Does PB affect personality?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does PB affect personality?

I am now well into my second month of Primal and find it really easy to do. Like most of us, the biggest step was to take out sugar, grains and legumes and add more meat, fish and fat. Vegetables I always had plenty.

Body-wise, results are remarkable. Although I have always been athletic, I started packing more muscle than ever before, with less exercise. I am not into Primal for weight-loss.

However, what I am curious about is whether others have experienced slight personality altering effects. I feel that I have started becoming more extroverted, open, outgoing and direct to other people. For more than 30 years, I considered myself a rather reserved person. Change is not spectacular but perceptible.

I don't know if it is due to better sleep (sleep has improved tremendously after going primal) or a testosterone uptake because of all the beef or is there is something else at play? Could a radical change of food affect the mind? T

I feel extremely good with it, so there is definitely no way back!

The most noticeable difference for me so far is not being anywhere near as irritable in the mornings.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Originally posted by erkan View Post
      I feel that I have started becoming more extroverted, open, outgoing and direct to other people. For more than 30 years, I considered myself a rather reserved person. Change is not spectacular but perceptible.
      I had this exact same experience. Not a clue why though...

Comment

I think that diet really affects brain chemistry and hormone output, so I think Primal could absolutely be contributing to your perceived personality shifts. It's the kind of diet that supports proper overall brain balance and doesn't contribute to low blood sugar-induced brain wave patterns (which can certainly up anxiety levels and inhibit frontal lobe function, leaving us at the mercy of our reactive amygdalas, making us more tense, reactive, emotional, insecure, etc.)
        http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

I think that - in a large degree - primal starts with how you view your diet....and that beginning....it slowly spreads to how you see many other things. you want to get to the very nature of things, the very marrow of existence.
          I know I do.

For me it was a radical, yet subtle, alteration. ....It has changed me for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by erkan View Post
            However, what I am curious about is whether others have experienced slight personality altering effects. I feel that I have started becoming more extroverted, open, outgoing and direct to other people. For more than 30 years, I considered myself a rather reserved person. Change is not spectacular but perceptible.
            Yes, yes. I'm a total misanthrope. On bad days I hate people and on good days I just don't care about them or notice them. I could live as a hermit and be happy. But lately I feel happy all the time, burning deep inside and welling outward. I smile when people talk to me. I don't feel quite so awkard around people. I don't feel as depressive and pessimistic. I feel happy, outgoing, optimistic, friendly. I'll even initiate a conversation sometimes. I feel a deep peace inside me, an electric buzzing full of heat and life energy. Sometimes I just feel like breaking out into a run, and sometimes I even do it. The other day I actually had the assertiveness to kick someone off a hike I was leading. I'm usually too wimpy to exert such authority and have to resort to manipulation rather than just be direct. This time I just told it like it was: You can't keep up, you can't be on my hike, time for you to sign out.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I wonder the same thing. I think it has to do with eating the right things that end up making us feel better and that reflects outwardly in the long-run. I don't feel quite so depressed, I'm a little more outgoing (despite being an introvert) and I do find myself a little more motivated and assertive. Many people have commented off/on this forum re: sex drive - and I think that is also because we are getting the right nutrients. So it's many things it affects.....
              sigpic My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Comment

same experience

Originally posted by jenh View Post
                I wonder the same thing. I think it has to do with eating the right things that end up making us feel better and that reflects outwardly in the long-run. I don't feel quite so depressed, I'm a little more outgoing (despite being an introvert) and I do find myself a little more motivated and assertive. Many people have commented off/on this forum re: sex drive - and I think that is also because we are getting the right nutrients. So it's many things it affects.....
                I definitely felt emotionally better when I began this journey. I am now however wondering why I seem to be falling backwards... I feel like I've reached a plateau and it is a bit discouraging. I haven't been exercising as much, so that may be accounting for this lag.

Any thoughts?

Comment

I catch myself scowling more. Walking by mirrors and windows I think, "What's that guy worried about?". But maybe I'm just beginning my descent into the cranky old man realm. At 29.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                    I think that diet really affects brain chemistry and hormone output, so I think Primal could absolutely be contributing to your perceived personality shifts. It's the kind of diet that supports proper overall brain balance and doesn't contribute to low blood sugar-induced brain wave patterns (which can certainly up anxiety levels and inhibit frontal lobe function, leaving us at the mercy of our reactive amygdalas, making us more tense, reactive, emotional, insecure, etc.)
                    Agree w/ hazyjane. You may find some of the writing at Evolutionary Psychiatry interesting. Lots about nutrition (paleo/primal emphasis) and the implications for mental health etc... (Map of the blog here: Evolutionary Psychiatry: Map)
                    My Before/After Pics
                    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      I catch myself scowling more. Walking by mirrors and windows I think, "What's that guy worried about?". But maybe I'm just beginning my descent into the cranky old man realm. At 29.
                      No No, you really don't descend int that stage until you start doing stupid things all the time and other people start acting weird around you. It really starts with something like ill health or something similar.
                      Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
                      I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
                      Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
                      ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                        This, and sleeping better, easily explains it (healthy body, healthy mind) and yes I felt the same thing despite my grumpy online persona.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                          If you scowl more, it’s because you’re more tired because you’re working night shift! I highly doubt the cause is being Primal....

Comment

Wife!
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Great to hear that others also have the same experience. It's a good feeling, though. It's more fun. Thanks also for the interesting links.

Comment

Working...
                              X