Hashimotos help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ouaouaron View Post
    How does one get their "adrenals back on track", diet, supplements?
    Ouaouaron, I was able to do it under the guidance of a naturopath using a boatload of supplements. It got me from below-range cortisol to almost-optimal cortisol in about 6 months, but I dropped a couple hundred every month on supplements. I've since learned that many people aren't as fortunate and end up having to use Rx hydrocortisone under a doctor's guidance (which can be hard to do, since most doctors poo-poo the idea of adrenal fatigue.) There's also an excellent book by James Wilson called "Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome" that can offer guidance.

Comment

Regarding iodine and those with Hashi's, here's a good article about it on the STTM website. In a nutshell, you can be successful at iodine supplementation with Hashi's IF your selenium status is good.

Selenium | Stop The Thyroid Madness

Comment

eileen,

Here is another good article on iodine, that suggests methods of slowly increasing iodine supplements to eliminate potential problems
        Bromide & Salt Loading Journey to Health

Iodine supplements at 1 & then later 2 mg per day from Norwegian Kelp have eliminated my insomnia & cured my prostate problems. Was prostate problems related to iodine deficiency? YES ! google searching also disclosed a Pandoras Box of Female Problems related to iodine deficiency:
        * Painful periods/heavy periods
        * pelvic pain
        * PCOS
        * endometriosis
        * Fibroid Tumors
        * pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
        * breast pain (fibrous tissue)
        Google Search "Iodine Deficiency Female Problems" for a lot more on this subject.

Grizz

Comment

A GREAT article on the number 1 problem with the Thyroid:

Bromine and Your Thyroid

Adding to the negative health effects of bromine, the damage to your thyroid health deserves special mention.

As stated in the first part of this article, bromine exposure depletes your body’s iodine by competing with iodine receptors. Iodine is crucial for thyroid function. Without iodine, your thyroid gland would be completely unable to produce thyroid hormone.

Even the names of the different forms of thyroid hormone reflect the number of iodine molecules attached -- T4 has four attached iodine molecules, and T3 (the biologically active form of the hormone) has three--showing what an important part iodine plays in thyroid biochemistry.

Hypothyroidism is far more prevalent than once thought in the U.S. The latest estimates are that 13 million Americans have hypothyroidism, but the actual numbers are probably higher. Some experts claim that 10 to40 percent of Americans have suboptimal thyroid function.

Many of these folks may actually have nothing wrong with their thyroid gland at all -- they may just be suffering from iodine deficiency.

Avoid This if You Want to Keep Your Thyroid Healthy

What about the link between Bromine & Hashi?
          CLEARLY there is a link that cannot be disputed:

What are the Causes of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?

* Environmental Toxins Such as Mercury and Pesticides [which contain bromide]
          * Pregnancy
          * The Food Borne Bacteria Yersinia Enterocolitica Infection
          * Too Little or Too Much Supplemental Iodine
          * Family History of Thyroid Disease
          * Exposure to Radiation
          * Excessive Exposure to Tap Water, Which Contains Flouride and Chlorine
          * Overconsumption of Soy Products [Soy is NOT healthy]

All autoimmune symptoms or “misplaced immunity” are triggered, for the most part, by the cumulative toxic burden on the body [Bromides]. This can include, but not be limited to: stress, injuries, surgery, heavy metals, chemicals, plastics, food additives, food allergies, refined and processed foods, viruses, bacteria, yeast, fungus and mold.

This cumulative toxic insult creates a hospitable terrain in the gut (small intestine) where opportunistic organisms like bad bacteria and parasites can thrive. These bad bacteria can inhibit the growth of the probiotic (literally, “for life”) bacteria that is meant to colonize the lining of the small intestine. Since over 70% of immune-producing cells are created in this lining, this means that what we call our “immune system” is significantly weakened. This, in turn, creates an environment where yeast and fungus can overgrow.

All this can lead to what is called “Leaky Gut Syndrome” or intestinal hyperpermeability. This is when the lining of the intestine, which is permeable, creates holes so that toxins and undigested proteins “leak” out into the bloodstream. When this happens the immune system releases an IL-6 autoimmune reaction where auto-antibodies start to attack and inflame healthy tissue like the joints, the arteries, the bladder and the thyroid.
          Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease | Symptoms | Causes | Natural Therapies

It requires iodine supplements to rid the thyroid of bromide, chlorine and other toxins afflicting our thyroid, organs & cells which require iodine.

Grizz

Comment

Important interview on Hashi -vs- iodine supplement

Dr. Eric: There seems to be a great deal of controversy as to whether people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis should supplement with iodine, even if they have a deficiency. I admittedly have been guilty of this as well, as I always was taught that people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis should avoid iodine because it will worsen their condition. When I attended your seminar you told the audience you usually have had no problems giving your patients who have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis iodine supplementation. Can you please elaborate on this?

Dr. Brownstein: Animal studies show that you cannot cause Hashimoto’s disease in an animal unless they are iodine deficient and they are given a goitrogen. That is what is happening to our human population; we are iodine deficient and we are exposed to an ever-increasing amount of goitrogens like bromide and fluoride.

Dr. Eric: If it’s fine for people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis to take iodine, then why do some people feel bad when supplementing with iodine?

Dr. Brownstein: Iodine can cause a detoxification reaction whereby the body releases bromide. I believe this is where many of the adverse effects are coming from. I explain this in my books. My experience has clearly shown that vast majority of patients with autoimmune thyroid disorders improve with iodine when it is used as part of a holistic treatment regimen.

Do some react negatively to iodine? Yes. Iodine is not for everyone, but, my clinical experience has clearly shown adverse effects to iodine are rare when it is used appropriately.

Rest of the Interview:
            An Interview With Dr. David Brownstein On Iodine and Thyroid Health | Natural Thyroid Treatment/Graves Disease/Hashimotos Thyroiditis
            Best of health to all,
            Grizz

Comment

From Digital Surgeon:
              The Hashimoto's thing......it makes up 95% of all hypothyroid human cases today and it treated by medicine with CW. Most who have it have leaky guts and low levels of intracellular glutathione. Glutathione is a very important antioxidant that plays an important role in maintaining the correct oxidation-reduction potential inside cells. It scavenges oxidising free radicals, detoxifies heavy metals, pesticides, tylenol and leukotrienes. It stores and transports amino acids, regulates the cell cycle, protein synthesis and gene expression, and protects thyroid cells from self-generated hydrogen peroxide. Glutathione is quite important for patients with Hashimoto's. Glutathione protects the body in an extraordinary number of ways, but the fact that it protects the thyroid against hydrogen peroxide is particularly significant for the thyroid. In untreated Hashimoto's, the body's levels of T4 (thyroxine) begin to fall, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels generally start to climb. In order to stimulate the thyroid to make more T4, the TSH activates the thyroid cells to make hydrogen peroxide. If the TSH levels remain high, the thyroid cells continue to produce more and more hydrogen peroxide, and this can lead to increased inflammation, scarring, and ultimately the destruction of thyroid cells. If the hydrogen peroxide manages to gain entry to the cell, the damage becomes far worse.

Hydrogen peroxide is thought to play a significant role in the development and progression of Hashimoto's disease, despite the fact that the thyroid gland actually requires hydrogen peroxide for thyroid hormone formation. Hydrogen peroxide is normally produced during the oxidation of the iodine ions. It is an essential part of the thyroid function. But the critical factor is the protection of the thyroid cells (glutathione level), and the place in which the iodine ions are oxidized. If oxidation occurs inside the cells, the hydrogen peroxide is produced inside the cells, and the cells sustain damage.

A study found that if hydrogen peroxide is allowed to enter thyroid cells, it attacks and cleaves thyroglobulin (protein within the thyroid), producing fragments that are able to diffuse into other cells and these fragments were recognized by autoantibodies taken from people with Hashimoto's disease. This suggests that hydrogen peroxide entry into thyroid cells may actually be the cause of Hashimoto's disease!!!! SO if you have Hashimoto's your glutathione levels maybe a proxy of how bad your disease really is. It can be a measure of really how leaky your gut is too.

The predominant infiltrating cells in autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis are phagocytic macrophages, neutrophils and various T-cells; the macrophages and neutrophils damage the tissues by releasing inflammatory cytokines and proteins, including hydrogen peroxide making things worse because this further depletes glutathione inside the cells. This is complicated by co-morbid B12 and folate deficiencies in the diet because of the leaky gut. Glutathione requires both to be on hand to work well!

The body's stores of glutathione can become depleted through any stressor. For example, alcoholism, HIV infection, cirrhosis, diabetes, surgical trauma, fasting, environmental toxins, overuse of acetaminophen, chronic stress, inadequate diet, elevated adrenaline release, extensive strenuous exercise, or infection. It is also associated with cigarette smoking, as smoking increases the rate at which the body uses glutathione.

Glutathione is not easily absorbed through oral supplementation, but is synthesized in the body from amino acids, and body levels can be increased through oral administration of glutathione precursors such as N-acetylcysteine (NAC), S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) and L-gluatmine. Getting it into cells is even tougher and requires IV infusions using lipid soluble mediums. For serious autoimmune diseases it is often a great treatment. Oral administration of NAC of doses up to 8,000 mg/day was not found to cause clinically significant adverse reactions, although doses of 600mg/day were enough to significantly improve symptoms of chronic lung disease like COPD. I have used over 3000 mgs a day when my HS-CRP was around 3.0. When I have falls in Vitamin D levels I also reach for NAC or sometimes WHEY protein. Whey also breaks down into glutathione and reduces inflammation. This is why Whey use can augment weight loss in people with high CRP's

Intake of NAC does increase zinc loss through urine, so zinc supplementation would be advisable for anyone supplementing NAC over an extended period. This can deplete your sex steroid hormones if you do not eat a lot of foods with zinc. Me personally when I take a ton I always make my oysters rockerfeller recipe.

Glutathione can also be up-regulated by vitamins C and E, and alpha lipoic acid, PQQ, spinach, offal, yeast extract, and broccoli. N-acetylcysteine is considered to be the most effective, fastest route to raising levels of glutathione. It also increases levels of glutathione only when there is an actual need, and it seems to concentrate only in tissues where glutathione is required. This need corresponds to high MMP9 levels in cells.

The fact that NAC is able to restore glutathione levels and thereby protect the thyroid is particularly interesting given its ability to crack open bacteria such as chlamydia pneumonia, which hide inside the body's own cells during one part of their life cycle, using the host cell's machinery to replicate. Chlamydia pneumoniae has been implicated in autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, and N-acetylcysteine is considered an important part of treatment. I do not consider these diseases as part of AI's. I consider finding titers of these in patients to be patho-mneumonic that glutathione levels are very very low in these people.
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post691836

Grizz

Comment

Working...
              X