No announcement yet.

GERD/Acid Reflux: Let's see if we can spot something that works for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little late to the party, and I'll probably cross-post this on a couple of other threads. I have had GERD/reflux for fifteen years and been on almost every type of medication that has come out (Prilosec, Prevacid, Nexium, Protonix, and a couple of others.) The medication typically controlled the symptoms (in my case, bad heartburn), but I have never liked having to take a pill daily.

Over the years I have tried different ways to get rid of the heartburn, including eliminating the usual suspects from my diet like coffee, acidic foods, spicy foods. I've also tried things like drinking Aloe juice daily, but it always comes back.

I have been primal now for 4 1/2 weeks and off any kind of meds for 4 of those weeks and have only had heartburn ONCE in that whole time. The heartburn came during my first "cheat" meal which was three slices of NY style cheese pizza that I had after three weeks of going Primal. Due to my appetite decreasing since dropping sugar, I didn't even eat two of the crusts.

Based on that, I have narrowed it down to one of three things (for me, YMMV):

1) the carbs/sugars that I have eliminated from my diet with Primal
    2) the gluten that I have eliminated from my diet with Primal
    3) the fact that I have been drinking Kombucha once or twice a day starting a few days after going Primal (completely random discovery for me and unrelated to Primal)

My doctor believes that it's #2 -- I plan on narrowing it down further next week with another "cheat" meal where I'll have sushi with rice. If I don't get heartburn with that, then I'll go off of Kombucha for a couple of days (difficult, because I LOVE the Kombucha).

Hope that helps!
    Roddie

Comment

Nice process of elimination. Anxious to read results

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

The GERD started bothering me in my mid-50s. I had been eating low-carb, nearly primal, for years. The GERD was bad enough that I started taking pills to relieve the symptoms, though I hated taking pills for any reason.

For about a year I researched ways to calm the GERD so I wouldn't have to take the pills. Finally I tweaked my diet and got rid of low-carb tortillas, which were the only source of wheat that remained in my diet.

Within a few weeks of quitting the damn tortillas, the GERD was gone. I could hardly believe it --- that tiny bit of wheat that had been causing my misery. Good riddance. Nowadays the heartburn only flares up (mildly) when I drink a beer or two. Otherwise, looks like I'm finally done with it.
        I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it.
        Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
        X