Mourning old ways...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mourning old ways...

Do y'all ever mourn the fact that you don't/can't eat like everyone else?

I really love food and cooking, and the paleo cookbooks are nice and all, but I like to look at other folks' stuff too--and sometimes, I just get angry that there are SO MANY things I have to avoid (either from choice or necessity), and I REALLY wish I could eat those things without the deleterious effects I know they have on my body.

Anyone else struggle with this from time to time?

Not really. If anything, learning about this way of eating made my dietary choices easier. At least I now have a solid basis for WHY I always felt better on a protein and fat heavy diet. Hell, I'm a pretty good pastry maker, and my homemade cakes are the talk of my office, but I don't have any real temptation to return to eating that stuff.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Comment

I don't have a problem.
      Most of the things you are talking about (grains etc) are just carriers for flavour and sauce. A lot of people say they love rice, they love pasta but would never eat a bowl of it on its own. All the flavours are there for you and by avoiding those grains you can replace the calories you would have had from them with foot that is full of nutrition.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Yea, sometimes. So, I go ahead and have it.
        Then I realize that it doesn't taste quite as good as I remembered. Sometimes, I end up spitting it out.
        "What the hell IS this garbage?!"
        “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Ive grown up in the SF bay area and damn I love me some real good sourdough bread, especially lightly toasted with some butter on it. I think that is really the only wheat-based thing I am genuinely sad to not be able to have all the time anymore. I cant even have it as an occasional little treat cause ive gotten real sensitive to gluten. :/ le sigh.
          "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
            Ive grown up in the SF bay area and damn I love me some real good sourdough bread, especially lightly toasted with some butter on it. I think that is really the only wheat-based thing I am genuinely sad to not be able to have all the time anymore. I cant even have it as an occasional little treat cause ive gotten real sensitive to gluten. :/ le sigh.
            I read somewhere that sourdough was the healthiest type of bread because of the fermentation process used in making it.

Comment

This is probably where I read it.

I don’t advocate the consumption of bread, but if you’re going to treat yourself to any gluten grain-derived food, make real, long-fermented sourdough bread the one.

Comment

No, I don't miss that stuff.
                It's what I call "fewd", not real food. I simply say "I don't eat that", not "I don't eat that anymore". For me it's a mental switch.
                48, 5'11" - SW 301 (01/08/12) - CW 217.5 (5/14/13) - GW 185 +2.6% this week. -27.7% total. -83.5 lbs. (so far!)

"Today when you mention "barbeque" people will think about throwing a hotdog or a couple burgers on the grill. But if you invite me to a "barbeque" and there's not some sort of slow-smoked meat involved, I'll hope you step on a Lego." - Instructables.com member Javin007

Comment

I just finished reading "The Paleo Answer" and was kind of bummed out on Cordain's stance on capsaiscin. Pretty much good with the rest of it, but I do like my chili. Will have a tough time with that and may cut back, won't eliminate.
                  "When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... you find someone to carry you."

Onward....my primal journal
                  2012 Slow Movement Challenge: My distance so far = 665 kM

My Map My Tracks Profile

Comment

I actually feel pity for people when I see them eating the poisonous things I once considered food.

Comment

I still do eat all of that stuff, just much more occasionally than I used to. I don't feel deprived at all. I'm not worried about a couple beers a week and the occasional basket of In 'n' Out french fries. I'm in good health, I feel great, and I keep getting fitter and stronger as time goes by.
                      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
                        I actually feel pity for people when I see them eating the poisonous things I once considered food.
                        I felt like that for a while, and still mostly do.

However, if I go to a food event, with a menu like this: https://twitter.com/#!/Appetite4Jxn/...980096/photo/1

I want to be able to try lots of things, and not feel like I have to be restricted to 1 or 2. That's all.

Comment

Not really, which honestly surprises me. I used to enjoy pasta and bread but don't have mad cravings or urges to dive into them when my family have them for their meals. The amount of fat I eat also tends to take care of cravings and longings for the food I used to eat. But if I do have mad cravings for something, I eat it and get back on the wagon the next mealtime.
                          Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

I've felt twinges of this (although only with what I 'can't' eat, not with cooking), but the more I learn about CW and health, the less I feel that way. Somehow find a way to change your thinking from 'being deprived' to 'being awakened', because you ARE eating in a healthier way following this type of diet, and your body will thank you for it. The more choices you have in terms of recipes and foods, the less alienated you will feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Clabbergirl View Post
                              I've felt twinges of this (although only with what I 'can't' eat, not with cooking), but the more I learn about CW and health, the less I feel that way. Somehow find a way to change your thinking from 'being deprived' to 'being awakened', because you ARE eating in a healthier way following this type of diet, and your body will thank you for it. The more choices you have in terms of recipes and foods, the less alienated you will feel.
                              I'm good with it in my cooking. I can knock out delicious food all day, and I never feel deprived.

But, shit, man. When I'm in other environments--like at office lunch, or out with friends--being the weird guy who can't eat anything is getting old.

(This will pass in an hour, and I'll be back in my head again. Just something that pops up from time to time.)

Comment

Working...
                              X