Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accumulated wisdon of the board -stickies and sigs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accumulated wisdon of the board -stickies and sigs.

So, it would be cool to have a series of one-page add-ons to PB, since the one size fits all basic guidelines don't necessarily work the same for everyone. I made a stab at a simple, short guide to PB-based weight loss, but the other foci people have would require very different approaches. We could all stick them in our sigs. Anyone want to add to this?

Rapid Weight Loss Version of Primal:

Take Primal and:

1. Never snack - eat one to three times per day. Skipping breakfast is usually not too hard.
    2. Eat slowly and don't stuff yourself at meals. Buy a smaller plate if it helps. Calories matter, and PB never said they don't.
    3. Get enough animal protein every day - it spares muscle and is the most filling macro. A pound of flesh per day would be a good ballpark amount for most.
    3. Avoid at all costs (these foods are either PB-approved or marginal):
    Milk
    Nuts
    Fried foods
    Liquid calories such as shakes

4. Minimize your use of:
    Other dairy
    semi-approved carbs such as white rice and potatoes
    dried fruits and very sweet fruits
    Alcohol, even wine

5. Go on a nice long walk every day - this will be your main exercise. An ideal schedule is to skip breakfast and take an hour walk before lunch.

6. Focus on the sleep and the stress, not the scale.

7. To gauge progress, find some "goal clothes" - ie when you fit them properly, you'll be done. This could be your wedding dress, old clothes, new clothes that you buy in advance, whatever. Take 'before' pics and write about how the clothes fit. Every two weeks, take new pics and note the fit of the clothes. Weigh yourself very seldom to never.

Muscle Gain version of Primal:

Allergy Finder version of Primal:
    Gut Healer version of Primal:
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Notice - I'm avoiding the minefields of Jack Kruze, IF, VLC, etc. and just focusing on what we all mostly agree on, and eliminating the counting / obsessive element as much as possible.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Nice post. I think you hit the major points.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
        Nice post. I think you hit the major points.
        Thumbs up
        The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
        What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
        SW 190lb
        Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
        25 Sep 2011 160lbs
        1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
        GW ~135lbs
        5'3"
        Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Yes! Awesome tfarny!
          My Before/After Pics
          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

This will add further confusion to the forums. People have lost weight eating all of your "avoid at all costs" foods, tfarny.
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

i think this is great.

i'm not as well learned in allergies and gut healing, and i'm not going to touch muscle gain (way too many opinions on that around here)...but i'd be happy to do one of these for sprinting.
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Tfarny, What you said...except I would add artificial sweeteners to the foods to avoid. I have had binge issues throughout my entire 16 months Primal. My binges included grains, sugar, you name it. Obviously, this behavior hindered my progress. I finally got desperate enough in seeking a solution to drop all sweeteners. Eureka! No more binges. For some people AS are not helpful to the weight loss process.
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Great post Tfarny. I heartily agree.

Comment

@ tfarny, I agree with your sig whole heartedly, as well as the sentiment of this thread, but..

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    This will add further confusion to the forums. People have lost weight eating all of your "avoid at all costs" foods, tfarny.
                    I also think Grumpy's onto something.

And just to clarify, when you mention "fried foods" are you talking fried in a deep fat fryer, in a frying pan/skillet or both?
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                      I also think Grumpy's onto something.
                      He is, but hell, I lost weight doing WW where often I would only eat pizza. It was below my points! Some people can lose weight without eliminating anything or only some of the things listed or all but one etc. I think the point of the post was a quick, simple, down-and-dirty of "I just started primal and have a ton to lose; what should I do?!" post we see so often. Of course, the first response should be, "Read the book, noob."

Comment

To be fair, he did label his suggestions as the "Rapid weight loss version" and did note that the foods to avoid were not necessarily prohibited by the PB and that his list was sort of an add-on to the basic PB method.

Tfarney, that's a good boiled down synopsis for those who want weight loss and are frustrated if they haven't seen it yet.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                          He is, but hell, I lost weight doing WW where often I would only eat pizza. It was below my points! Some people can lose weight without eliminating anything or only some of the things listed or all but one etc. I think the point of the post was a quick, simple, down-and-dirty of "I just started primal and have a ton to lose; what should I do?!" post we see so often. Of course, the first response should be, "Read the book, noob."
                          Oh yeah, agreed, hence why I mentioned tfarny's signature (which I've almost stolen for my own on several occasions and often refer to in answer to these types of questions)
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Of course - people have lost weight on the twinkie diet too, so what. I recently read some stuff on fighters "making weight" - you can lose 20 lb in a day and then go out and clobber someone the next day if you really want to apparently.

It's not supposed to cover all eventualities. Just a summation of the most common and seemingly reasonable advice for someone new. Newbies get the impression over and over that calories don't matter, that fake foods are ok as long as the ingredients are technically primal, and that they still need to do a bunch of cardio. They retain their snacking habits, they don't get enough protein, pay no attention to stress and sleep, etc. That's all.

Comment

Muscle Gain Version of Primal:

This is not the body recomp (slowly gain muscle, slowly lose fat) advice. This is for people who are not trying to lose weight but trying to gain muscle and strength rapidly and are starting from a pretty weak (ie most people) place.

1. Eat more food than you probably want to, or think you need, on the days you lift weights.
                              2. Don't fear the carbs! Use white rice, potatoes, or other whole food carb sources especially on training days.
                              3. Consider milk! Whole, local, and as natural as possible. Unhomogenized, minimally pasteurized is usually available. If you can't handle milk, consider other sources of liquid calories such as coconut milk. In general, liquid calories are useful for gaining body mass.
                              4. Eat a lot of protein. You might not have to go totally crazy, but consider eating between 1 and 2 lb animal flesh per day on training days. Non-approved foods that strong people often use are peanut butter, whey powder, etc.
                              5. Don't gorge yourself though, until your lifts actually stop progressing. A lot of your early gains are actually due to improved technique and not due to increased muscle mass per se. The danger is one of getting fat unnecessarily.
                              6. Programs: Get a program. Random stuff can work, but usually let's face it, it doesn't. Sometimes that is down to willpower, sometimes bad planning. There are a TON of programs with proven results. Some of them are called: Starting Strength*, PB Fitness, Crossfit Football or some good normal Crossfit affiliates, Body By Science#, SimpleFit, 5/3/1, Madcow, etc. The definition of "program" is one that tells you 1) what exercise to do 2) how often and with how much intensity / speed, and 3) how to progress, on some type of schedule. Most of what people do in gyms does not meet this definition. Choose one that fits your schedule and your interests as far as intensity, type of lifting (bodyweight, machines, barbells, etc.)
                              Follow it! You are not smarter about exercise than the person who made it. Follow it for at least a few months or until you get the results you are after. There is no need to change it up, "confuse the muscles" or any such nonsense. Thousands of people have already gotten far stronger than you will ever be, by sticking to a proven plan. BTW it will get very, very fricking hard if you are doing it right and you will be tempted to change the program. Don't unless you are not seeing results from your effort.
                              7. Don't do two programs at once, or train for a marathon while also trying to build strength. Pick a goal and do that. Recovery time is an essential part of all programs.

* my favorite
                              # very controversial

Comment

Working...
                              X