Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No hunger post-workout

Hi all the Groks out there!

I can't seem to find an answer to this so either i need someone pointing me in the right direction or tell me in this thread

My "problem" is the fact that I'm not hungry after my workouts. from what I understand it's always good to fill up with protein after doing your heavy lifting - since I want to continue gaining muscle. Now to my problem: Ever since I went primal I always come out from my workouts full. I can actually be a litte hungry when the training starts, but I'm never hungry as soon as my workout has begun - and not when its done. And then there is the rule that you shouldnt eat when youre not hungry - or actually I dont want to eat when I'm not hungry.

When I wasnt following the primal lifestyle I was always starving after my workouts and eating after them was easy!

So - whats the deal here? Should I eat even if I'm not hungry, and why in Gods name am I ALWAYS full post workout eventhough I enter it hungry?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Don't worry. Mark Sissons himself, the legend, he does not always feel so hungry after working out.

Comment

Cool, I was wondering this after my last workout too. A workout after a fast. I thought I had superpowers.

Comment

i rarely eat PWO either. dont stress it. your muscles will still be there if you dont eat 5000g protein 30seconds after lifting weights.
        "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Comment

I don't feel hungry after a workout either.

Comment

Because you're burning fat for fuel instead of sugar, right?

Comment

Yeah, just because you aren't putting food into your mouth doesn't mean you aren't getting some energy from somewhere. Let's hope from the belly and thighs, or wherever would suit you most.

I have found myself that on IF days I can still get some exercise with no additional hunger.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanM View Post
                Because you're burning fat for fuel instead of sugar, right?
                Could well be, but in reality for me the last thing i want to do after hard hill sprints is eat lol id rather be sick first...
                "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Comment

I have stopped feeling hungry in the mornings now that I'm in keto so I usually keep some boiled eggs in the work fridge that I have when I get in around 9am. This morning I did half hour cardio around 7am, got to work and didn't feel hungry at all until I saw my eggs in the fridge around 11 and thought I'd better eat something. Next time that happens I think I'll just have a fasting day. Interesting to see if it happens again tomorrow. Not going to eat if I'm not hungry!
                  My Primal Journal
                  My Blog - Project Frankie/

Comment

It came as a very pleasant surprise that I stopped getting hungry after my usual elliptical workouts when I abandoned chronic cardio. I realized I had been working out at 80-85% of my maximum heart rate. And I was quite tired and hungry afterwards. Now I maintain 60-65% of my MHR and am neither hungry nor tired post workouts

Comment

Originally posted by Sol y Sombra View Post
                      It came as a very pleasant surprise that I stopped getting hungry after my usual elliptical workouts when I abandoned chronic cardio. I realized I had been working out at 80-85% of my maximum heart rate. And I was quite tired and hungry afterwards. Now I maintain 60-65% of my MHR and am neither hungry nor tired post workouts
                      I've made this change to my cardio too, including a few short sprints at 75-80% heart rate. Am doing a lot more strength-training too, before the cardio.

I don't find that exercise increases my appetite - if anything it slightly reduces it.

I'm not getting such a big endorphin buzz now, but my legs are feeling a lot stronger, my quads especially.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I do sprints once a week too Plus I've included some body weight exercises - squats, lunges, pushups, a dumbbell exercise and planks. PB fitness seems a little too advanced, but I hope in time I'll be able to do it. I have knee problems so I have to be careful what I do for exercise.

Comment

awesome, my honey has been not feeling hungry after his workouts. i was wondering about this myself

Comment

so why do i sometimes feel like I could eat a horse after a workout though? what causes that? sometimes I don't feel hungry after and sometimes I feel starving?
                            I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

Thanks for your input! Sounds like I should just stop making it a problem and just go with eating when I'm hungry! And if it's just about my body running on fat instead of sugar I will just keep on feeling awesome about it like I do about the rest of my primal journey

Comment

Working...
                              X