X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee free challenge?

Who's in?

I am a serious coffee addict.
    Since going primal 10 weeks ago, ive tried to give up the coffee a few times (aiming for 30 days) but managing to cave. The reason I want to give up coffee is to give up dairy. I managed for nearly a week this time using ghee in my bulletproof coffee, but my intake was going up again to 3 a day, more some days
    When I go without dairy I feel a billion times better and much less bloated.

So yeah who is going to join me, and help kick my ass?

Oh and I am aiming for 14 days first, and progress from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
      Who's in?
      ... The reason I want to give up coffee is to give up dairy. I managed for nearly a week this time using ghee in my bulletproof coffee, but my intake was going up again to 3 a day, more some days ...
      Why not try drinking coffee black? That's what I do, so I'm not taking in extra calories when I drink it between meals, as I'm avoiding snacking.
      Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-13-2012, 05:05 AM. Reason: typo
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

So you want to quit dairy not coffee. I'm with paleo-bunny, drink it black.

Oh, and I can't quit coffee upon my wife's orders. Apparently the last time I tried I was a straight up prick.

Comment

I think I will introduce it back black after 30 days I've tried black before and couldn't handle it

Comment

coconut milk, perhaps?

Comment

I applaud your efforts...but I've got no desire to give up coffee. I just really enjoy my daily cup or two of french pressed fresh ground goodness. I do drink it black, though. I keep meaning to try the coconut oil in it, but really good coffee doesn't need anything, IMHO.
              My True Primal Story

Comment

I will root you on and too applaud your efford! However I could not survive with out my daily espresso with ice and water mix. I however have made the switch to complete black, no splenda anymore. It took a while and honestly isn't as enjoyable as it was with Splenda but it is dairy free.
                Former 400 lb guy who got down to 250 lbs and became incredibly fit but can't lose the last 50 ...then gained 30+ of it back in 2011 and now back to lose the last 80 in 2012! (Jan 2012) Lesson from 2011 - Don't go back to SAD and quit your crossfit workouts thinking you are going to loose 50 more pounds! Lesson learned. Onward and upward!

http://primalE.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm a long time black coffee drinker, its just about my only vice now! Still I restrict to 2 cups a day and none after midday.
                  Buzz71
                  Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
                  Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
                  Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
                  My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Comment

I started to drink decaf because I'd like my heart and blood pressure to be healthier. I have a history of fast-pace (130+ bpm while resting, now about 80-90 since I've gone Primal), very high blood pressure (now normal / normal-high since Primal), but I'd like it to be better.

I used decaf as an excuse to drink a lot of coffee. But I found out decaf can be just as bad for you because of the chemicals used to remove the caffeine. So I'm going to reserve coffee for special occasions, like if I visit home again (Portugal), I must have their delicious coffee.
                    I don't like the coffee here (USA), so I don't have any reason to drink it, really, other than for nostalgia. Yet I still drink it.

So I am joining the challenge.
                    By the way, today I brought hot bone stock to work instead of coffee, in my travel mug. It was really delicious. Give it a try!
                    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
                    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Comment

oh HELLLLL no!
                      now, listen all you non-black drinkers, the best way to get indoctrinated to black coffee is buy a french press. it is cheap and brews amazing, rich and flavorful coffee. Drip coffee makers SUCK. to use a french press you need COARSE ground coffee beans--do not buy pre-ground coffee. I really like Cafe Pajaro from Trader Joes. But any quality, dark/robust bean freshly coarsely ground will work.
                      Dishwater coffee, like that from a drip maker or (god help me) Dunkin Donuts, is not drinkable black. It tastes like piss and dirt.
                      We go out of our way to buy grass fed beef, pastured eggs etc, put a little effort into your coffee as well.

Oh..and Ayla...good luck with your challenge...I"ve done it many times and gone back to coffee each time, even after months of not having it. I love it too much, and not just the caffeine boost, but the daily and weekly rituals (like the sunday paper with coffee) around coffee drinking...i missed them.
                      Last edited by Lolly; 01-13-2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I will go back, but ill try black, I may even cave sooner rather than later LOL.
                        But the dairy has to stay away for now, although butter was the only dairy I was having (in bulletproof coffee), as I want to see if it is hindering my weight loss as it has done for some on here.
                        I do have a french press, so you say coarse grounds are better? Ive been grinding it fine not sure why. We buy good coffee too.

Comment

If you don't use coarse grounds, the coffee can become quite muddy.
                          My True Primal Story

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPickles View Post
                            If you don't use coarse grounds, the coffee can become quite muddy.
                            ^This. Coffee for a French press is ground far more coarsely that drip coffee

Comment

Isn't butter supposed to be more acceptable because it causes less of an insulin response?

As for ditching coffee, I dunno if I'd survive the withdrawal...

Comment

Working...
                              X