      Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Originally posted by Team Oberg View Post
        Clearly you already had your mind made up about this subject before even posting, so why bother trying to stir up shit?
        For one thing, I DON'T have my mind made up. I was just pointing out something I stumbled across in an article and wanted to know if anyone else could let me in on what people really think about the Primal diet.

For another thing, to the person who suggested I was a troll, I'm not. I am in fact, NOT vegan, OR vegetarian. I am honestly looking for answers and what to find a diet that feels good to me. But I don't just jump into stuff like this unless I get a decent amount of my questions answered first because I'm not gullible...and maybe to a fault but I'm always skeptical about certain things. It's just my nature.

I repeat: I'm not a troll, I'm not vegan, I'm not vegetarian. I'll move onto some other comments with my next post.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Mayo View Post
          Now, as a counter to your raw vegan friends, I would pose this question...If a raw vegan diet is how we are supposed to eat, how come you can't do it without a pill, namely vitamin B12, which is only found in animals. If they don't take this pill and continue to eat raw vegan, they have a future life expectancy of no more than 3 years.
          Some of them do take B12, but quite a few of them have their own gardens and frequently eat from them without washing the produce at all. It's been enough to keep their levels within the good range...several of them have had their blood tested just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalPotter View Post
            If it "clearly isn't THE diet for everyone", why ask the question?

But since you did, the best way to know if it works for you, is to try it. It's not really about "diet" so much as it is about lifestyle. Many people, Primal & not, get way too fixated on the meat. Yes, we eat meat...and a lot of plants, too. Also fruit, nuts, seeds, root vegetables and some of us even eat (horrors!) dairy. Generally speaking, we do not eat grains or legumes of any kind. But there are probably some folks on this list who do eat some grains on a regular basis. I ate some corn chips & dip at a party, once. I was hungry & there wasn't anything else to eat. One day out of 365 isn't going to kill me. In general, I don't eat grains. The rest of the "why" you'll just have to research for yourself.

Have I ever gotten constipated while eating Primal? Yes. It was my body telling me to eat more vegetables.

Have I ever gotten diarrhea while eating Primal? Yes. It was my body telling me to eat more fiber, like a sweet potato.

Have I ever gained weight while eating Primal? Yes. It was my body telling me to lay off the nuts.

If people came out of boxes one-size-fits-all it would be really simple to know what's best for our bodies. I don't really care what other people choose to eat. I choose to eat an ancestral diet, and I do know that my general health is better than some of my veg friends, although they would argue that their aches & pains & constant headaches have nothing to do with their diet, or the fact that I look 10 years younger than my friend who is 8 years younger than me, is pure coincidence. That's fine. Believe what you want.

Mark is passionate, and smart, not arrogant. It's possible to mistake commitment to an idea for arrogance, particularly when you read something & can't see a person's face or hear the inflection in their voice when they are speaking. I have been fortunate to meet the man. I found him to be extremely encouraging, kind and self-effacing. Plus a total hunk of eye-candy. Seriously, we should all look so good at his age.
            I really liked what you had to say here, thank you for answering respectfully as others did not.

And to answer the question why I even asked, it's because I have gotten the feeling around here that if a person doesn't eat primal, then they are unhealthy and deficient even if they don't know it...even if people who eat a different diet have completely normal blood levels. I guess I was kinda frustrated because everyone I talk to in real life about this or on other forums just won't have a "real" conversation with me and admit that it may not be the perfect diet one-size-fits-all. I just wanted to here someone from the primal camp say so...that's all...and I wanted to start dialogue in case I have missed something that I should be aware of...

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              I liked his reference to "every decade" having right diets, when asking a facetious question about the viability of a diet thousands of decades old (or at least informed by a diet thousands of decades old). Am I the only one who sees the irony? Good one, Mr. Troll.
              This just gets better and better!
              Is everyone troll happy or what?!

Yeah, the primal diet is thousands of decades old...
              But there are other cultures who have eaten vegan for thousands of decades too...

BTW...I'm a MRS.

Comment

Just a thank - you to those of you who were able to engage in a mature conversation with me...I found your posts helpful, at least for the time being. I talked with my husband tonight about this subject and though we "were" heading towards the possibility of eating vegetarian or vegan...we're going to post-pone that.

We're not totally primal right now, we still enjoy our brown rice and oatmeal, (and the naughty homemade pizza), but we have moved away from processed junk and also have cut *most* dairy and feel MUCH better for it.

mainly, I just want to feel good...whether the diet is *right* or not...and the positive feedback that some of you gave me was encouraging, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by willsplath View Post
                  But there are other cultures who have eaten vegan for thousands of decades too...
                  Name them.

VEGAN ones.

As in not singular.

More than one.

Large scale culture.

Go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by willsplath
                    Wow, really?
                    If you're so secure with you diet, why do you sound so offended?
                    )
                    No.

Not "really".

What, are you some sort of idjit?

How can I "sound" offended?

This is an internet forum where I type things. I don't leave audio files here, so how do you know what I "sound" like?

You've only seen my typed words on a screen. The "sound" you're hearing is in your own head. Why does the voice in your head "sound so offended"?

Comment

It sounds like you are honestly considering whether the paleo diet would work for you so will tell you my experience. For a little over a year and a half I ate 80% paleo. Then in January I started eating pretty much 100% paleo no grains of any sort. The difference was remarkable; I wasn't looking to loose weight but I lost 5 lbs. The big difference was in my joints and in my overall health, I sleep better (I just thought I was a light sleeper) and I have a lot more energy and at 51 that's a big deal. My body feels 20 years younger. My vegetarian friends that are around my age seem to have so many health problems, migraines, acid reflux, low energy and stiff joints to name a few. Like some one said earlier eat paleo for 30 days and make your own assessment.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Wow. I just joined this forum and, well....I'm very impressed with the amount of information, but very turned-off by the lack of support. Honestly, its intimidating. What if I say something wrong and all of you jump all over me. Why is there such an "us against them" mentality? If I were a proponent of a lifestyle, (and I think I will be at the end of my 30 day "trial") I would be kind and inviting to those who venture forward to ask questions. Remember, you were once new, too.

Comment

Don't let MR. D. Friendly's posts taint your opinion of the forum, most people are supportive and full of good advice.

Time to crawl back into your hole now Darth.
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I don't think so that primal is the right diet, every persons convenience differ from one another.
                            Last edited by miraculous; 04-18-2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

OP, there is a history of certain-vegan-banananananana-related-subsections-of-trolls....starting off with reasonable questions then going, well, bananas. Which is fine, whatever BUT then it causes confusion for newcomers when vastly different answers are given to queries.
                              And Darth is.... Darth. You'll get used to him!

Comment

Personally, I thought that in the context of the article when Mark wrote that he did so kind of tongue in cheek.. Of course he believes everyone would be better off if the ate more like the PB than SAD, but he also recognises that everyone is different.
                                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                                X