Kindergarten EarthWatch Week Brainwashing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindergarten EarthWatch Week Brainwashing

So in my daughter's Kindergarten class at a public school, it is Operation EarthWatch with a theme of Water Conservation. Kids should choose 3 of the following activities to focus on during the week: water use, water-wise fruit and vegetable washing, stream walk along a local stream, water art, creating a circle of nature in your yard and finally meatless meals. I really hate the last one, the others are harmless.

The materials premise their arguments with the notion that what you eat not only matters for one's own health but the health of the planet and uses wheat farming versus meat production as an example claiming that it requires only 25 gallons of water to produce a pound of wheat but 2500 gallons of water to produce a pound of meat. It says one should try to eat a meatless meal this week like a cheese pizza instead of a pepperoni one or a bean and cheese burrito instead of a beef one.

I can't stand it.

That's nothing. You should see what goes on in California. The whole tofu, whole grains, meatless crap. But worse, the kids can't play tag, or doge ball, or run on the playground and they've removed swings and monkey bars at almost all the public schools. Learning to appreciate water is a good thing. Too bad about the meatless stuff. But, honestly, I don't see how it would be possible for everyone on earth to eat the way we do here at MDA.

Comment

The American education system exists to indoctrinate not educate
      Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
      Starting Weight: 294 pounds
      Current Weight: 235 pounds
      Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
        Tru Dat +1
        And the meek shall inherit the earth.
        What good is a used up world, and how could it be worth having?

Comment

this!
          A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

Comment

When it rains, grass grows. Cows eat grass. Therefore if we stop eating cows, the rain water will stop making the grass grow.

Is that the logic they are trying to teach us?

Comment

They treat water as if it is somehow used up but its not, it just moves from place to place. When growing wheat, much of it would evaporate away, where as beef grazing, water goes into the soil into the grass, into the cow, and cycles back into the soil for the most part. If you measure the water at each step, its a lot, but most of that water was already there.
              www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Comment

At my son's kindergarten the kids are given these choices for milk: skim (and I heard all the kids say it's the "best" and "healthy" choice when I was subbing the other day), skim chocolate and 1% white. They also are not allowed to use plastic knives until 3rd grade. Yes, I was cutting food for 5 and 6 year olds. It was "too cold" (only 40 degrees, above normal temps for this time of year) for recess and playtime outdoors, in the sunshine and fresh air I might add. Oh, and nearly every kid on Monday chose the "breakfast for lunch" option: a waffle (very oddly yellow and square) with "maple syrup," surely made from HFCS and flavorings and colorings. Nothing resembling what came out of a tree. Two kids chose the cheeseburger, though I am sure it was the world's worst beef. A few even bothered to eat the fruit (apple slices in a bag or a cup of oranges). And not one kid had the student salad. And what is a student salad, a kid cut up and placed on lettuce?

And this is why my kids usually bring their own lunches from home, and they don't even eat Primal/Paleo most of the time.
                I NEED Sunshine! And a beach would be nice too!
                Started Primal living February 14, 2011

Comment

Yeah, the indoctrination is annoying, but unavoidable if you send them to public school. My son told me the other day we needed to work on making healthier breakfasts. I took offense... our breakfasts always consist of eggs, a small portion of bacon, fruit, and water to drink. I asked him why, and he said it was because the bacon was "greasy." Ugh.

And I'm absolutely certain that he would behave better at school if he had more recess time to run.

Comment

I wonder why they don't teach them how much water is contaminated and polluted by industrial fertilizers or how much fuel is used in giant tractors during the growing and production of grains.

Comment

That whole, no dodgeball or tag thing at school really bothers me. I think overprotective, helicopter parents are to blame for most of the changes in school these days.
                      My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielle5690 View Post
                        Yeah, the indoctrination is annoying, but unavoidable if you send them to public school. My son told me the other day we needed to work on making healthier breakfasts. I took offense... our breakfasts always consist of eggs, a small portion of bacon, fruit, and water to drink. I asked him why, and he said it was because the bacon was "greasy." Ugh.

And I'm absolutely certain that he would behave better at school if he had more recess time to run.
                        It's the Prussian Model, it's bound to happen.
                        Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                        Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                        Current Weight: 235 pounds
                        Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by 1949katie View Post
                          ...But, honestly, I don't see how it would be possible for everyone on earth to eat the way we do here at MDA.
                          This is a problem of overpopulation and ecosystem damage, not with a Primal diet. Industrial monocropping isn't actually sustainable either, despite what the agribusiness lobbies would like you to think.

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
                          I wonder why they don't teach them how much water is contaminated and polluted by industrial fertilizers or how much fuel is used in giant tractors during the growing and production of grains.
                          Or how much rain doesn't fall all over the world due to clear-cutting forests to make farmland? Or how many mountain streams are filled in with heavy metals-laden sediment from runoff due to mountaintop-removal coal mining, to power the fertilizer factories?

If you want more and better water sources, stop monocropping and start rewilding, ranching, and growing using permaculture methods that build soil and provide habitat for wildlife. Forests and savannahs MAKE rain.

But no, that message might undermine the MEAT IS EVIL mythology that our culture has stupidly bought into. Graaaargh.
                          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Get the federal govt out of education!
                            Primal (2013)
                            Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
                            Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
                              It says one should try to eat a meatless meal this week like a cheese pizza instead of a pepperoni one or a bean and cheese burrito instead of a beef one.

I can't stand it.
                              Is it magic cheese? You still need to raise a cow using the same amount of water to get that cheese...face meet palm.
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X