Screw this BS! I Quit..!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw this BS! I Quit..!

…being unhealthy, overweight, drinking too much and being miserable!!!

I started Primal in 2011 and immediately knew it was “right”. Then life happened. Few drinks here and there turned into drinking almost every night…which lead to drinking all weekend long (hey, we deserve to relax on the weekends, right??).

I know the primal lifestyle is best for me. So right now, right here I RESOVE TO SCREW THE BS AND QUIT! Beginning right NOW. No more excuses, no more delaying it, no more BS!

I’m joining feastingforager’s 30 day challenge buddy thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46123.html and committing to updating my journal thread DAILY.

Anyone else feed up with themselves?
    "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity"

Primal Journal *WinkBlu*

lol!!! Yesh!! I am determined to get off my arse and exercise-

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I started feeling that way in November, right around my 30th birthday. Completely by accident, I stumbled on to the book Wheat Belly and the corresponding blog, which led me to MDA and a few other sites about primal living.

The first couple months of this journey have been very confusing and hard for me. Quitting anti-depressants originally left me feeling so completely depressed, combined with all the dietary changes I was about to give up. I'm glad I didn't though. Adding in more exercise (low intensity walking, a couple HIIT sessions, and weights) really seems to have done the trick.

I can't wait to see some tangible results. I hope you see some soon too!

Comment

"the path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"

Comment

While I don't drink every night, I certainly have not given it up. I consider it my primary indulgence and instead work extra hard at avoiding other stuff.
          Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
          Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
          Goal: 160

Comment

Welcome LexxyV86 and Nikitatolata! Glad to have some company on this journey!

I too need to incorporate some type of activity, exercise into my lifestyle. I think it's been hard for me as my SO and I were hard core gym junkies a few years ago and I don't want to go back to that mentality (although the lack of any activity is worse!). There is a college track just up the road from our apt, but I just HATE walking around in a circle! and the rest of the neighborhood is one LARGE hill leading to the highway maybe lifting weights and doing some modified form of P90x at home is the solution for me.

@dado - Love the quote

@saturnfan - I wish I could use alcohol as an indulgence. For me, right now that's simply not an option. One drink will only lead to more for me

Primal Journal *WinkBlu*

Comment

Hi WinkBlu et al;

felt like you did four months ago and made the change.

Worth every penny!

Good luck one and all

Comment

Hey i just want to say i understand your wanting to abstain from the booze... But once you get things in order it doesnt have to be.

I drink every Friday and Sat night almost out with my friends. (and more than a few... I have a good time. I did however change what I drink) It is a vice of mine like smoking a pipe or cigar now and then. I choose to keep them and that is that.

That being said primal still works great for me and I keep getting closer to my goals.

Comment

Ex-alcoholic here. Haven't had a drink in seven years. Because I'll die if I do, and I like being alive.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I am right there with you...started off strong...dropped nine pounds easily...and then got back into drinking...stupid. I have restarted and have sworn off beer...until such a time I am where I want to be and can partake in moderation!

Start Date/Weight: December 6, 2011 - 203 lbs

Comment

You might look into Moderation Management for booze. Some people need to abstain and AA helps them do that but the dirty secret is that AA and abstainance has a pretty poor track record.

One thing that helped me was to figure out what I wanted and what I didn't. I found that I'm pretty ok with tying one on two nights a week (not consecutively). But I don't like blackouts or even what I call "impressionistic" evenings (e.g. "I think I was talking to some girl about Hawaii at some point and then I remember getting cigaretttes",).

Toward this end I've adopted some rules of thumb -- eat first, know my limits (I can drink beer til the cows come home but I have to be careful after the third whiskey), take note of my inebriation while I'm drinking, throw down a glass of water at some point, etc....

One thing you shouldn't do, is turn away in shame from the night before. Just think about what you did, what you liked, what you didn't. If you just turn away in shame, you won't confront.

And another thing, willpower is overrated. People can only be "resolved" for so long. One of the great things about Primal is that it's "doable". You can loose weight eating nothing but boiled haddock and mushy veggies or spending 90 minutes a day on the treadmill, but it's not going to last.

Comment

I am coming to have the same mindset as you, Rojo, about drinking. At the beginning of the year I said I was not going to drink anything at all until I went on vacation at the end of February. But, in order to do that, I realized I would have to turn down just about every social event with my friends because alcohol is always there and if everyone else is enjoying it, I know I will want to as well.

I think that, for me, a much better approach is to drink it when an occasion calls for it, but no more than two times a week, max. My goal is to drink no more than once a week. There is nothing worse than losing an entire day due to a hangover, which is a thought I keep in the front of my mind when I do drink. Hopefully a few glasses of wine on the weekend won't hold me back too much. I really want to lose weight, but I also don't want to go to extremes to do it, beacuse it has never worked for the long term in the past.

Comment

I agree, for most people, moderation is the key. And I don't think anyone needs to give up alcohol for primal to work. I don't advocate going to extremes cause I know from experience, it's not "doable" in the long haul.

But....for me, I KNOW I have to abstain from alcohol to get back on track. My drinking isn't due to social events or hanging with friends. It's turned into a "had a long day at work, how about a few drinks after work?" It's become the standard routine and for me, its simply not healthy and holding me back from my health/fitness goals. Once I get my health and lifestyle back on track, I don't see any problems with a glass of wine on occassion.

Primal Journal *WinkBlu*

Comment

Originally posted by WinkBlu View Post
                            I agree, for most people, moderation is the key. And I don't think anyone needs to give up alcohol for primal to work. I don't advocate going to extremes cause I know from experience, it's not "doable" in the long haul.

But....for me, I KNOW I have to abstain from alcohol to get back on track. My drinking isn't due to social events or hanging with friends. It's turned into a "had a long day at work, how about a few drinks after work?" It's become the standard routine and for me, its simply not healthy and holding me back from my health/fitness goals. Once I get my health and lifestyle back on track, I don't see any problems with a glass of wine on occasion.
                            WinkBlu;
                            I tried the "social drinking" route and it wasn't right for me--at least not right now. I was coming off long term stress
                            and care giving to an alcoholic chain-smoking parent. I drank to chill out and get energy after my stressful day.
                            Martini time was unwind time but often didn't stop after happy hour. As I mentioned before, four months ago
                            I realized it was getting out of hand and I wanted to change the equation towards health and fitness.

I didn't use any formal "AA" stuff--just made up my mind and set up for success. Here are a few things I started with:

I ate some dried figs, nibs, raw cashews,and shredded coconut which I kept with me to deal with
                            the alcohol cravings (really metabolized sugar) and I managed to deal with the urges well
                            and help my body recover some needed nutrition. Just keep something with you to munch on that has
                            good protein and fat, and perhaps a little sugar since that seems to be a trigger.

I also BYOB'd all social events (then and now) with my non-alcoholic choices, which was kombocha or herbal
                            tea which I blended myself and put in "drink size" bottles.

Meanwhile, I took a milk thistle pill to detox liver daily and plenty of fiber and got serious about exercise.
                            Hiking and Crossfit were what I did, but anything that gets you moving and sweating will work:
                            Dancing by yourself, kettlebells, etc.

Keep hydrated--you need to really stick with lots of pure water. Sleep as much as you can, but I'll be honest
                            it may be hard and you'll wake up a lot. I started a journal, read a couple of novels, and reread Robb Wolff's book.

I tapered down on the fruit in my mix as the weeks wore on and kept increasing the fat.
                            Now I eat very little sweet anything and have increased energy and strength,
                            and mental belief that I can really do this myself has also been increasing.

I may drink again socially one day, but right now I really am enjoying feeling good, losing weight, and
                            lifting way better. I just started riding horses again after five years off and am training for
                            an endurance race in a few months.

I don't miss booze and find this lifestyle very easy right now. I was ready for it at last.

If I can do it, anyone can. I was raised, in a way, to drink by a drinker and freely joined in many years ago.
                            But you really have to be ready for a change, and if you backslide, just hop back on the wagon where you fell off. It's all good.
                            Last edited by missblue; 01-13-2012, 07:30 AM.

Comment

knifegill, for you:

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/12/02/reve...-league-video/

Comment

Working...
                              X