Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to not seem like a DoucheBag when you're explaining Primal Living?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to not seem like a DoucheBag when you're explaining Primal Living?

Hi Everyone,

Please pardon my french in the Title but I'm at a Lack for Words.

I come from a biiiiig hispanic family that loooves to eat rice and beans with every meal. Every time I have to explain to someone that I dont eat grains they look at my like i've grown horns then I get the infamous question "porque?" (why?). Or I'll meet friends at a bar with great craft beers and order a glass of wine. Again i get the crazy looks.

What the simplest & most straight forward way to explain to my friends and family my choice to eliminate grains from my diet without sounding sounding pretentious (and without giving a biology lesson).

Thanks in Advance,

Analise

I just say, "Grains and things jack up my stomach." That seems to work. And it is true since they tend to make my midsection fatter

Comment

The simplest explanation is how awesome you look.

Comment

I would say:

"It's an anti poison lifestyle. And it's unfortunate, because most people don't even know about what they eat. Enjoy!"

Comment

"Grains and I don't get along well. Its just better for me and my health to avoid them."
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

Yeah, I explain it away by saying that grains give me horrible indigestion for days, and it makes me so sick that those foods don't even sound very appealing anymore.

Maybe a slight exaggeration... but not by much.
            ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Originally posted by vontrapp
            CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
            Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefGrok View Post
              I would say:

"It's an anti poison lifestyle. And it's unfortunate, because most people don't even know about what they eat. Enjoy!"
              just about anything other than this kind of response might work. it's tough. it may be easier to tell them that you just feel better eating this way, and not critique what they eat. certainly don't call it poison. that's just a bad idea.

Comment

Have you tried saying it in Spanish? Jk gl
                Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                Current Weight: 235 pounds
                Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
                  Have you tried saying it in Spanish? Jk gl
                  you're a dickhead.

Comment

Just say you are eating like your ancestors did if they could !

Real food, which your body prefers to the mass produced carbs. ??

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                      you're a dickhead.

and read the whole thing I posted
                      Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                      Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                      Current Weight: 235 pounds
                      Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post

and read the whole thing I posted
                        Some people have no sense of humor.

I'd just say tell them you're intolerant/allergic to wheat. For rice and beans just say they make you gassy. That's what I would use if I wanted to avoid confrontation. Although my dad is a dickhead(probably where I got it from) and guffawed in my face when I said I was allergic to gluten("since when?") when I refused some crap in a box he prepared with dinner last time I was over. But I don't need his approval or acceptance so whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Robthetrackie View Post
                          Just say you are eating like your ancestors did if they could !

Real food, which your body prefers to the mass produced carbs. ??
                          There is it again: the "real food" police. What an annoying phrase. Corn IS real food to Hispanic culture, just as wheat IS real food to European culture. "Mass produced" means "we don't starve." And the Grok argument doesn't go over well with overtly religious people. "Ancestors" is 8000 years ago, when they grew corn.

Stick with the "jack up your stomach" argument.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

"Porque me engorda mami!" that one works for my sister.

I also say shit like "I really like this (insert protein + guiso combo) you made today, and I want to eat more of that and less of the rice which fills me up. If you didn't make such banging ass food I would eat more rice."

I told my immediate fam (mom, dad, older sister) that white rice offers very little nutritionally and I'm trying to eat more nutritious things. However, I eat white rice prob 2x a week (carb refeeds ftw!) so my parents don't think I'm dieting, or whatever. Neither do I for the record, but you guys know what I mean. Gladly, we don't do beans all that often and I never turn down lentils, even if my stomach doesn't agree with them.

It's been two years now though, so they don't fuss as much. At first I was militant about NOT eating white rice/beans/etc. I was a perfect primal warrior for at least 6 months and they just got used to it. They saw I was actually ingesting food, and that was all they cared about in the end. Hispanics want to feed others, desperately, so just make sure they know you're eating and they should lay off.

I feel you though.
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I completely sympathize with you. My family is not hispanic, but we are from a Latin culture that eats a lot of beans, bread, desserts. Food is prepared with a lot of love and labour. Family meals are considered to be very sacred and refusing food is almost like an insult- especially to Abuelita.

Unfortunately, I can not eat traditional food as freely for a myriad of reasons: mental health, digestive issues, and concern with my dental health.

I deal with it simply by taking larger portions of the paleo-friendly things, and small portions of the rice/bread/dessert; and not stressing about the straying (I just count it as part of my 20%). If I can't finish it, that is ok. If somebody brings it up or insists (happens less often than I thought it would), I just say "Oh, this looks so good, but my stomach has been giving me problems lately." Or.. "I am full, but maybe later".

To me, this is a small trade-off in compasion to the social harmony that it maintains. IMHO, well lubricated social interaction should be considered a part of healthy living. In a tight-knit family where family meals is a socially important event, you will definitely need to strategize a bit. Everybody has different, limits though, so I think it is best to figure out what works well for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X