Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Conquered Insomnia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has Anyone Conquered Insomnia?

    I have some serious problems with sleep, and it interferes with life in general almost every day. It's actually gotten worse since I went Paleo, which is frustrating. I can generally fall asleep ok, thanks in part to a dose of magnesium (Calm), but staying asleep is impossible. Even though I go to bed between 10:30-11:00 every night, I wake up without fail between 4:00-5:00 a.m. Most nights I never fall back asleep. I'm miserable, feeling sick every day from being so tired.

    I've been searching through the old threads to see what everyone has to say. I see a lot of advice, but virtually none of it (from what I can tell) is from people who have actually suffered from insomnia and managed to conquer it. I already do the following: no caffeine after 10:00 a.m., melatonin and magnesium shortly before bed, installed F.lux on my laptop, try to avoid watching any TV too close to bed (usually read my kindle instead), keep my bedroom at a comfortably cool temperature, don't snack after dinner, installed blackout curtains in my bedroom, run an air filter for white noise.

    Is there anyone out there who has beat this problem of waking up early? I am NOT doing well on just 5-6.5 hours of sleep per night. This stinks!

  • #2
    ah, I had just the opposite. I wouldn't be able to fall asleep to save my life.

    drinking tart cherry juice helped me get to sleep and stay sleeping. i'd say give it a shot.

    good luck! i feel your pain.

    Comment


    • #3
      Any reason you can't go to sleep even earlier? Also, eating carbs, preferably something starchy, at night can help.

      Comment


      • #4
        You're probably nocturnal, silly. Find a night shift. Worked for me!
        Crohn's, doing SCD

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ppham27 View Post
          Any reason you can't go to sleep even earlier? Also, eating carbs, preferably something starchy, at night can help.
          I've tried that, but my body adjusts accordingly! I swear I've got an internal alarm clock. I just wish I could reset the dumb thing to go off after 8 hours instead of 5-6.5!

          Comment


          • #6
            I have this problem too, Kim, albeit not every night. A couple nights ago, I woke up at 2:45 and never got back to sleep.

            All I can do is watch what I eat at night and avoid the caffeine and hope for the best. I do drink a glass of Sleepytime Tea. It helps calm me, too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KimInGA View Post
              I have some serious problems with sleep, and it interferes with life in general almost every day. It's actually gotten worse since I went Paleo, which is frustrating. I can generally fall asleep ok, thanks in part to a dose of magnesium (Calm), but staying asleep is impossible. Even though I go to bed between 10:30-11:00 every night, I wake up without fail between 4:00-5:00 a.m. Most nights I never fall back asleep. I'm miserable, feeling sick every day from being so tired.

              I've been searching through the old threads to see what everyone has to say. I see a lot of advice, but virtually none of it (from what I can tell) is from people who have actually suffered from insomnia and managed to conquer it. I already do the following: no caffeine after 10:00 a.m., melatonin and magnesium shortly before bed, installed F.lux on my laptop, try to avoid watching any TV too close to bed (usually read my kindle instead), keep my bedroom at a comfortably cool temperature, don't snack after dinner, installed blackout curtains in my bedroom, run an air filter for white noise.

              Is there anyone out there who has beat this problem of waking up early? I am NOT doing well on just 5-6.5 hours of sleep per night. This stinks!
              Kim,
              I had been suffering the same exact problem for years and I found the most surprising solution. Within just a few days of supplementing with iodine, my insomnia problems disappeared. Not only that but a week later, I began to have clear & vivid dreams where I could never remember having any dreams at all. Then I noticed my Brain Fog was lifting, and my memory improved.

              But the miracles did not stop there. Within 1 month it was clear that my Prostate Problems were fading away ! ! Now this week after 6 weeks on iodine supplements, I notice my rather high resting heart rate (95 to 105 for decades) has finally dropped to a more normal 80bpm AND bowel movements are fast & clean.

              It turns out the the majority of Americans are severely deficient in iodine. Iodine deficiency is the single major cause of female problems and cancers.
              Severe Deficiency Symptoms for the ladies:
              * Migraine headaches (5,6)
              * Painful periods/heavy periods (5,6)
              * Pelvic pain (5,6)
              * PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome-cysts on the ovaries ) (5,6)
              * Endometriosis (5,6)
              * Fibroid Tumors (5,6)
              * Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) (5,6)
              * Breast pain (fibrous tissue) (5,6)
              * Cancers in female breasts & organs (5,6)

              Severe Deficiency Symptoms for the Men
              * Prostate problems including Cancer (7,8)
              * testicular cancer (7,8)
              (5) Iodine Deficiency and Estrogen Dominant Diseases - Jorge D. Flechas, MD - YouTube
              (6) Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
              (7) Cancer and Iodine - The Iodine Project
              (8) Iodine Deficiency - An Under-Recognized Epidemic

              Dr. Brownstein recommends starting on 1/2 dose of 12mg iodoral available from Amazon.Com
              Iodine Therapy

              Please read this link. Taking iodine WILL detox poisons from your body that were hiding in your iodine receptors. Every cell in your body requires iodine! Also study this entire site. It is a major authority on iodine.
              Iodine-related bromide detox symptoms and strategies

              The more research you do on iodine, the more amazing it becomes.
              Grizz
              Last edited by Grizz; 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                Kim,
                I had been suffering the same exact problem for years and I found the most surprising solution. Within just a few days of supplementing with iodine, my insomnia problems disappeared. Not only that but a week later, I began to have clear & vivid dreams where I could never remember having any dreams at all. Then I noticed my Brain Fog was lifting, and my memory improved.
                I did start taking iodine about 2 weeks ago (after reading about it on this forum), but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to my sleep. I am putting 3-5 drops of Lugol's 2% solution in my coffee each morning. Maybe the amount I'm adding is insufficient? I am wary of going too high, too fast. I found out the hard way that the recommended dosage of magnesium of 2 rounded tsp was about double what my body will tolerate!! (Magnesium is apparently a very effective laxative! )

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KimInGA View Post
                  I did start taking iodine about 2 weeks ago (after reading about it on this forum), but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to my sleep. I am putting 3-5 drops of Lugol's 2% solution in my coffee each morning. Maybe the amount I'm adding is insufficient? I am wary of going too high, too fast. I found out the hard way that the recommended dosage of magnesium of 2 rounded tsp was about double what my body will tolerate!! (Magnesium is apparently a very effective laxative! )
                  1 Drop Lugol's 2% = Iodine 1.0 mg, Iodide 1. 5 mg = 2.5 mgs total per drop.
                  5 drops = 12.5 mg which is perfect and equal to the low dose iodoral capsule.

                  Too bad this didn't help your insomnia. It did wonders for me!
                  Here is the next best idea: Take 1 or 2 melatonin pills just before going to bed. You will sleep like a baby all night.

                  Grizz

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Stop it, Grizz.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                      1 Drop Lugol's 2% = Iodine 1.0 mg, Iodide 1. 5 mg = 2.5 mgs total per drop.
                      5 drops = 12.5 mg which is perfect and equal to the low dose iodoral capsule.

                      Too bad this didn't help your insomnia. It did wonders for me!
                      Here is the next best idea: Take 1 or 2 melatonin pills just before going to bed. You will sleep like a baby all night.

                      Grizz
                      Hmm ... since I have the 2% solution, I would need to add 12 drops to get up to 12 mg. Maybe I need to try more, since I've never taken more than 5 drops.

                      I do take a melatonin pill, but I've never tried 2. The brand I have has 3 mg Melatonin with 25 mg Theanine in each pill. I'll try 2 tonight and see if that helps.

                      Thanks for the advice!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You probably just need to take an hour or two nap in the middle of the day. I sometimes have irregular sleep patterns, but I don't make any big deal about it because I'm able to nap any time I like.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Or just go to sleep when your body tells you instead of when the TV says you should.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Have you tried completely eliminating coffee? I had the "can't fall asleep" variety of insomnia for a long time. Eliminating all caffeine helped immensely.
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                            http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Grizz thinks iodine (last month it was vitamin D) is the cure for everything. He has an established pattern of grabbing hold of one panacea and relentlessly hyping it for weeks or months before he moves on to the next "miracle".

                              Not saying he's wrong--just be aware of the pattern, and take his advice with a pinch of salt. Iodized or regular is up to you of course.
                              Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

                              My Primal Journal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X