The Feminization of Males

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Guod View Post
    I am quite suprised to hear that "whites" have a better culture than "black" people. I thought it was just different.

Wow I guess those 60ies attitudes really do linger with some people.
    To be fair BCB said better cultural position not better culture. It is bullshit that I need to feel better about it though. I was born into my skin color the same as anyone else and I have no more control over it or my cultural position than anyone else. I should not feel bad or need to feel guilty about it anymore than someone else would need to feel inferior over theirs. Life is where you finish not where you begin.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChefGrok View Post
      Where the white women at?
      Not my house unfortunately.

Bart, they said you was hung!
      They was right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grok View Post
        Yeah, I watched it probably two dozen times as a kid.
        Get the DVD and watch it with the captioning on. For some reason, I couldn't get the to turn off one time, and it was even funnier. You can actually see what the old miner ("dag nabbit, sasser frasser...") is saying, and it's more than you think. Plus, there's just a lot of dialogue you miss.
        Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
          Life is where you finish not where you begin.
          +1
          And the meek shall inherit the earth.
          What good is a used up world, and how could it be worth having?

Comment

To be fair BCB said better cultural position not better culture. It is bullshit that I need to feel better about it though. I was born into my skin color the same as anyone else and I have no more control over it or my cultural position than anyone else. I should not feel bad or need to feel guilty about it anymore than someone else would need to feel inferior over theirs. Life is where you finish not where you begin.
            Not saying that you have to feel guilty about it, but acknowledge the fact that being born white in the US has distinct advantages over being born into a historically oppressed group that is still feeling the affects of systematically imposed racism which intentionally held black people back. Finishing ahead of those who start a few miles behind isn't the greatest accomplishment.
            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
              Get the DVD and watch it with the captioning on. For some reason, I couldn't get the to turn off one time, and it was even funnier. You can actually see what the old miner ("dag nabbit, sasser frasser...") is saying, and it's more than you think. Plus, there's just a lot of dialogue you miss.
              hehe I've always wondered what he says in this scene...

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                Not saying that you have to feel guilty about it, but acknowledge the fact that being born white in the US has distinct advantages over being born into a historically oppressed group that is still feeling the affects of systematically imposed racism which intentionally held black people back. Finishing ahead of those who start a few miles behind isn't the greatest accomplishment.
                Sure, but I am a dirty immigrant. Does that still count? :P

Comment

I lol'd
                  Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                  Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                  Current Weight: 235 pounds
                  Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

• Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                    I think what the topic is really a part of is this: American culture has fragmented due to people feeling the need to use traits from other cultures than their own (from across the world and immigrants). Instead of a culture of "One Right Way", I think our culture has become more careful with minority voices (of different cultures, not different skin colors). Call it open minded, weak minded, wise, or whatever you want. I think people have weaker and multiple voices from American culture telling them how to be. Much of it contradicts. I think 50 years ago, the voice of American culture was more unified.

I think that it's ultimately great for us to be going through such a change. There is no "one right way" for everyone. And as you increase the scope of land and population that you talk about, it becomes more and more important to have diversity in opinion and lifestyle.
                    Anybody want to reply to this?

Comment

• I should not feel bad or need to feel guilty about it anymore than someone else would need to feel inferior over theirs. Life is where you finish not where you begin.
                      Outside of colleges and universities and really snooty circles of white liberals who live in places like BoulderCO and Burlington VT (that are 98% white and they probably have some random guilt, but mainly they enjoy smug), no one is asking you to apologize for being a white man or to feel guilty. We still do a great job of admiring white men and electing them to be our leaders. We still think their acheivements are pretty cool, we just also now enjoy hearing about what women and other people did. I guess we have some affirmative action programs for contracting, but a smart white guy can find himself a good woman or other minority to partner with to harvest those fruits...

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by kenn View Post
                        I lol'd
                        No big surprise there.

Comment

Sure, but I am a dirty immigrant. Does that still count? :P
                          Comes with a whole different set of issues, depending on where you're from, whether you "pass" for white, have an accent, etc . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            no one is asking you to apologize for being a white man or to feel guilty.
                            It could always be interpretation or the wonders of reading instead of actually conversing but Blackcatbone said:

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                            This is a bullshit excuse made by white people (well I never owned slaves!) to make them feel better about their cultural position being better than that of most black people.
                            How would one make themselves feel better if there was not some perceived guilt or unfairness? If no one was expected to feel guilty or over privileged due to an accident of birth then they would have nothing to feel better about.

Oh, and I am quite happy with how my life turned out. I am married to 'a good woman'. I do not feel the need to use her to harvest fruits. Though she is Asian, but, right, that is not a real minority according to the good Rev. Sharpton.

Comment

Comes with a whole different set of issues, depending on where you're from, whether you "pass" for white, have an accent, etc . . .
                              I pass for white, no accent though I do have a rather pronounced lisp. Does sounding like Sylvester count as a disadvantage? All that aside, I am really just f*cking with you at this point. I have enough of my own failings to feel guilty about to worry if because of my skin color I should add some kind of group guilt for what some people who were totally unrelated to me did in a county I didn't live in until centuries/decades after they happened.

Comment

No big surprise there.
                                You do say ridiculous things sometimes
                                Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                                Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                                Current Weight: 235 pounds
                                Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Working...
                                X