No announcement yet.

I May Have Cured My Period Cramps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low carb can ease period cramps and it is very good for PCOS too.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by iroc8210 View Post
      This is all very good information. I too suffer from horrible cramps. Last month I was nearly bed ridden for a weekend because I felt so miserable. This is my first month on Paleo, not to mention I have been taking benedryl for a possible food reaction, and using Natural Calm more consistently and low & behold...mine crept up on me too! No mood swings, no cramping so far...I'll have to save this thread and keep an eye on how future months go (assuming I won't be taking an antihistimine then).

Thanks for sharing!
      Cori, that's very interesting! Any month without cramps is a blessing, that is good news. Unfortunately, it takes so long to test our ideas month to month. Please, please, please report back if you have cramps minus the antihistimines or if it is truly the magnesium alone that is helping you. Going primal wasn't a magic bullet for me. If we can find the mechanism maybe we can come up with our own healthier solution. Would love to hear more!

Edited: Cori, do you recall how many days before your period you started the antihistimines and how many days you took them for (roughly speaking)? Just wondering if you were taking Benadryl for the whole month, 2 weeks before or 1 week before? Thanks for your input!
      Last edited by Goldstar; 02-26-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I ordered some iodine (2%) from Amazon the other day, I'm going to give that whirl.
        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
          I ordered some iodine (2%) from Amazon the other day, I'm going to give that whirl.
          Goodluck, J3, hope it works!!

Comment

I'm surprised tylenol works so well for you--Naproxen always worked better for me than anything else and has the most positive long term safety studies of the over the counter anti-inflammatories.

Comment

The thing is, I don't know if it was the tylenol or the antihistimines that gave me the cramp-free period. I do know that tylenol does nothing for me once the cramps have started...by then it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldstar View Post
                Goodluck, J3, hope it works!!
                Thanks. I'm with you on the cramping issue, so I'm always looking for solutions to give even the slightest improvement. I don't start getting cramps until she's actually here, which gives me a false sense of victory in the days leading up to her arrival, lol.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Thanks. I'm with you on the cramping issue, so I'm always looking for solutions to give even the slightest improvement. I don't start getting cramps until she's actually here, which gives me a false sense of victory in the days leading up to her arrival, lol.
                  It gets me, too, LOL. Such an emotional rollercoaster of highs and lows. That false sense of victory is followed by praying for early menopause, so bi-polar. Please let us know how it works out.

Comment

I learned some things today and I'm pretty excited. I've been reading all day about prostaglandins and realize now things may not be so cut and dry. It turns out prostaglandins are involved in inflammatory responses throughout the body and there are even good ones and bad ones. They also have alot to do with muscle contraction (and on a side note can be implicated in constipation, which is another issue I have). The bad ones are responsible for menstrual cramps.

Treatments suggested for reducing the production of the bad prostaglandins includes anti-inflammatory foods such as increased vitamin C, turmeric, onion, rosemary, zinc and reduction in meat and dairy.

Turns out, this was exactly the protocol I was following in trying to get through my cold! Wow! And this was in addition to the tylenol and antihistimines so I must have been the anti-inflammatory queen!

I'm still following through on my tylenol experiment for this week just to see if it has any effect, since there is such a short time frame left this month. After that, I will be looking into a diet based on foods most recommended for reducing bad prostaglandins, including:
                    resveratrol
                    vitamin C
                    turmeric
                    onion
                    rosemary
                    green tea daily
                    bee propolis
                    evening primrose
                    borage
                    reduced dairy and meat
                    more fish, nuts and seeds

Edited: sorry everyone, I can't continue the tylenol experiment. Normally, I never take it and it is making my asthma worse (was unable to tell when I had the cold). Gonna take more turmeric, krill and vitamin C this week. Not expecting much this time around but will have to give the foods a good month to do their magic next time.
                    Last edited by Goldstar; 02-27-2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Me too. Though I'm starting out at a very low dose.

I learned some things today and I'm pretty excited. I've been reading all day about prostaglandins and realize now things may not be so cut and dry. It turns out prostaglandins are involved in inflammatory responses throughout the body and there are even good ones and bad ones. They also have alot to do with muscle contraction (and on a side note can be implicated in constipation, which is another issue I have). The bad ones are responsible for menstrual cramps.

Treatments suggested for reducing the production of the bad prostaglandins includes anti-inflammatory foods such as increased vitamin C, turmeric, onion, rosemary, zinc and reduction in meat and dairy.

Turns out, this was exactly the protocol I was following in trying to get through my cold! Wow! And this was in addition to the tylenol and antihistimines so I must have been the anti-inflammatory queen!

I'm still following through on my tylenol experiment for this week just to see if it has any effect, since there is such a short time frame left this month. After that, I will be looking into a diet based on foods most recommended for reducing bad prostaglandins, including:
                      resveratrol
                      vitamin C
                      turmeric
                      onion
                      rosemary
                      green tea daily
                      bee propolis
                      evening primrose
                      borage
                      reduced dairy and meat

Edited: sorry everyone, I can't continue the tylenol experiment. Normally, I never take it and it is making my asthma worse (was unable to tell when I had the cold). Gonna take more turmeric, krill and vitamin C this week. Not expecting much this time around but will have to give the foods a good month to do their magic next time.
                      It's interesting that constipation and cramps are related by way of prostaglandins, as I suffer both when my period starts and I've always thought the constipation was hormonal / related.

Last month was my worst period pain ever, so I decided to try and do something about it. I'm a week into my month-long 'experiment' and am eager to see what the results will be next month... Usually I am having to take Tylenol and stay in bed for 1 or 2 days.

Here's what I'm trying:

No dairy at all,
                      Lots of seafood / seaweed,
                      Slightly less meat than usual.
                      Supplemental: Iodine, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Fermented CLO, Adrenal Glands with Liver
                      Extra Salt, turmeric, coconut, dark chocolate.
                      No or minimal contact with estrogen mimickers and chemicals including: cosmetics, hair/body care, deodorant, plastics.

And, for the first time, I have bought some unbleached, natural sanitary products.

Let's keep this thread going ladies, I for one, would love to see the end of my painful periods... so all ideas and recommendations are good.
                      SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                      “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

resveratrol
                        vitamin C
                        turmeric
                        onion
                        rosemary
                        green tea daily
                        bee propolis
                        evening primrose
                        borage
                        reduced dairy and meat
                        I remember evening primrose working really well for me - had to take it all month to have an effect. Mine were not as bad as yours, but I found myself surprised by my monthly arrival because I didn't have cramps to warn me.
                        My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
                          Me too. Though I'm starting out at a very low dose
                          I haven't started it yet, but I'm also going to start out with a low dose; 1 drop every other day plus more sea vegetables throughout the week. I don't want to create anymore problems, I have plenty, lol. I already take magnesium supplement without issue and plan to start taking morning primrose daily. My doc recommended taking 3x the dose (morning primrose) the week before AF. It's highly anti-inflammatory, so now I just have to be consistent and actually take it. Heh

Comment

I haven't started it yet, but I'm also going to start out with a low dose; 1 drop every other day plus more sea vegetables throughout the week. I don't want to create anymore problems, I have plenty, lol. I already take magnesium supplement without issue and plan to start taking morning primrose daily. My doc recommended taking 3x the dose (morning primrose) the week before AF. It's highly anti-inflammatory, so now I just have to be consistent and actually take it. Heh
                            Yes, gamma linolenic acid in evening primrose oil is highly anti-inflammatory. Not all omega 6 oils are inflammatory. Here's a link just in case anyone's in doubt (because it's an omega 6):

Gamma linolenic acid: an antiinflammat... [Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
                            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I just found this for you ladies:
                              Has iodine cured anyone's monthly menstrual cramps?
                              ==========================================
                              Q) Has anyone been cured of severe monthly pain from taking iodine?
                              Grizz

A) Yes, I had severe adenomyosis (endometriosis within the uterine walls) and had horrible symptoms from it, was basically in pain 3 weeks out of the month and taking loads of prescription pain killers. Cured it with iodine, thyroid meds, and progesterone. My doctor was totally baffled and a little irked that I was able to cure something he told me was impossible.
                              Linn - Yahoo! Groups
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post733107
                              Grizz

Comment

Thanks for that Grizz.

The problem is for me, with the iodine, that I'm getting such bad detox symptoms from using it that I'm sure my period this month won't be any better than last...! I have so many nasties being released, due to my increase in iodine, that my body is actually putting on fat to try and stop them circulating in my system! (for the first time since starting Paleo, I'm actually gaining weight, even though my diet is even CLEANER, with no dairy, than before!)

I think I probably have a long way to go before my periods get any better, the first being detox! Still, I'll keep on following my protocol, and will for sure report back any changes in symptoms. If I can detox these heavy metals and halides with the iodine I'm sure it will go a long way to healing all my health problems, especially my female related ones!

Good luck with the evening primrose oil j3nn, let us know how that goes and if you get good results.
                                SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                                “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

Working...
                                X