Is this show for real or staged?

Partly staged.

Comment

I thought so. A shame really.

Comment

Re: Man Vs. Wild, Bear Grylls is a Phony - YouTube

Comment

Survivorman > Man v. wild.
          Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
          Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
          More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
          LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
          Play more!

Comment

Yup...Les Stroud is truly out on his own.

Also, look up a fella by the name of Dick Proenneke on YouTube. His series "Alone in the Wilderness" is pretty awesome. Not so much about "survival vs. the wild/conditions/etc." that Bear and Les face, but certainly a tale of living off the land.
            Liberalism: ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

Comment

Surviverman is better but I enjoy Man vs Wild as well...

Comment

Originally posted by adameads View Post
                Yup...Les Stroud is truly out on his own.

Also, look up a fella by the name of Dick Proenneke on YouTube. His series "Alone in the Wilderness" is pretty awesome. Not so much about "survival vs. the wild/conditions/etc." that Bear and Les face, but certainly a tale of living off the land.
                Les Stroud does spend alot of time whining about being hungry or cold. No one likes a whiner.

Comment

it says right in the beginning that some things are staged to show certain techniques that otherwise wouldnt come up. im ok with that. if i learn something from the show that is what matters

ive been watching a few of these shows on netflix streaming and right now my favorite is man woman wild but would agree that survivorman is the most authentic
                  Primal Chaos
                  37yo 6'5"
                  6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                  current 338lbs 49" waist
                  goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

The most obvious staging I've seen so far was an episode where bear was showing how to float down a white water river with his backpack as a floatation aid... The only thing was that just as it cut to him getting into the river you could clearly see that he had a canoeists type life jacket on under his coat, which had magically disappeared by the time he waded ashore at the other end.

But as Mike said, while the situations may be staged, what he teaches seems pretty on the ball to me, at least it's certainly in line with the survival training I've done in the past. And survival is the key here. Some of what is shown isnt they kind of thing you should be doing when you're out for a weekend hike, unless the crap has really hit the fan and you are you're likely to die if you don't.
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Les is the man.

That being said, Bear is one ballsy, extremely intelligent fella and I love watching his show almost as much as Survivorman. If you understand what you're watching then its a great show.

Someone mentioned Dick Proenneke. These fellas on TV now couldnt hold a candle to Dick. You'll notice that Dick doesnt get into many "survival" situations.

Dual Survival is entertaining as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X