Steve Jobs' high fructose diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Jobs' high fructose diet

Sad to admit an unhealthy amount of schadenfreude...

iVegetarian: The High Fructose Diet of Steve Jobs | Psychology Today
    ad astra per aspera

"Jobs suffered from a type of pancreatic cancer known as islet cell carcinoma, which originates in the insulin-secreting beta cells."

Go figure.

Comment

Yeah, I read about his diet a while ago and figured that was what killed him.
      Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

beyond the fructose, and whatever disease killed him, he sounds like he had a real eating disorder. nearly obsessive compulsive, quasi anorexic. i feel sorry for him.

Comment

I'm floored. Had no idea the extent of his OCD with food. Sad indeed.
          Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Comment

My dad died of islet cell carcinoma. He was born in Missouri in 1918 and was a truck driver. His diet was as far away from Steve Jobs as anyone's could have been. He was raised in what is known as the lead belt. Probably had something to do with it. Lots of lead related illnesses in that part of the country.
              kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Comment

i like how they ended the article, making sure to mention how he occasionally ate an egg or eel (?) just to give vindication to the crazy people, i mean vegans
                Primal Chaos
                37yo 6'5"
                6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                current 338lbs 49" waist
                goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Sounds to me he sincerely thought he was eating healthy; but in fact he was consuming excess sugar; especially through the "healthy" juices and excessive fruit. He was taught to fear butter and cholesterol as we were all. Too much strain on the pancreas. And anyone with diabetes has in effect; a burned out pancreas.

Comment

To get into character to play Steve Jobs, Ashton Kutcher went on a fruitarian diet and ended up in the hospital with an inflamed pancreas.

Comment

He was going to die soon anyway, so I think its unfair to claim the diet killed him. Of course he may have lasted a little while longer on a healthier diet.
                      http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

Jesus Christ.
                        I had no idea.
                        This changes my view a lot. It's pretty obvious Steve Jobs struggled most of his life with a combination of anorexia and orthorexia. It's amazing how little that's talked about, and it kind of disgusts me that he's considered a vegan hero by PETA when his eating habits were terribly disordered and had nothing to do with ethics, but instead compulsion.

No, we cannot say for sure that his diet had anything to do with his cancer or his death, but, you can't read that kind of thing and say with a straight face that his eating habits were healthy even if you believe the food he was eating was!
                        And, while it may be just a coincidence, it is disturbing that the actor playing him ended up in the hospital with pancreatic inflammation after adopting his diet.

Comment

Originally posted by s-piper View Post
                          and it kind of disgusts me that he's considered a vegan hero by PETA when his eating habits were terribly disordered and had nothing to do with ethics, but instead compulsion.
                          Don't even get me started on PeTA. I'll just say that these kind of statements are just run-of-the-mill idiocy for them, and leave it at that.
                          My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                          (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                          Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                          (Red Dwarf)

Comment

Originally posted by s-piper View Post
                            Jesus Christ.
                            I had no idea.
                            This changes my view a lot. It's pretty obvious Steve Jobs struggled most of his life with a combination of anorexia and orthorexia. It's amazing how little that's talked about, and it kind of disgusts me that he's considered a vegan hero by PETA when his eating habits were terribly disordered and had nothing to do with ethics, but instead compulsion.

No, we cannot say for sure that his diet had anything to do with his cancer or his death, but, you can't read that kind of thing and say with a straight face that his eating habits were healthy even if you believe the food he was eating was!
                            And, while it may be just a coincidence, it is disturbing that the actor playing him ended up in the hospital with pancreatic inflammation after adopting his diet.
                            You know what disgusts me? People picking over the bones of a person who has died acting like a bunch of vultures. Can't we just let a fellow human being rest in peace? You didn't know him (I did, BTW, he was a friend of the family since I was a kid). You only know about sensationalized media hype. Yet you judge and analyze his syndromes and mental health. How presumptuous!

He was a human being. He was brilliant, the level of brilliance that not a lot of people even understand so they find it easier to attack him. But, being human, he also made mistakes. He was also somebody's son, husband, father, and friend. Those people mourn his passing (as do I) and this kind of vulture thread is disrespectful to their grief.

If you want to talk about the dangers of a high fructose diet, I will be right there agreeing with you. But, please, can we leave an individual human out of it and let him rest in peace?

BTW, this rant is not directed at one particular poster, rather at the whole thread.

Comment

I don't know if the diet contributed to his death. But I know he never looked healthy to me. It wasn't just that he was very thin, it was the kind of thin -- can't really put my finger on it.

Also, if he had an eating disorder, I wonder if it would have been identified if he were a woman. Is this one area that breaks against the dudes?

Comment

Working...
                              X