What to eat when sick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to eat when sick

My usual comfort foods when I'm sick would be chicken soup, saltine crackers, orange juice, and sprite all of which are loaded with carbs and sugar. I just can't see myself eating steak and broccoli when my throat is killing me. Anyone have any suggestions for some low carb and low sugar alternatives?

Chicken bone broth with ginger, garlic, and cayenne. I like to poach an egg in the broth as well. A handful of spinach or finely slivered greens will boost the nutrient content as well. Plus LOTS of vitamin D3 and water.

Comment

I'm always watching my carb and sugar intake. However, when I get a cold nothing is better than a hot cup of chicken soup and hot tea. I just leave out the noodles. I don't care if its not the best choice I'm sick and it makes me feel better. I did stop the OJ though, I used to drink a whole gallon in the three days my cold would last. Now I stick to water and tea. So at least I've improved!

Comment

Scrambled eggs. I like to make an omelette for dinner even when not sick, so that's an option. Also, if you want something porridge like you can make one with almond or flax meal. Not a good idea to do all the time but on occasion it's okay. Also, smoothies.
        Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Foods:
          Home-made chicken soup (sans noodles). Cauliflower-cheese casserole (if you eat dairy its almost like mac n cheese). Egg drop soup with lots of fresh ginger. Minestrone with lots of spinach (sans noodles but its high carb from the beans). Beef stew. Fresh fruit. I'm also starting to like braised cabbage in chicken broth for when I'm icky for some reason, I think its the salt.

Liquids:
          Water with slices of lemon, lime, and orange in it. Bone broth. Hot or iced tea (chamomile, green, and mint are my favs depending on what I'm sick with).
          See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

Originally posted by Jen330 View Post
            My usual comfort foods when I'm sick would be chicken soup, saltine crackers, orange juice, and sprite all of which are loaded with carbs and sugar. I just can't see myself eating steak and broccoli when my throat is killing me. Anyone have any suggestions for some low carb and low sugar alternatives?
            Yes,

Prevent the sickness in the 1st place by taking 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 Gellcaps daily to boost your immune system.
            Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world
            Vitamin D optimization thoughts - Jack Kruse
            No more sore throats, no more colds, no more flu.

Grizz

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice! It was all very helpful. I still miss my oj but making my own chicken broth and adding veggies was actually very good. I didn't miss the noodles at all. Scrambled eggs were good too but couldn't do the omlette or the cauliflower and cheese bc dairy tends to increase production of mucus so not good when your sick but I will definatly be trying the cauliflower dish when I'm better. Great idea for a mac n cheese replacement. I will also look into increasing my vitamin d. I do take a multivitamin and a probiotic everyday and I dont get sick very often but I work in a drs office so sometimes its hard to avoid.

Comment

10,000 IU?? I'm at 1600
                Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                Current Weight: 235 pounds
                Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
                  10,000 IU?? I'm at 1600
                  Kenn,
                  I'm afraid you are extremely deficient with only 1,600 IU. Do your 25(OH)D blood test to see where you are. It should be at 70 to 100 ng/ml, as spcified by Dr. Davis and Dr. Kruse.
                  Dr. Kruse:Try to optimize your vitamin D levels to 70-100 ng/mL.
                  HOW TO EAT POST LEPTIN RX FOR OPTIMAL LIFE? - Jack Kruse
                  At home blood test for $65 or for only $50 at your nearby Lab Corp. See details below my SIG line. The wife & I come in at a near perfect 70 ng/ml on the 10,000 IU Dosage. Be sure to use oil based gel tabs, preferably using Olive Oil.

If you change your dossage, wait 3 months before taking your blood test. It takes that long to fill up all the bodily reservoirs.
                  You can easily alter your blood level.... Each 1,000 IU change will alter the blood reading by 10 ng/ml.

Grizz

Comment

I say eat based on your energy levels. If you feel like you could go catch an animal in the wild, then eat a regular meal. If you can barely get out of bed, just drink liquids.

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
                      10,000 IU?? I'm at 1600
                      How often are you outside? If you work outside or find yourself outside often, then you wouldn't need lots of supplementation. If you work in an office environment, you wake up and it's dark and you get home and it's dark, you need to supplement. I take 5,000IU a day and usually tan for two 10 minute sessions a week to get my Vitamin D.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                        How often are you outside? If you work outside or find yourself outside often, then you wouldn't need lots of supplementation. If you work in an office environment, you wake up and it's dark and you get home and it's dark, you need to supplement. I take 5,000IU a day and usually tan for two 10 minute sessions a week to get my Vitamin D.
                        Choco,

Have you done your blood test? You are likely to be deficient with your dosage. What was your last blood test? This is far too important to make assumptions.

Grizz

Comment

The only time I eat low protein and eat quite a bit of sugar is when I am fighting an infection. Low protein helps prevent viral replication. Sugar is likely to be even more damaging to a lowly virus or bacterium than it is to us.

I find dark chocolate very effective.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I like eggdrop soup when I'm not feeling well and it's so quick and easy to make too. Once you get the hang of it, the ribbons of egg can be quite noodle-like.

Comment

I'll catch some flack for this, but a berry + whey powder smoothie may help. You get a lot of nutrition in a soft package.

I second the chicken soup (no noodles).
                              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Working...
                              X