The Secret to Primal Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate reality TV :/

We'd need to have a few people who know how to hunt and dress animals who can teach the rest of us.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Primalchild - I hate yappy little dogs, I have a 50 Lb Samoyed and an 80 Lb Akita mix puppy.

Comment

On a related note, the most primal person I know is Joe the dog walker. He's the best dog walker in Seattle, he spends his days running around the dog park playing with dogs; There are many passive dog walkers, the ones that just go along watching the dogs do their thing at the park, not this guy... He jogs along with them throwing balls, playing tug, running into the lake with them and sprinting back and forth having a great time. He's there pretty much from sun-up to sun-down, except when he's gone to change out his "pack" of buddies. I can't think of anyone who lives a more primal lifestyle.

Comment

Okay, all ideas and suggestions (expect "Communes always end in suicide pacts.") sound great to me. Maybe start out as weekend meet ups to get a feel for things.

Of course, location, location, location would be vital. Would it be hardcore living off the land, no electricity? No cell phones or computers, television etc.

Side note: I would love to work from home full time. I have lots of windows, and lots of area to walk during break and lunch so it's not too bad. But sitting at my desk for 7.5 hours a day is like...well sitting at my desk for 7.5 hours a day.

Dagny: Dog walker...wonder how much he makes...and could I survive off it with 2 boys in Los Angeles. Now that would be primal. LOL! Gotta google it.

Comment

jpickett, I really recommend Tim Ferris' book The 4-Hour Work Week. Sounds like what you might be looking for

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/

Comment

"I think we should buy a big chunk of land somewhere warm and have a nice, self-sustaining Primal commune."

Hey, PrimalChild, I'm in! LOL.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
              Current weight: 199
              Goal: 145

Comment

I'm totally down for this, too - as long as its near a city.

Rural SF bay area or something like that.

Need to stay connected with the masses, to inspire and educate. I'm not one to isolate myself while the rest of the world burns around me.

Comment

As long as there's no snow, lots of trees, and we can hunt game, I'll be happy. So forget Canada, for sure.

Comment

Primal commune! Yes! Can I grow herbs?

@Dagny - my Sibes would love to play with your dogs.

My best paid job ever was REI. It was really cool working with like-minded people. I quit a "real job" to work there, too.

There was a guy profiled in the local paper a few years ago. He had quit his software programmer job to start a business picking up doggie doo (seriously). Said he made more money doing that & got to be outside a lot. I guess that might be under "move slowly a lot"?

Comment

I've toyed around with the idea of a commune before... primal and otherwise... and while it could work, I am hesitant to jump in.

There are a lot of little details that would be considered reality show type growing pains, but those aren't the issue I have. Fundamentally, it would be a group of people with a simple but vague goal: live primally. What does that mean to you? or to the person next to you? or to any of us? Now try to build a commune that appeases everyone and at the same time doesn't step on anyone else's toes... Commune style "government" seems shaky (at best) to me, thus I remain a bit skeptical.

All that said, I do like the idea of buying up a neighborhood individually, allowing us as a group of individuals to influence local policy... like farm animal ordinances or agricultural zoning. Possibly even creating an unofficial primal town. That would leave each person open to be as primal as they please, not have it affect others, and not get funny looks using your slosh tube in the front yard =)

My other idea would be a primal "campus" that would be run like a business. Have it be a kind of a farm/resort/training ground/school/sanctuary hybrid (hehehe) with the goal of being self sustaining and teaching how to be primal. In keeping with the spirit of primal being available to anyone, there would be free information and knowledgable employees that are encouraged to spend time and talk to people. most of the grounds would be free for people to look around and enjoy. As for the "money engine," I have a lot of ideas that would be difficult to explain in just this post, but they include things like hosting a farmers market, having an on-site "hotel," exercise classes, and workshops (just to name a few off the top of my head). Anyway, the point of this would be to have full time live in (rather on property) staff living the primal life and jobs available for those who just want primal work/atmosphere. Since it would be a business (or possibly NFP), there would be a chain of command or board of directors or something to keep it going... and since this is just a forum comment and not a formal proposal, I can be that vague lol.

Well, this is what happens when I get to typing lol, sorry for the length... but if anyone likes the ideas or can think of something else, I would be up for talking about it further.

So in an effort to not totally hijack the original thread: My suggestion is that if our desk jobs aren't primal enough, lets make our own work that is!

Comment

Deb, my little Akita boy loves to play with huskies, it's total insanity at the park when he gets together with huskies (my little old lady Samoyed doesn't play much these days, she's 13.)

Comment

a primal commune could actually work id be in...

@dagny_ ur pup could have a playmate - my 6 yo pit is a puppy forever

challenge yourself
                          i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't let the dream die, people.

Comment

Id totally be up, as long as my 3 pups are welcome!

Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

I love Darien's ideas--I think creating some sort of business/educational setting combined w/ a commune could really help it to thrive. Um, I'm in upstate NY and don't see myself moving west, but if anyone is planning one on the east coast I'm interested!

Comment

Working...
                                X