Where is the Boundless Energy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the Boundless Energy?

The not liking mornings thread got me thinking. As I said in that thread, I'm really enjoying primal and I've definitely lost weight and am feeling fitter. But the boundless energy people talk of ... just hasn't happened for me ... and quite frankly, I want it! To me (after general health) this is one of the most attractive things about the primal lifestyle, the promise of feeling great all the time!

So what I am going to do here is detail my current diet and routine and see if more experienced primal people can spot some holes or offer advice as to what I might be missing or what I can change to try and find this energy utopia

So here's the info:

* I started primal at about 86kg, I'm down to 70kg. I don't want to lose any more weight but I still have the last roll of fat to lose around the waist.
    * I've altered my sleeping habits, I now go to bed at 10pm every night (or earlier), I generally wake around 5am. I'm a light sleeper, I always wake feeling tired.
    * I walk - slow movement almost every morning - usually between 3km and 5km.
    * I'm doing Mark Lauren's You are Your Own Gym every second day. Only on the beginner level.
    * I've started weekly sprints.
    * I have been IF (skipping breakfast) 3-4 days a week.
    * Typically, when I have breakfast it is my primal smoothie: 3 ice cubes, 1/3 cup berries (black, blue, raspberry, strawberry), 1 banana, 1 raw egg, half an avocado, 270ml coconut milk, 2 tblsp cinnamon, dash of vanilla essence.
    * Lunch is usually a salad of baby spinach, red and green peppers, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, carrot, canned tuna.
    * Dinner - usually steak, sometimes chicken, usually with 4-5 eggs fried in macadamia oil, again with the same sort of salad.
    * I have one, maybe two coffees a day before midday.

That's it - I don't cheat with other foods. I barely touch alcohol any more.

What am I missing?? Frustrating the hell out of me, I want to feel great like everyone else!
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

I'm not a member of the boundless energy club yet. But a few things I have found that really helped my energy increase were to increase offal in my diet (liver, bone marrow, chicken stock every week), adding iodine and magnesium to my diet.

The best energy I had on this diet was in the beginning when I was in ketosis and doing a bit more fasting. I can't find the discipline right now to go back to that. But I am going to try it again. I also found that giving up chocolate and coffee helped.

But, I am still waiting to find way to crazy good energy. I'm ecstatic with the gains I've made, but not there yet.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Try eggs with some meat for breakfast instead of a smoothie & ditch tuna for salmon. Generally feeling tired means not enough fat and protein.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I agree with the not enough protein. Maybe add more protein at lunch and a couple more eggs and some meat to breakfast.
        Originally posted by L8F
        ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

Comment

Interested on the benefits of salmon vs tuna, I admit I am more a fan of the tuna flavour.

On the smoothie for breakfast - it's pretty high fat with the coconut milk and avocado, plus it has an egg in it as well.

I am wondering whether it is not enough fat in the diet but I still have the mental baggage that if I eat much more I will put the weight back on.
          Buzz71
          Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net

Comment

Definitely get more protein overall, especially at breakfast. Doesn't really matter what. How much protein are you getting? Sounds like very little

I'd look at dropping smoothies though - eat food, don't drink it. You might try changing your IF pattern too.

No reason to drop tuna for salmon. You might want to check the omega 3 content of the tuna though. It varies enormously between species
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

confession - i didn't really read through your whole list, so i have nothing to critique... except the whole boundless energy line itself. it's marketing. far be it from me to say that primal eating won't make you feel or perform better. but "boundless energy?" come on.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                confession - i didn't really read through your whole list, so i have nothing to critique... except the whole boundless energy line itself. it's marketing. far be it from me to say that primal eating won't make you feel or perform better. but "boundless energy?" come on.
                Yet I've read plenty of posts from people on here saying they feel exactly that, so I think its more than marketing.
                Buzz71

Comment

Peril - I'm eating 4-5 eggs a day, a fairly significant amount of meat, I also do whey protein shakes sometimes. This isn't enough? What should I be targeting for more? Not disagreeing, just curious how I could add more.

Also, interested in why the smoothie is not a good option - tons of good fats in there and its a great way to eat the berries, I'm not a big fan of eating them straight.
                  Buzz71

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                    I'm not a member of the boundless energy club yet.
                    Me, neither. I noticed in your sig, jammies, that you have autoimmune arthritis. I have Hashimoto's. I wonder if the autoimmune factor plays a role, and whether the boundless energy can come before the autoimmunity is in remission? Just thinking out loud (out loud?)...

Comment

I have had the' boundless energy' since about 2 months into primal and it can be too much sometimes, as it can make me quite cocky, which was not a trait I previously had. Also I'm at risk of injury from working out so much. When the weather is better I'll walk more.

In my opinion, the most important factors for me are:
                      - very low carb breakfast, typically a 3-egg omelette with cheese and vegetables
                      - eating about 120 g carbs (mostly starch - 100g from white rice and the rest from veg) following a workout, in the evening, with plenty of protein and a moderate amount of fat compared to other meals
                      - being very active
                      - high vitamin D + calcium intake, as this increases metabolic rate, and optimises fat burning and building muscle
                      - eating around 7 portions of vegetables a day
                      - low fructose
                      - not tracking calories
                      - not cheating for the sake of it according to the 80:20 rule.

I find wild alaskan salmon to be superior to tuna in terms of omega 3 content. It's also much lower in mercury and other toxins. I'm eating at least 600 g a week. I can source it more cheaply than fresh tuna!

I've gained over 9lbs of muscle in the past 6 months and apparently that's very difficult for a female to achieve. Especially while losing about 21 lbs of fat at the same time. I'm now in a position whereby if I manage to get my BMI down to 25 purely by losing fat, my body fat percentage will be on the low side.

I have to confess I went primal/paleo after a 1-hour talk by a nutritionist at my local gym and only finished reading Mark's PB about 3 weeks ago. I think not obsessing about following a plan to the letter has helped me, and finding my own way, relying on intuition as well as research online.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz71 View Post
                        Peril - I'm eating 4-5 eggs a day, a fairly significant amount of meat, I also do whey protein shakes sometimes. This isn't enough? What should I be targeting for more? Not disagreeing, just curious how I could add more.

Also, interested in why the smoothie is not a good option - tons of good fats in there and its a great way to eat the berries, I'm not a big fan of eating them straight.
                        I guess I will throw my 2 cents in on this conversation. I agree that real food may serve better at breakfast in lieu of the smoothie but really only for mental reasons. I've noticed I feel fuller and have more energy (more on my interpretation of that, too) when I've actually eaten something rather than drinking my meal.

It sounds like you might be under eating and that may be contributing to your "lack of energy". You mentioned mental baggage about eating too much, but with a primal take on eating you should, theoretically, be able to eat as much as you want (until satiated) and still lose weight because a) you're re-programming your body and b) you are intaking better calories. With a decade of wrestling, another half decade of judo (both sports require dieting) and the Army Ranger School I've learned that when you feel a slump in energy it is time to take in calories. Healthy calories, that is - fat, protein, carbohydrates if you are engaged in serious physical activity.

Now, my take on the boundless energy. I'm convinced that the "boundless energy" phrase is a marketing strategy backed, albeit probably embellished, by real feelings. Boundless does not mean at any given moment you feel like hopping up and sprinting around the block. Sometimes you might feel like you have the energy to do so, sometimes not. What you should be feeling is a constant level of alertness throughout the day. The 3 o'clock slump should be gone, you shouldn't feel sleepy throughout the day, you should feel like you have the energy to tackle whatever you've got on your agenda. That said, you should be able to do a workout and still feel alert for the rest of the day. That is my interpretation of "boundless energy".

Sorry for the long rant, but hope my opinion offers some insight.

Jordan

Comment

Thanks Paleo-Bunny for the detailed post.

I'm still really low carb throughout my entire diet, even though I am doing a fair bit of exercise. I don't go near rice at all anymore.

I admit I still find the carb factor confusing in all of this.
                          Buzz71

Comment

Jordan, thats great thanks. I definitely don't have the sugar crashes. But right now, its 10am here, I've done a 4.6km walk today, I havent eaten anything yet, had 1 cup of coffee. I feel a little tired - but I did from the moment I got up. I'm a little hungry but not overly so.

I understand that with primal eating I should be able to eat as much as I want. Yet when people start talking about taking in more carbs after exercise I wonder how that works and whether the increased carb/fat/protein mix is just going to put the weight back on.

I get the principles but not the balance yet. I think that contributes to my under eating.
                            Buzz71

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz71 View Post
                              Thanks Paleo-Bunny for the detailed post.

I'm still really low carb throughout my entire diet, even though I am doing a fair bit of exercise. I don't go near rice at all anymore.

I admit I still find the carb factor confusing in all of this.
                              Yes, it seems the carb factor shows a lot of individual variation. I suggest that as you are doing a fair bit of exercise, you should experiment with raising starch intake after exercise. It's certainly a challenge finding safe starch on this diet isn't it?

I've never done the very low carb thing. I might have to try that if I want to lose more fat and my fat loss stalls.
                              Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-24-2012, 04:56 PM.
                              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X