Any Logical Arguments AGAINST Paleo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Logical Arguments AGAINST Paleo?

I've been looking around for videos and articles where people criticize the primal/paleo diet. And they're all bullshit. Some say that cutting out dairy would mean we wouldn't be getting enough calcium and vitamin D. These people must not understand evolution. We don't evolve for 2 million years towards having a DEPENDENCY for a food that we haven't come into contact with. That makes absolutely no sense.

And you can apply that to everything else: Grains? Too much saturated fat? The diet is a reflection of what we evolved to eat. Evolution must be playing a joke on us if we evolved to eat in a way that we have never done before, with foods that are alien to our bodies.

I can't even imagine a logical argument against paleo/primal because it would be contradicting evolution.

I haven't seen any. If you find one, let me know.

Comment

The strongest argument is that it is difficult(not impossible) to feed the entire current world population with it.
      Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
        The strongest argument is that it is difficult(not impossible) to feed the entire current world population with it.
        Which is of course total bull crap. If there is a profit involved, people will find a way.

Comment

Whereas we are feeding everyone on the planet quite nicely with the carb- and sugar-heavy diet.

Oh...
          Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Originally posted by Grok View Post
            Which is of course total bull crap. If there is a profit involved, people will find a way.
            There's generally not much profit in preventing starvation, if you don't believe in a welfare state.
            Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Rip @ MIPWID View Post
              Whereas we are feeding everyone on the planet quite nicely with the carb- and sugar-heavy diet.

Oh...
              My (cursory) understanding is that GMO grains are pretty much what's keeping the poorest billion alive. Perhaps I am incorrect?
              Lifting Journal

Comment

There's generally not much profit in preventing starvation, if you don't believe in a welfare state.
                I don't follow the logic in this statement. How do you reach this conclusion?

My (cursory) understanding is that GMO grains are pretty much what's keeping the poorest billion alive. Perhaps I am incorrect?
                That is what Monsanto wants you to think. The fact is that governments are causing most of the starvation in the world. The poorest billion most likely live in the most tyrannical countries.

We could also get into how our government subsidizes the grain industry and we are dumping all our grains on the poor nations at cheap prices which prevent the poor from selling their own grains.

Comment

I was talking to my brother about paleo and the foods we evolved eating. In the middle of the conversation he asked, "well what if we just haven't yet evolved to eat the foods that are good for us?". Some people just don't understand evolution.

Comment

That's the funniest thing I've read all day.
                    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Originally posted by Grok View Post
                      We could also get into how our government subsidizes the grain industry and we are dumping all our grains on the poor nations at cheap prices which prevent the poor from selling their own grains.

Comment

I was speaking in terms of paleo/primal being healthy or not.

People can argue it's too expensive, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DubleYoo View Post
                          I was talking to my brother about paleo and the foods we evolved eating. In the middle of the conversation he asked, "well what if we just haven't yet evolved to eat the foods that are good for us?". Some people just don't understand evolution.
                          What's his definition of "good foods"? Whole grain? Low fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
                            What's his definition of "good foods"? Whole grain? Low fat?
                            I think he was playing devil's advocate a bit, but I think he only considers fruits and vegetables healthy, maybe fish but he thinks 2 servings of fish a week will give someone mercury poisoning. He doesn't let it affect what he actually eats though, mainly Chef Boyardee and cookies.

Comment

Actually, the logical arguments go like this:
                              1) We don't know what paleo man ate, and it was likely a highly varied diet
                              2) We know very little about how he lived and what diseases he may have suffered from
                              3) The fact that we didn't evolve with a food doesn't mean it's unhealthy (SQUASHES! BUFFALO!) and the fact that we evolved with a food doesn't mean it's healthy (NUTS! CHARRED MEAT (AGEs)!)
                              4) There is no logical reason why modern man couldn't invent a food which was in fact ideal for human health.

#3 is nitpicking and #4 is true, but well, modern man doesn't seem to be very good at inventing healthy foods.
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
                              X