White rice link seen with Type 2 diabetes, says study

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White rice link seen with Type 2 diabetes, says study

Health researchers said on Thursday they had found a troubling link between higher consumption of rice and Type 2 diabetes, a disease that in some countries is becoming an epidemic.

Further work is need to probe the apparent association and diets that are notoriously high in sugar and fats should remain on the no-go list, they cautioned.

"What we've found is white rice is likely to increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes, especially at high consumption levels such as in Asian populations," Qi Sun of the Harvard School of Public Health told AFP.
    Read More: White rice link seen with Type 2 diabetes, says study - Yahoo! News Canada

I'll dig up a study in one of the journals I've access to, at school. There isn't much info as far as controls, variables; and other factors associated with those who participated in the study. Even the doctor ruled a 100% confirmation/causation with white rice. This is just like the red meat "study" everyone started posting about, days ago. So much static, and not enough clarity of picture
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I eagerly await the torrent of "Rice kills!" headlines and news segments.
      6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
      ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Could it be the rice...or all the sugary MSG-fortified Chinese food breaded in wheat flour and deep fried in rancid soybean oil paired with the rice...promoting diabetes? Hmmm. I'm skeptical that rice - a food that contains nothing toxic and is very simple for the body to digest - is an agent of disease. Unless you're eating it 5-6 times a day and chronically spiking your blood sugar and insulin, I don't see white rice being harmful, and in that case, protein can be just as harmful as carbs.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          Could it be the rice...or all the sugary MSG-fortified Chinese food breaded in wheat flour and deep fried in rancid soybean oil paired with the rice...promoting diabetes? Hmmm. I'm skeptical that rice - a food that contains nothing toxic and is very simple for the body to digest - is an agent of disease. Unless you're eating it 5-6 times a day and chronically spiking your blood sugar and insulin, I don't see white rice being harmful, and in that case, protein can be just as harmful as carbs.
          I go with the bolded.... That's why I barely touch any of the sauces at Asian shops, when I do eat there. I found MSG, and wheat in a lot of rice-labeled Asian products, making me shy away from certain rice noodles; and other things, like dumpling wrappers.
          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I agree that bad oils are a major health hazard. But I also think that as populations become more and more sedentary they become less able to handle simple carbohydrate.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Jesus. Guess we can't eat anything anymore. It's all over, folks. Science, after conducting thousands of complex 12-person 6-day-long studies, has kinda sorta found nothing to be safe for consumption based on participants' partial recount of what they consumed 4 months ago.

Ignore the people living to be 97 and eating diner grub several times a week. Freaks of nature. All 800 billion of them.
              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
                Jesus. Guess we can't eat anything anymore. It's all over, folks. Science, after conducting thousands of complex 12-person 6-day-long studies, has kinda sorta found nothing to be safe for consumption based on participants' partial recount of what they consumed 4 months ago.

Ignore the people living to be 97 and eating diner grub several times a week. Freaks of nature. All 800 billion of them.
                I'm reading, "In defense of Food," and it has a chapter titled, Nutritionism, apt for describing what's been going on, in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by cantare View Post
                  I eagerly await the torrent of "Rice kills!" headlines and news segments.
                  LOL! don't hold your breath, you'll definitely go blue.
                  Odille
                  F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                  following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

Exactly, it's easy to just say "it's the rice!", without taking into account the rest of the diet.

Comment

It's nearly wiped out the population of china.
                      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                        I agree that bad oils are a major health hazard. But I also think that as populations become more and more sedentary they become less able to handle simple carbohydrate.
                        I agree that us being sedentary and confined to an office is a huge part of the problem, but I don't blame carbohydrate.

Interestingly, we eat the same about of carbohydrate today that we did 100 years ago, and 100 years ago, heart disease and diabetes was rare. Evidence shows time and time again that it isn't carbohydrate that causes diabetes and heart disease, but rather individual sources of carbohydrate AND fat. The big difference in our diet is the source of our calories, and our total calorie intake.

Real honey has been replaced with fake, boiled honey.
                        Sugar has been replaced with HFCS and artificial sweetener.
                        Wheat flour has been replaced with dwarf wheat flour.
                        Butter and lard has been replaced by soybean and/or canola oil.
                        Soy is in everything, where it used to be in nothing.

Also, we consume around 400 total calories a day more, yet the majority of the jobs 100 years ago involved manual labor where today hardly any do. Ironically, since carbs have held constant, and protein is relatively unchanged, the thing that increased dramatically is fat intake. We ate lower fat diets 100 years ago. The difference is, steak, potatoes, butter and traditional wheat flour, brown sugar and molasses have been replaced by chicken breast deep fried in soybean oil, GMO dwarf wheat flour and white sugar/HFCS. Does anyone not eligible for AARP cook and bake with molasses or real honey anymore? They used to be (surprisingly nutritious) staples in households for ages.

IMO, vegetable oils are the biggest contributor of modern disease, with GMO soy and GMO wheat being #2 and #3. I don't see as big of an issue with actual ancient wheat as an agent of disease for occasional treats, but not as a dietary staple. I feel like eggs and bacon have been replaced by cereal and pancakes nowadays.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I would not be surprised to see a link, nor would I automatically write off any possibility of causation.

This is not to say that eating white rice will give you diabetes. It is a part of my personal glycogen refill protocol and can be very useful.

But, it is essentially a direct glucose injection, and when people with deranged metabolism eat white rice on top of an already "sugar based" diet, they are going to be asking for trouble.

If you're healthy, and looking for a clean carbohydrate to serve a purpose in your body, it's probably pretty benign.
                          However, most people are already well on their way to insulin resistance and a bowl of white rice every night is not going to move that in the right direction.

Comment

This doesn't look any different than the studies that say red meat will kill you. It's observational, it shows a "link", and doesn't really ascribe a mechanism.

I give it about the same weight as I do all the other "fat kills" studies.

Comment

In other news, correlation does not equal causation, researchers caution, citing the need for controlled studies to establish any prescriptive advice whatsoever.
                              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X