No announcement yet.

Asians on Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian Mix here too - (Filipino on Mother's side )

Being Asian, we ate jasmine rice daily, including sometimes as dessert with coconut milk. My mother is a tiny size 2 and can eat rice several times daily and has the energy of 3 yo with ADHD sipping on Kool Aid.

For me, eating rice was the ultimate comfort food. Comforting and tasty. But it set me up to be soooooo very sleepy and tired afterwards. Then I would be hungry in a snap again, then an ongoing, awful spiral of carb cravings and feedings would continue. .

I havent had rice in 2 wks. I dont miss it strangely, but I do feel guilty for not participating in something so culturally significant. But uber glad to be off the carb swing monster.

So in summary, I do think genetics has a big part of metabolism. 61 full filipino first cousins living all over the world, none are overweight and can eat rice without any limitations. 5 cousins that are mixed white, like myself, 4 are 25 - 30 lbs overweight. On my father's side, all of my American white cousins are battling obesity, not just heavy, but obese.

Other strange Asian affliction....I can't drink alcohol, not even a few sips of lovely Sangria. I immediately turn red, start sweating, heart pounds and just sniffing wine makes me stupid loopy.

Comment

Also - true that Filipinos are at high risk of diabetes, but only when they adopt the S.A.D way of eating either here in the U.S. or elsewhere. When they break away from eating their veggies, seafood and foods cooked with vinegar and ginger etc....their health does suffer. Those Filipinos leaving close or in the city with access to fast food and prepackaged items are greatly at risk of diabetes. Those still living off the land retain their good health and longevity. This seems to be true of all Asians, sadly enough.

Comment

See the thing about rice is that feudal lords needed something to feed their masses of peasants while they kept most of the meat for themselves.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
          See the thing about rice is that feudal lords needed something to feed their masses of peasants while they kept most of the meat for themselves.
          Ehhhhhhh not really. Wealthier people could afford the luxury of the coveted hulled white rice. Peasants ate brown rice and almost no meat.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by Brandy72 View Post
            So in summary, I do think genetics has a big part of metabolism. 61 full filipino first cousins living all over the world, none are overweight and can eat rice without any limitations. 5 cousins that are mixed white, like myself, 4 are 25 - 30 lbs overweight. On my father's side, all of my American white cousins are battling obesity, not just heavy, but obese.
            Couldn't you also attribute this to lifestyle choice? Are the white mixed cousins living in the US? Maybe they don't exercise as much or are under chronic stress.

Comment

Welp, there goes that hypothesis.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                Welp, there goes that hypothesis.
                Lol, I love how you stated your guess as fact.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                  Lol, I love how you stated your guess as fact.
                  It's how I roll on the internets, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandy72 View Post
                    Other strange Asian affliction....I can't drink alcohol, not even a few sips of lovely Sangria. I immediately turn red, start sweating, heart pounds and just sniffing wine makes me stupid loopy.
                    Ahhh.... that's your lack of enzymes, that is Apparently Asia brewed tea in ye olden days when water was unsafe, whereas Europe brewed beer *hic* and developed tolerance for alcohol *hic*

I think genetics and heritage lead to tendencies - see the lactase enzyme expression data - but yes we have to be careful not to confuse genetics with e.g. poverty or cultural issues

Comment

Another Filipino here on the primal diet. Been primal since Feb 14 and have lost 55 lbs. I missed rice at the beginning, but not anymore.
                      Primal Journal of a Filipino Cherokee Grok
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53103.html

SAD weight: 250
                      Current Primal weight: 183.2

Comment

Originally posted by rccrsphil View Post
                        Another Filipino here on the primal diet. Been primal since Feb 14 and have lost 55 lbs. I missed rice at the beginning, but not anymore.
                        I don't, either. I prefer sweet potatoes, but I won't turn down my dad's champurrado.
                        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

South Korean here!!!

I lost a considerable amount of weight last summer. However, due to stress-related problems I gained it all back and now I'm restarting primal. I found that it is quite easy to have meals without rice. I eat a lot of kimchi, meat, fish, and those wrapped in lettuce. I feel a lot more energized from eating primal than high-carb, for sure.
                          Starting Weight: 165
                          Current Weight: 155
                          Goal Weight: 130

Comment

Filipino here! I've used Miracle Rice for a little while until I no longer missed white or brown rice altogether, and I've been much better for it. People proclaim to be addicted to rice, but I know of very few people who would eat it by itself--i.e. no condiments, butter, seasonings, or mixing with other foods.
                            In Sanity,
                            Charlie

Weight: 350/200 (within 16 months)/205
                            Body Fat: 50%/12%/10%

A Day in the Life of Groktimus Prime

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                              Couldn't you also attribute this to lifestyle choice? Are the white mixed cousins living in the US? Maybe they don't exercise as much or are under chronic stress.
                              Can't fully attest to my mixed cousin's stress levels...they look happy on facebook though! Of the 4 mixed one's that are heavy, 2 grew up in Norway and still reside there and the other 2 are stateside, but grew up as Air Force brats like myself all over the place.

I know it's only my casual observation of course, but I have always found the differences interesting and frustrating.

Very glad to see so many Asians achieving success living Primal. Super motivating.

Comment

another half south korean checking in. As for people above talking about race not being an issue and that genetics are genetics, I completely agree. However from a cultural standpoint, rice has been a huge staple in my life...my earliest memories are my mom standing over her rice cooker, making sure it was working hard while she prepared the afternoon meal.

That being said, going paleo was easy for me. On the instances I go home to visit, I just skip the rice. Kimchee and most korean dishes and sides are very compliant (except the ones that have soy sauce). I do "cheat" for kim bap though (korean sushi). No way I'm turning that down!
                                Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Comment

Working...
                                X