No announcement yet.

Kids, teens, children, fussy eaters and the primal blueprint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try to work with her. Have you done boiled chicken, steamed veggies, other bland food? Can you take her to the store with you and go in the produce section to she what she likes? Try to help teach her how to cook her own healthy food, maybe she;d eat more. It does sound like she has a sensory disorder that should have been dealt with a long time ago, did she have any language delays as a child? Perhaps there is a physical therapist that could still help at this age.

Comment

Sounds a lot like me growing up. Mostly I just ate egg noodles or brown pasta with margarine, and porridge with Golden Syrup, plus milk and lots of fruit, raw veg and brown bread with peanut butter. It took me until the age of six to get to like rice and ten to get to like butter. At fourteen things started to change, when I got to like pizza in moderation and started trying new things, like cooked veg. I discovered bacon at 17, then hard boiled eggs at 19, along with steak and then fried eggs. By the time I was twenty the dam broke and I only didn't like potatoes and tomatoes. Then I started to like a small amount of boiled potatoes occasionally only if they were new and not floury, and chips from chip shops. Today I still don't chose to eat tomatoes very often and I have just in the last few months got to like chips from choice, again only if I make them with new potatoes, peel them and fry them in tallow - and that was after getting to like sweet potatoes first, something I had never eaten before joining this forum.

So maybe it is not so unusual. Unless your daughter is actually making herself ill, I'd leave well alone. I think people grow out of these things. Some kids are just strange about food.

Comment

I "love" the folks that are advocating that you force her to do what you want her to do. Do they have kids? How has this worked for them so far?
        I have two teenage daughters, both decent eaters but certainly very different from each other and from me on the what, how much and when. Other than making sure they have mostly healthy choices, I've pushed very little. Used to love broc, now hate it? Great, why don't you try some snow peas? Heck, I am still adding new foods and I'm 49!
        My goal is not to control my kids but to have them learn and experience things, with as much guidance as they'll tolerate. I think the advice on having her help shop, help prepare meals and making sure you support her choices will go a long way.
        Super-tasters are certainly not made from learned behavior so my guess is she is doing the best she can right now and with help, will do only better.

Comment

Perhaps start by retraining the way she thinks about food & herself? Find teen savvy websites and rolemodels that eat real foods and direct her there. Remove all magazines/tv/ads with negative body image messages in them. Spend some time with her that isn't focused around food but concentrates on her & her wellbeing. Do mother daughter things often.

Then Get a cookbook with pictures, and have her help pick out some things to try. Slowly, decrease the amount of processed foods she eats, and the amount of it in your house. Talk to her about choosing real whole foods. But don't make this a huge focus, or she will pull back forcefully and do the opposite of what you want, if she is anything like other teenage girls I know (and once was!). The keywords are slowly and carefully, so as not to cause any sudden movement in the opposite direction!

Comment

Originally posted by fastjane View Post
            She is not on the spectrum. She will eat large meals of junk food, but realises that it makes her feel sick, and knows its not good for her. She's very thin, but then again so is her father, and her aunts. She eats plenty of bland carby food, and she knows that I believe carbs make you fat, so I highly doubt she is happy to stuff herself on carbs if she's anorexic or has some disorder. I have a "diet group" and my girls have lost 150kg in about 12 weeks, so she's very excited about them losing weight, and can see that cutting carbs causes weight loss... that is why I do not believe she has an mental issue about food. She literally gags when she eats anything fatty, and cannot stand the idea of meat in her mouth. Her father has similar feelings about meat. He would chose to eat a mass produced sausage over a good steak at a family bbq because he didnt like the feel of the steak.
            Not sure what else to tell you good people to help me sort her out.
            I was just discussing this very issue with my 14 year old daughter who sounds very similar to yours. I worry for her as well as she eats nothing but bread and noodles. She sees me living a Primal life and I know she sees the changes in me (though no weight loss). I am much happier, well rested, less puffy, etc.... Here's the kicker. She is exactly like me. I hate meat......I know crazy huh. I hate the way it feels in my mouth. The stringness, the chewyness etc. I hate fish....the possiblity of getting one little bone makes me gag(tons of mustard goes a long way). I hate fat.....its crazy but absolutely true. I have wished since I was a small child that I liked meat. It would have made dinners alot easier and less time consuming. Since I would somedays sit there for 2 to 3 hours. Until my parents finally either made me gag the meat down or gave in and threw it away. I think weather it is mental or physical it is real. I realize meat is good for me but I detest it. The only time I wanted to eat meat was when I was pregnant. I craved steak, hamburger, etc which was amazing and quite enjoyable for someone like me. Which makes me think it is more of a hormonal issue rather than mental. Who knows....

The only reason I am here on this site and living this lifestyle is because when I hit about 34 I gained 20 lbs and have struggled through just about every kind of "health" plan out there. After going gluten free for over 1 year and despite noticible changes in my health the weight still wouldn't budge so I decided to search a little further outside my comfort zone. Somehow I landed here on MDA A light went off in my head and I decided to see if eating meat and low carb (which was the opposite of what my body wanted) would help me achive my goal.
            Unfortunatly so far nothing has made that weight budge not even Primal. But the benefits out weigh the "torture." I am finding that eggs are helpfull when I just can't get the meat down. I try to eat at least two meat products a day but some days I just can't so I eat eggs and sometimes a good protein powder. I wish that I was losing so that my daughter would see how beneficial it is to drop gluten. I fear that the benefits I am experiencing are not personal enough for her as she is much to young to experience the fatigue, puffiness, and achy joints that I was with my carby diet.

I don't know if this is any comfort to you but I know how you feel. I guess just make sure she knows the facts about Primal Living. Maybe eventually she will choose it on her own. That's what I am doing with my daughter. She has even admitted to wanting to eat Primal but the thought of eating meat makes her gag. I know how she feels and I know pushing her won't make it happen.
            Oh and by the way......withholding food won't work. My parents would not let me eat anything else until I ate my meat, I could have not eaten for days just to escape the torture of chewing and swollowing the meat on my plate.
            F/37yr/5' 5"
            SW: 154 March 2011
            CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
            PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
            With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
            GW: 120
            Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Comment

mom5booklover -- you might check out the GoKaleo blog. She is basically primal/vegan. It's interesting. She does protein powder (not my fav, but you do it anyway, so. ) and you can continue with eggs as well. It might help you get a sense of what she does, see if it might work for you.

same for you fastjane -- see if some of those ideas would work for your daughter (though protein powder makes me gag. LOL so who knows if she'll be ok with tasting it).

Comment

Is there a way you can help her transition from bread to broccoli and carrots?

Given that she is a super taster you want to go for milder foods.

Maybe primal smoothies?
                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by Sihana
                  Don't feed her. Don't let her get a snack. Let her get nice and hungry. If she complains, her only option is to eat the fatty foods. Hunger will force her to give in eventually, and food would never taste so good as that moment.

Works on adults, and on kids. It will for sure work on a stubborn teenager. Remember, she is your "property" until she moves out. Take advantage of it and force your property to eat better.
                  I'd be wary of taking the hard line in a case like this. There are real feeding issues that can be present and this is one.

She barely eats anyway. It'd be interesting to see if the OP could find an occupational therapist to work with her daughter on this issue.

Remember, some kids (and adults) *really* will not eat if push comes to shove. It's not common but it does happen. I saw it happen in a toddler once. Oh. My. Maude. It was really terrifying.

Also, don't underestimate the power of nutrient repletion. She's no doubt quite zinc deficient, always has been and that is a likely cause of anorexia (the medical symptom anorexia in this case rather than the eating disorder anorexia nervosa).

I'd worry less about fish oil and more about zinc, copper, vitamin A, D, E, K, selenium, iodine (...)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by fastjane View Post
                    She literally gags when she eats anything fatty, and cannot stand the idea of meat in her mouth. Her father has similar feelings about meat. He would chose to eat a mass produced sausage over a good steak at a family bbq because he didnt like the feel of the steak..
                    I'd enlist the help of an OT or maybe even a speech therapist (odd, I know) or someone specialized in feeding issues. Here in the states, feeding teams for babies are comprised of OTs, PTs and STs...but as they get older, if it's not a physical issue (which its not for your daughter) but rather a textural one, an OT is typically the way to go.

Good maude, don't encourage her to cut carbs! White rice, potato, yam...all are good options for her (and indeed for most of us in moderation) but it would be nice if she could add, say, 2 oz of fish per day and 4 oz beef per day - even if it all had to be ground into a puree and mixed with mashed potato or cooked completely in liquid then diced superfine.

She sounds like an intelligent, aware, reasonable individual. Rather than take a tyrannical heavy handed approach involving threats and control, I'd appeal to reason. Talk about selenium, iodine, copper, vitamin A etc....how to get these nutrients, why they're important.

Consider the possibility of cutting up some of the less preferred foods very very small and swallowing them like vitamins (which is how I take liver...cut up teensy and swallowed whole).

Best,
                    Katherine

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

It definitely gets easier. My kids are 11 and 12 and went primal 7 months ago when we did. They complained some, we just tole them what we hqd available and they had to pick from that or make their own reasonable suggestion and write it on the grocert list. They eat 90% primal at home because that is all there is to eat. They are a little heavier on the fruit and raw milk than we are. They can cook their own eggs and we always have cooked burger patties, hard boiled eggs, grass fed beef sausage, brisket, pork butt, ribs or something in the fridge. They grabwhatever they want and microwave it. They usually eat after school before we get home from work, sometimes they will eat whatever we cook. They make their own breakfast lunch and dinner most days. They know they can eat anything in the house anytime they want. It took me a while to stop making them eat when I thought they should. As long as they feel good, I'm happy and they obviously aren't starving. After 7 months of being primal they are better at sports, faster and clearly leaner and healthier.

Comment

Don't feed her. Don't let her get a snack. Let her get nice and hungry. If she complains, her only option is to eat the fatty foods. Hunger will force her to give in eventually, and food would never taste so good as that moment.

Works on adults, and on kids. It will for sure work on a stubborn teenager. Remember, she is your "property" until she moves out. Take advantage of it and force your property to eat better.
                        This is the creepiest thing I have ever read on this forum.
                        The more I see the less I know for sure.
                        -John Lennon

Comment

Don't get in a food fight with a teenager. She will eat what she eats....offer better alternatives, but if it is sensory, then it is what it is. I can't swallow a lot of things.....

Trust me, you can't starve a teenaged kid into submission. They can get out and get their own food.

Comment

I strongly disagree with the purposeless cruelty implicit in this suggestion. And it probably won't work, you will just make a battleground where she finds self-expression in defying her mother. Battles of will are no way to proceed.

Comment

I am definitely a super-taster....we do exist. And I hate most meat, except chicken, bacon (who doesn't love bacon) and oddly enough beef hotdogs (which, yeah, not the best for you). So I try to eat Primal, but I have to do my own modified version. With chicken, dairy products, lots of eggs, and some protein powder. Not ideal, especially to you "real" Primal folks, but I do the best I can. So maybe you can encourage her along these lines.

I went back and see that she doesn't like chicken or eggs, but hopefully she can work her way into these. And I'll admit, I am picky about the way the chicken is prepared.
                              Last edited by macha10; 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I would never remove all the "bad food" from our cupboards. I would never "not feed" my daughter. As Mark says, when you clean out your pantry of "bad food" donate it to the poor and needy. Because even carbs are better than nothing.

Also my daughter is 15 not 5. She is not in my presence for at least 6 hours a day. She also works, and has enough money to buy food at school. We don't have lunch programs in Australia, and so she takes a packed lunch to school every day or can buy food from a tuck shop, as we call them.

I have done some research and I believe she has some kind of sensory disorder. She is a little thin, and a bit fixated on weight.
                                I have sought out counselling for her, and hopefully that will help.

I only hope that my year long fixation on my own weight and health hasnt negatively affected her in any way. I wanted and needed to lose 25kg and I did. I do tell her often that eating fat won't make her fat, as long as she's not eating all those awful carbs. She knows that I have no desire to "fatten her up" and I want her to eat food and make better choices because of her health.

She has agreed to eat new foods, and try them without the eye rolling and complaining. We shall see....

Thanks again everyone xo

Comment

Working...
                                X