All Meat Diet- Long Term Effects?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Meat Diet- Long Term Effects?

Has any one had any experience with a long-term all meat "zero carb" (yes, that's impossible, meat has carbs)? I only did it for a week. Has anyone here done it strictly for at least a year? Were there any negative effects? Positive experience? The reason I ask is because I was surfing the "Zeroing in on Health" forum, and it seems very heavily moderated, so I couldn't tell if anyone was having any negative experiences with ZC.

The primary concern I would have is that you wouldn't be providing any prebiotics (ie, fiber) to nurture your gut flora.

Comment

Wait, I did just rum into a problem that a few of the zero carbers posted in a forum- achy joints, and they were going to take fish oil to help. Hmm, why wouldn't they just eat fish?
      @raney- did you go zero carb for a long period of time?

Comment

Peggy at The Primal Parent | Primal parenting our paleo kids has been on a near zero carb diet for several years. She's done a few posts on it and she is vibrantly healthy, not to mention hot as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherJ View Post
          Peggy at The Primal Parent | Primal parenting our paleo kids has been on a near zero carb diet for several years. She's done a few posts on it and she is vibrantly healthy, not to mention hot as hell.
          Thanks, Heather, I'll go check out this hot mom's blog

Comment

Here's the link to the article which would be most relevant:

The Carnivore’s Dilemma – A Diet of Just Meats and Fats? | The Primal Parent

Comment

Check out this blog as well: Hyperlipid I haven't read it in a long time but he eats a very high meat diet so I'm sure you could get some insight there.
              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                Check out this blog as well: Hyperlipid I haven't read it in a long time but he eats a very high meat diet so I'm sure you could get some insight there.
                Thanks, Blackcatbone

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                  Has any one had any experience with a long-term all meat "zero carb" (yes, that's impossible, meat has carbs)? I only did it for a week. Has anyone here done it strictly for at least a year? Were there any negative effects? Positive experience? The reason I ask is because I was surfing the "Zeroing in on Health" forum, and it seems very heavily moderated, so I couldn't tell if anyone was having any negative experiences with ZC.
                  ZOIH forum is for meat only though the owner of the site got into homemade ice cream for a while. Last pics I saw of him he looked like he was gaining a few pounds. He mostly eats meat and drinks water AFAIK.

I tried it for 8 months. I did lose weight. I also had chronic diarrhea which could strike at any time, any place, without warning. My supplement was Immodium AD. (Kinda like being on that Alli diet) Not good for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tapper47 View Post
                    ZOIH forum is for meat only though the owner of the site got into homemade ice cream for a while. Last pics I saw of him he looked like he was gaining a few pounds. He mostly eats meat and drinks water AFAIK.

I tried it for 8 months. I did lose weight. I also had chronic diarrhea which could strike at any time, any place, without warning. My supplement was Immodium AD. (Kinda like being on that Alli diet) Not good for me.
                    Oh, no!!

Comment

Primal Parent looks like a good site. She is eating shrimp though which at ZOIH was too high in carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                        @raney- did you go zero carb for a long period of time?
                        No, I don't really go a day without broccoli. My concerns are simply based on the research I've done on fiber's conversion to SCFAs in the intestines and the way it affects gut flora population and diversity.

I feel that it would less than ideal, and I would call that an educated guess, but I'd be really curious to see the results of a year of ZC. I think there is a stool test that determines bacteria populations? If one were really serious about using themselves as a scientific experiment.

I agree Peggy looks great, but she also has enough food intolerances that ZC was her inevitable path to health I think. I'm not sure its feasible for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by raney View Post
                          No, I don't really go a day without broccoli. My concerns are simply based on the research I've done on fiber's conversion to SCFAs in the intestines and the way it affects gut flora population and diversity.

I feel that it would less than ideal, and I would call that an educated guess, but I'd be really curious to see the results of a year of ZC. I think there is a stool test that determines bacteria populations? If one were really serious about using themselves as a scientific experiment.

I agree Peggy looks great, but she also has enough food intolerances that ZC was her inevitable path to health I think. I'm not sure its feasible for everyone.
                          That would be an interesting experiment!
                          I did all-meat for a week and felt like crap- probably low-carb flu and alcohol withdrawal.

Comment

Tough work for your kidneys, no food for you brain (well, excess work for you body to turn protein into sugar). I wouldn't do it.

Comment

Mark talked about this just on the 13th.

Zero Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple
                              My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
                              Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Comment

Working...
                              X