coconut oil questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coconut oil questions

What is the consistency supposed to be like?
    Is it important to choose between refined/unrefined?
    Is this stuff ok to use up?

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/a...114_192120.jpg
    Liberalism: ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

How To Choose A Good Coconut Oil | Food Renegade

Maybe this will help. I just went to look at mine...from Trader Joe's and it's organic, but doesn't say it's unrefined which means it's refined. Good question... will look forward to reading other's responses.

Normally I would say refined is bad, but in this case it doesn't seem terrible. I'd rather have unrefined for sure, though!

Comment

I only use the refined stuff because the unrefined upsets my stomach for some reason. The refined stuff doesn't smell/taste like coconut. I like the taste of coconut, but not in certain foods.

Comment

Good link, healthy11. I just posted on this topic on the Australia Primal foods thread. The methods of refining do vary, and I would like to find an expeller-pressed, mechanically (i.e. not chemically) refined product in Australia (or which I could have delivered here). I want to have the benefits of the MCTs without the strong coconutty smell/taste of the virgin stuff.
        I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

I thought virgin implied unrefined?
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

More info from Tropical Traditions: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm

Comment

Is coconut oil a liquid or solid at room temperature?
              Liberalism: ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by adameads View Post
                Is coconut oil a liquid or solid at room temperature?
                It's a liquid at room temperature where coconuts come from, that's why it's called "coconut oil" rather than "coconut fat". In winter, it's gonna be a solid unless you have a very warm house.

Comment

Define room temperature. Room temperature in South Texas in the winter could be near 80 degrees, but in Minnesota, it would likely be much lower.

The melting point of coconut oil is 76 degrees.

Google is your friend.

Comment

I just bought a gallon tub for about $90 - The last one lasted me a couple years!
                    Extra virgin, raw - which means it's got a coconut taste/scent.

That refined stuff just grosses me out - too altered for me. haha

Comment

This is kind of an old thread, but I do want to mention that TJs got back to me and reported that their coconut oil is indeed unrefined.
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                      X