No announcement yet.

I have to say this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You think airplane seats are tight? Try sitting in the grandstand seats at Fenway Park! Those 1912-era seats are stark reminders of how we, as a society/whole, are just simply larger than our grandparents and great grandparents.

Comment

Brian, as a Bostonian, I hear you 100,000 percent. Watching people cram into those things is pretty shocking, and quite a wake-up call!

Ohhh, just another month and some til Opening Day...

Comment

I hear you guys on that. Remember the old foxboro stadium. You had like a 16 inch section of the bleecher.

One time this bigger woman was sitting on my seat number... was an uncomfortable game. Maybe they should have charged her for 2 seats kidding.... kidding

Comment

I would really like for Arthur, and Alan, and everyone else who thinks 'fat people choose to be fat' to explain to me why, even though i eat fast food a maximum of twice a year, i haven't had more than one junk food item in the house per month since i was 17, and i average less than 1,500 calories a day (while all the math says i'm supposed to *burn* 2,500 calories a day), it was my fault/choice/conscious decision/whatever to get fat (please keep in mind this was all before i started a more Primal lifestyle a week ago--my mileage may soon vary).

Comment

List our your height, weight, age, bf%, typical days diet before Primal and your weekly workout routine by day. Also, what type of work do you do (profession wise).

Given that information, we can tell you why.

Comment

Shine, your post is fine and definately not offensive. It also hit a personal note for me, since I /am/ a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.

Every day for most of my childhood and continuing into my adult life, I struggled with obesity, issues of self esteem and acceptance. This is why obesity is not just a food issue, but also very often mental and emotional.

It is far, far more than a simple matter of willpower. You believe that you don't deserve happiness, or anything else worthwhile in life, and very often continue self defeating behaviors without really understanding them without taking a good, hard look at the underlying causes.

Griff, while I may disagree with you on points, for the most part, I think your activism is important and I encourage your continued forthrightness on matters of your heart.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
              Current weight: 199
              Goal: 145

Comment

height: 5'6"

weight: 170 lbs (dropped 5 lbs with my first week hanging out here, taking advice from other posters)

bf% (if that's the same as BMI, it's 27.44, according to FitDay)

typical diet before Primal: exactly like my Primal diet (which i have listed in morbid detail on my journal entries), except i ate whole grains with every meal, and only ate a small amount of meat, every third meal or so

weekly workout routine: i don't have one; i am somewhat sedentary, but do housework, yardwork and play with my three kids.

work: i do housekeeping, general maintenence/repairs, and run errands for my disabled grandmother.

Obviously you're going to tell me i should work out, but the nearest real gym is 1.5 hours away, and our community does not have sidewalks, or even shoulders on the roads. That's not to say i couldn't do *something,* but there are few options that are safe, and that i could do while caring for my children.

Comment

bf=bodyfat not bmi

there are tons of exercises you can do with kids indoors. kid-ups are a pretty good start (where you do pushups with kids sitting on you or lying on your back, whichever is easier)-- i know when i was a kid, i liked to do 'strong' exercising like pushups and sprints with my parents.

i don't know if you have stairs, but even stuff like running up the stairs or walking up the stairs carting each child is also something pretty safe and a good workout.

there are also ways to make housework have a bit more heavy lifting as well. but there are options, one just has to think creatively.

Comment

Hippie_mama, I don't presume to cast an absolute blanket every individual member of the obese community. I acknowledge there are exceptions. But that's exactly what they are: exceptions to the rule. Sure, there are people with complications that make weight moderation difficult. But more often than not, a person that falls into the 66% of this country that is either overweight or obese can point back to any number of behaviors that got them to where they are.

Comment

The kids are kind of big for that (the youngest is 4), but not bad ideas. I get accused of "spoiling" the small one by carrying her around pretty frequently, but i figure no harm in it while i can still do it, lol.

And while i'm always open to exercise and diet tips, my main point is for someone to tell me what i've been doing ***so horribly and obviously wrong*** for all these years.

Comment

You knew the answer...

-------------

Never Gymless by rosstraining.com

Until you get your copy...

You can do a simple circuit of the following:

Single Leg Squats

Pushups

Pullups

Pike Presses

Lunges

Plank (for active rest 60 seconds)

Rest for 60 seconds

TOTAL COST $0.00

do the circuit 5x... to progress, vary grips, add a wieght vest, work to next level (like pike press to handstand), etc.

For a typical week... you could do:

Day 1 - Circuit above

Day 2 - Sprints

Day 3 - Yoga

Day 4 - Circuit

Day 5 - Sprints

Day 6 - Yoga

Day 7 - Rest

Get a yoga DVD.

Sprints could be outside, up your stairs, burpees at max speed, whatever.

That's 20-30 min of excerise a day... don't tell me you can't find 20-30 min.

Try that for 3 months and let us know how much weight you lost.

Comment

Oh hippie_mama you just guaranteed yourself a "work-out harder" response from arthur...I hear the keys clacking now...

@ Arthur, I know that you and Griff absolutely will never see eye to eye, and you don't offend me as much as you do him (and Griff I understand, I promise)...but with that said, it is HARD for some people to maintain leanness. Not even going into the "fat" debate, some people who are normal weight or just slightly overweight have a much harder time getting to look like a Beach Body model no matter how much time they log with Tony Horton. You'll see extremely fit people kicking as at Crossfit workouts that still have a bit of a belly, or thicker legs...you think they want to carry that extra weight when they work so freaking hard? Of course not! GENES MATTER. Yes we can reprogram our gene expression, I believe Mark's research or I wouldn't be here, but they still matter. I can't change my 5'2" muscular frame into a 5'10" slim Rockette no matter what I do.

You try not to be offensive by putting a lot of smiley faces in your posts , but it really can come off as insensitive and closed minded when your message always says "work-out more and you'll see the results you want." People can try in earnest to do the right things nutritionally and gain and gain and gain...even while running 5 miles every other day and lifting weights on the opposite days...many of us have been there/done that, and that's why we are HERE. We feel like a vibrant community here, but there are still millions of people who need this information that haven't accepted it yet.

I think that's what Griff was trying to get at. WE KNOW the benefits of grain and sugar free eating, but CW pushes SO hard against those ideas that it's difficult to get through to other people who desparately need this information. We shouldn't judge "fat" people for being overweight when we have no idea why or how they got to that point. Many people genuinly don't know what to eat/how to cook/how to exercise safely, no matter what size they are...working out more is not always the answer.

You are what you eat,
                          and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

I have yet to meet a "ripped" person in real life that wasn't arrogant, condescending, and generally unpleasant to be around--of course, it could just be that the "nice" ones don't bother talking to me. Just saying guys, others might take your friendly advice better if it was given in a friendly manner.

Comment

We all have our physical, mental, and emotional weaknesses and freakishness and history of poor choices that we strive to remediate or overcome.

Some exhibit it in the bedroom. Some exhibit it in an 80 hour work week. Some kick the dog. Some hit the treadmill compulsively. Some binge and purge. Some are mean bosses. Some compulsively collect trophy wives--or bowling trophies. Some show it in their arrogance, others in their shyness. Some are lucky enough to show it in ways that others envy--the 140,000 kitchen remodel of a beautiful kitchen, or the Jag in British racing green, the body from obsessive fitness. Some folks you'd never know--but it's there.

And some wear it as fat.

We are told it's a choice, though many of us have spent a lifetime struggling with that choice and attempting (and failing) to choose otherwise; we are HERE struggling; we are told, even here, that as we've done it to ourselves, we deserve whatever insensitivities others may willingly or accidentally commit. We are a problem.

Perhaps before someone ON A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE AND NUTRITION FORUM makes a judgment (or outright crack) about the efforts of someone who is fat, they ought to think about their own bedroom inadequacies or the way they treat their children when no one is looking or the 35 hours they spend on the internet rather than dealing with real people in the real world.

Everyone in this conversation--myself included--may want to take a moment to examine how we treat all kinds of people in this world who struggle in ways that are unfamiliar to us.

Comment

Katt, I am so sorry to hear that. Childhood trauma is one of the worst (if not unequivocally the worst) ordeals that a person can experience. Like you mentioned, the devestating psychological and emotional fallout can haunt the victim for many years after the abuse has stopped.

After reading through some more responses on this thread, there also seems to be a misunderstanding about the surreptious nature of obesity. For many, becoming obese is a gradual process; minor annual weight gain eventually accumulates into a substantial excess.

For example, a five to ten pound weight gain over a period of twelve months is barely perceptible to most people. This small of a weight gain is easily achieved even within the confines of a healthy diet and avoidance of junk food. Clothes may fit a bit tighter, but even this warning sign of weight gain may go unnoticed as new, larger items are added to a wardrobe throughout the changing seasons. If this trend continues for five to ten years, suddenly that gradual minor weight gain has possibly become a 100 lb. excess and jettisoned the individual into obesity.

Does this mean that the obesity was unpreventable? Of course not. My point is that is that this idea that obese people have reached their current weight by frequent gorging on junk food is fallacious. Sometimes it is simply an effect of longterm accumulation. The solution I see is to establish an environment where these gradual gains are more noticeable before it is too late.

For example, I think that we need more adult sports leagues because frequent physical exertion really does help maintain awareness of one's physique; minor weight gain would be noticed as a hinder to athletic performance long before other signs. Sure, such adult sports organizations exist, but how much does our culture really encourage this sort of behavior? I do not mean to transfer responsibility to some ambiguous "culture" entity; we are all individually responsible for the aggregate of cultural attitudes and habits. Still, I think this hearkens back to another way to tackle the source rather than the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X