Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I ate an ENTIRE pizza last night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I ate an ENTIRE pizza last night

    minus the 1 slice my gf ate....and I loved every bite and have no regrets. Today, I have no bloating, gas, gluten cravings or any other adverse reactions to the food.

    That is all.
    My Leangains Journey

    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

  • #2
    Then you're probably insulin-sensitive and not particularly gluten-sensitive. I actually recommend an experiment like this on your body every now and again. Sometimes it's good to stress the system a little with some toxins and a huge meal. That being said, I would make an occasion like this once or twice in an entire season max. If you start doing this with any type of regularity, you will suffer the consequences.

    95% of takeout pizza sucks, anyway, and is totally not worth it. If you go to an Italian brick oven restaurant that uses cold-fermented sourdough pizza crusts with Caputo '00' flour baked at 1000 degrees F, then I can understand going to town on a pizza margherita with fresh basil and buffalo mozzarella. For Pizza Hut or Joey Shmo's pizza down the road with a 2 large for $14 special, it's almost always not worth it. If I ever really want pizza, which is almost never anymore, I'll make it myself because I've never found a takeout pizza place that'll make pizza half as good as me.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

    Comment


    • #3
      Choco, you are in the Philly area so surely you know of some good pizza joints. I'm with you though. If I'm going to eat pizza, its going to be the very best pizza. Much of it is mediocre to be sure. I also agree that its good to indulge on occasion. I don't generally eat a whole pizza though! A couple slices more than works for me these days. It has no apparent ill effects on me either. I don't think that insulin resistance is an issue with me at all. I can go all day without eating and not think much of food and I feel great. I eat usually 2 times a day typically and it works great.

      Comment


      • #4
        I haven't eaten pizza in years and have no desire for it, but the only reason you should feel guilty or have regrets over having a pizza is if you murdered the delivery guy to get it.

        I'm with Choco though. I save my exceptions for special treats that. Standard fare has no attraction for me at all.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

        Comment


        • #5
          If you go to an Italian brick oven restaurant that uses cold-fermented sourdough pizza crusts with Caputo '00' flour baked at 1000 degrees F, then I can understand going to town on a pizza margherita with fresh basil and buffalo mozzarella.
          OK, thanks.... because yeasty pizza woman made me never want it again... and YOU made me want to go home and make the damn recipe in Bon Appetit that is the cold ferment process. And buffalo mozz is to die for. Maybe when tomatoes are back in season.

          http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

          Comment


          • #6
            I've been fast and loose with the grains this week in general...my attitude has been 'meh.' I don't make a habit out of it, but last night I went to a Mediterranean restaurant and had hummus and pita bread. I was stuffed and bloated afterward, but really I felt fine otherwise.

            My birthday is tomorrow, and I'll probably have cake and beer this weekend. I don't make a habit out of these things, but every now and then, I do forget about it and just enjoy it. My thought is that if you become devoutly paleo and don't enjoy life every now and then, it's kind of pointless.

            Comment


            • #7
              you mean you didn't spontaneously combust? hah!

              my wife and i do this once a month or so. consider it a carb re-feed and have an awesome workout today. who cares...

              i seriously can't wait to make some homemade pizza this summer when my tomatoes start to ripen.

              Comment


              • #8
                If you feel like you're not enjoying life or that you're being deprived on this way of eating, you're not in the right mindset yet. It shouldn't feel like you're holding back or abstaining. It should feel like you don't want it because it doesn't appeal to you, because it's not food.

                To me, cake is not food. It's sweet, but it's not nourishing, nor helpful to my body. That holds no enjoyment to me.
                Then again, I've severed the need for food in social and entertainment situations. I'm not there to eat a specific food. I'm there to socialize and such.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm finding I only feel any immediate ill effects after eating nasty oils. Once in a while I have some fried fish or chicken wings. These are two of my favorite pre-primal foods, especially buffalo wings(unbreaded). I've only had these things a couple times since going primal and payed for it with bloating, indigestion, and diarrhea. Nothing like burnt rancid veggie oils eh.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lily Marie View Post
                    If you feel like you're not enjoying life or that you're being deprived on this way of eating, you're not in the right mindset yet. It shouldn't feel like you're holding back or abstaining. It should feel like you don't want it because it doesn't appeal to you, because it's not food.

                    To me, cake is not food. It's sweet, but it's not nourishing, nor helpful to my body. That holds no enjoyment to me.
                    Then again, I've severed the need for food in social and entertainment situations. I'm not there to eat a specific food. I'm there to socialize and such.
                    Cake is just cake and pizza is just pizza. You're giving cake too much power. When you can occasionally have a treat whether it's "real food" or not and not even give it a second thought then you have mastered your dietary choices and discovered the Zen of eating.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                      Then you're probably insulin-sensitive and not particularly gluten-sensitive. I actually recommend an experiment like this on your body every now and again. Sometimes it's good to stress the system a little with some toxins and a huge meal. That being said, I would make an occasion like this once or twice in an entire season max. If you start doing this with any type of regularity, you will suffer the consequences.

                      95% of takeout pizza sucks, anyway, and is totally not worth it. If you go to an Italian brick oven restaurant that uses cold-fermented sourdough pizza crusts with Caputo '00' flour baked at 1000 degrees F, then I can understand going to town on a pizza margherita with fresh basil and buffalo mozzarella. For Pizza Hut or Joey Shmo's pizza down the road with a 2 large for $14 special, it's almost always not worth it. If I ever really want pizza, which is almost never anymore, I'll make it myself because I've never found a takeout pizza place that'll make pizza half as good as me.
                      AH TO THE MEN. Delivery pizza is so overrated. I don't miss it. If I get pizza someday in the future, rest assured I'll probably be in goddamn Italy.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
                        minus the 1 slice my gf ate....and I loved every bite and have no regrets. Today, I have no bloating, gas, gluten cravings or any other adverse reactions to the food.

                        That is all.
                        Must be nice.

                        We have a FABULOUS pizza place here that makes brick oven pizzas that are to die for. I will indulge in a slice once every several months, but I certainly don't like the puffy, bloaty, gassy, yucky feeling that comes along after it, nor the coma.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Forever Young View Post
                          Choco, you are in the Philly area so surely you know of some good pizza joints. I'm with you though. If I'm going to eat pizza, its going to be the very best pizza. Much of it is mediocre to be sure. I also agree that its good to indulge on occasion. I don't generally eat a whole pizza though! A couple slices more than works for me these days. It has no apparent ill effects on me either. I don't think that insulin resistance is an issue with me at all. I can go all day without eating and not think much of food and I feel great. I eat usually 2 times a day typically and it works great.
                          Not really. I can run circles around 95% of them in my electric non-convection oven with a 550 degree F max temp. It's pretty sad. The real secret to making good pizza is in the dough. I recommend using 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 2 cups of white bread flour for taste and texture, and it takes 2-3 days of fermenting to get really great flavor. Nearly all pizza places just use a white flour, which is tasteless if they don't do a long ferment. And I STRONGLY doubt most pizza places are doing a 3-day cold ferment with a white flour dough.

                          Truth be told, the biggest reason why I don't eat pizza anymore is it isn't that good. I lost the addiction. If you put a pizza and a ribeye in front of me, I'm going to eat the ribeye.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                            Must be nice.

                            We have a FABULOUS pizza place here that makes brick oven pizzas that are to die for. I will indulge in a slice once every several months, but I certainly don't like the puffy, bloaty, gassy, yucky feeling that comes along after it, nor the coma.
                            Do you consistently eat low carbohydrate? Like under 100g a day? If you do, you're probably a bit insulin resistant. If you start cycling in potatoes, rice and fruit into your diet and eat in the 100-200g range regularly, you'll become a lot more insulin sensitive. During my first 4 months on the Primal Blueprint, I ate under 80g of carbohydrate a day and the sight of sugar would make me tired. Since I've been eating potatoes and fruit, I can eat 3 lbs of sweet potatoes or a pint of ice cream in a sitting with no tiredness at all. The one exception I found are PUFA oils. If I eat anything with Crisco, or tortilla chips fried in omega 6 oil or something, the awful feeling, sluggishness and increased heart rate is immediate.

                            A slice of good quality pizza shouldn't make you tired, sluggish and bloated.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Fermenting is the key to just about any baked good from bread to cookie dough. When I used to make bread, I'd let it sit in the fridge for a few days.

                              There was a place here that did do the ferment process on the dough and they used locally sourced ingredients. It didn't last long because it was fairly expensive. The good thing is the chef there taught me all I know about bread baking. LOL, I need to find his equivalent to teach me about making steak.

                              http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X