No announcement yet.

Any mushroom hunters out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow, I'm so jealous. We found chanterelles a couple months ago but haven't seen many mushrooms since. Maybe they've come back from the recent rains. Gotta get out there again. And yeah, Arora's book is really funny, like the pictures of what happens when you get too greedy and how people usually get sick from wild mushrooms.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Same here I need to go out and see if there are any chanterells. I haven't seen any for a couple of months.

We've been gathering a lot of black trumpets. I'll see if I can post some pictures later today. I haven't posted any pictures yet so cross your fingers and I'll see if I can make that happen.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

We gathered these black trumpets on a walk a couple of weeks ago. We weren't expecting to find anything so we were unprepared, I had to run back to the car to get a knife and basket.
        IMG_2656.jpg
        We ate as many as we could fresh and dried the rest. This what they look like dried.
        IMG_2657.jpg
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

From what I've seen, chanterelles grow slowly and are extremely persistent. Of all the popular edibles they seem by far the most bug- and weather-proof. I'm almost certain the ones I found had been there for weeks, if not months...one was approaching dinner-plate size. Around here I just look for coast live oak/poison oak/madrone thickets, with emphasis on deep duff and water-retaining declivities if it's been on the dry side. With their neon-orange coloring, at least they don't actively hide from you like some others (black morels in spring undergrowth back East, e.g.).
          6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
          ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

I just checked my chanterelle spot and I didn't see any, but I did see some small black trumpets. The trumpets are related to chanterelles and are also bug and weather proof. Where we are they grow near tan oak and huckleberry. The trumpets are easy to miss because they blend in with the duff.

Comment

Hiked same trail again and found one of the few arguable chanterelle "look-alikes"...the jack-o-lantern (glows in the dark, and is poisonous):

Pretty easy to tell apart from a chanterelle, actually...
              6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
              ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Beautiful photo! You can see a little blue on the stalk. I would love to see it glow in the dark.

Comment

For All mushroom lovers, I came across an interesting site Mushroomsource.ca for all supplies and tools to grow mushrooms. Check it out !!!

Comment

The whole Clan Crabbcakes went on a mushroom hike with a local mushroom guru, sponsored by a county parks dept. We (the group as a whole) found a HUGE hen of the woods.

I love 'shrooms. I should learn more, considering I have my own woods - scared of poisonous toadstools, here, too.
                    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Yummy boletus. August and September after a rainy summer leads to many East European people rummaging through the forests here looking for yummy things. And as long as you don't mind extra protein, you can even ignore the holes in the leg of the ones that the worms got to first.
                      "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

"Don't Panic"
                      -H2G2

Comment

Working...
                      X