Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We all have orthorexia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We all have orthorexia

    Guess we should just admit our "problem" and get help.

    m.guardian.co.uk

    While we're at it, we should get help for our other disorders, such as having standards for partners in our relationships, and keeping our homes clean.

  • #2
    To me, orthorexia is a real and dangerous condition to have, but it is based on FEAR. Being afraid to eat certain things, being afraid to microwave plastic containers or drink from aluminum cans, being afraid of conventionally grown vegetables, etc. If you live in constant fear of doing something wrong, you have orthorexia. If you strive to make the healthiest choices and behave in ways you are convinced are healthy without being terrified to LIVE, then I don't think you have a problem.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

    Comment


    • #3
      As someone who has had orthorexia, allow me to assure you, primal =/ orthorexia, because primal =/ perpetually refusing to socialize with people for fear/guilt of committing a dietary sin for fear of gaining weight, hence perpetuating depression and self-loathing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by unchatenfrance View Post
        As someone who has had orthorexia, allow me to assure you, primal =/ orthorexia, because primal =/ perpetually refusing to socialize with people for fear/guilt of committing a dietary sin for fear of gaining weight, hence perpetuating depression and self-loathing.
        I'm not trying to be a goof here, but what does "=/" mean? Are you saying that being primal is similar to an eating disorder?

        Comment


        • #5
          "Doesn't equal"; it's supposed to be "≠" but "!=" would work too.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DubleYoo View Post
            "Doesn't equal"; it's supposed to be "≠" but "!=" would work too.
            Got it Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              That article was ridiculous. I view the definition of orthorexia in the same vein as obsessive/compulsive disorders. That is not anywhere close to attempting to eat healthy, stay primal.

              But I do see people here posting about how being primal is interfering with their relationships. And I wonder how rigid they are, or perhaps their spouse, friends, relatives are the ones being inflexible.

              No one pays any attention to how I eat, because I do not make it an issue. I cook primal food at home, the best I can, and my husband is happy. When I go out, or to friends or family gatherings, I do the best I can. I try to be involved to make sure I'm bring stuff I can eat if I'm worried.

              I do think people following this lifestyle CAN make a big deal out of this and make people who are unenlightened uncomfortable... refusing food and hurting peoples feelings... coming across as zealots..etc. Which open oneself to questions of orthorexia.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by unchatenfrance View Post
                As someone who has had orthorexia, allow me to assure you, primal =/ orthorexia, because primal =/ perpetually refusing to socialize with people for fear/guilt of committing a dietary sin for fear of gaining weight, hence perpetuating depression and self-loathing.
                In a lot of the threads I see these days, it kind of does =.
                You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

                Comment


                • #9
                  B.A.M.F Athletics | Blog | Everything In Moderation - The Long Road to Nowhere (Part I)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ayla View Post
                    To me, orthorexia is a real and dangerous condition to have, but it is based on FEAR. Being afraid to eat certain things, being afraid to microwave plastic containers or drink from aluminum cans, being afraid of conventionally grown vegetables, etc. If you live in constant fear of doing something wrong, you have orthorexia. If you strive to make the healthiest choices and behave in ways you are convinced are healthy without being terrified to LIVE, then I don't think you have a problem.
                    Very well put Ayla!
                    Ancestral Health Info

                    I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

                    Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Credodisi View Post
                      That article was ridiculous. I view the definition of orthorexia in the same vein as obsessive/compulsive disorders. That is not anywhere close to attempting to eat healthy, stay primal.

                      But I do see people here posting about how being primal is interfering with their relationships. And I wonder how rigid they are, or perhaps their spouse, friends, relatives are the ones being inflexible.

                      No one pays any attention to how I eat, because I do not make it an issue. I cook primal food at home, the best I can, and my husband is happy. When I go out, or to friends or family gatherings, I do the best I can. I try to be involved to make sure I'm bring stuff I can eat if I'm worried.

                      I do think people following this lifestyle CAN make a big deal out of this and make people who are unenlightened uncomfortable... refusing food and hurting peoples feelings... coming across as zealots..etc. Which open oneself to questions of orthorexia.
                      I am convinced that the article was intended to be funny, and it certainly is. I see people here who seem to have crossed over into orthorexia. But not all of us by any means.

                      Don't you think Grok and Grokina spent lots of their lives thinking about what they ate?
                      Ancestral Health Info

                      I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

                      Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What this article is describing is letting perfect be the enemy of good.
                        "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                          I am convinced that the article was intended to be funny, and it certainly is. I see people here who seem to have crossed over into orthorexia. But not all of us by any means.

                          Don't you think Grok and Grokina spent lots of their lives thinking about what they ate?
                          Ha!

                          No I don't think there's a significant percentage of people here who are orthorexic and I hope I didn't give that impression. But I did reread the article and it reads to me like it's supposed to be taken seriously.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have to say, some of us really DO need to be 100%. Those of us with celiac or food allergies and whatnot probably appear orthorexic to the general public, but for me it really is a health issue! Unless you want me crapping my pants 10 minutes later, you better not offer me grains or dairy.

                            I think that's why this article bugged me so much, I'm on the GAPS diet to try to heal my gut, and this crazy reporter decides I have an eating disorder because I don't want to be sick anymore.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Healthy food obsession sparks rise in new eating disorder
                              Oh brother~ I really have to

                              So, what's the cure, eating twinkies and chex mix?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X