Is weird to not experience carb flu?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is weird to not experience carb flu?

I'm new to the paleo lifestyle, but I tried Adkins years ago. Everyone told me when I tried Adkins that I'd feel very tired at the least and actually sick at the worst when I cut my carb intake. I didn't. I actually felt great. My energy levels went through the roof. When I started talking about paleo at work, my coworkers were telling me the same thing. There are several people that are a few months ahead of me in the quest to be Grok that were telling me about the carb flu. Once again, my energy levels went through the roof. I haven't felt sick at all. On the contrary, I feel a lot better. Is that strange?

I don't think it's strange but is perhaps unusual. I think it indicates that your leptin and insulin weren't too mucked up when you started, i.e. your body is not resistant to burning fat and ketones as it's main source of fuel, as most bodies ravaged by the SAD are.

Are you very active? I think that can help.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I never had the carb flu. I attributed my lack of flu to the fact that I have always used good fats coming from a WAP background. I say enjoy the energy.

Comment

I'm not very active. I'm probably more active than most in my field (IT), but still not what I'd call very active. My diet was carb heavy, but a lot of that was potatoes, beans, peas, etc. I mainly ate what I or my family grew. 90% of the meat came from animals I killed and processed.

Comment

I didn't experience carb flu until I was about 5 or 6 days into it, except maybe some mild dizziness/lightheadness that I attributed more to forgetting to eat than anything. Then it hit hard for about 2 days. It seems to be gone again now.
          Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
          Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Comment

never felt it, not for a second .. the wife did however
            started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

It's been four months for me, and I've had no problems with it at all. Whereas when I tried Atkins, I lost 5 pounds in 4 days and felt like I was going to die.

Comment

I never felt it either.

And, I actually felt as though I snorted a few lines every day (askmehowiknow).

Unlimited energy and a weird endorphin rush would happen about three times a day......

I was also in a really good mood, which my children were very thankful for.

I need to get back to that place.... the carbs have crept back in so they're not as low
                as they once were to GET to that Free Narcotic Place.

But that's only because I suck and can't keep out of the damn chocolate!

Sigh.

Julie

Comment

Same here, I felt better from day one on Primal, no carb flu whatsoever. In reading these replies it appears that those of us who already ate lots of real food, no low-fat rubbish and little sugar were able to avoid the temporary funk at the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                    I need to get back to that place.... the carbs have crept back in so they're not as low
                    as they once were to GET to that Free Narcotic Place.

But that's only because I suck and can't keep out of the damn chocolate!
                    You can do it! I've already passed the 10 day mark of no chocolate and have no cravings whatsoever! Once you get rid of it for a while, you sort of forget about it. Plus magnesium supplements help.

And you can tell through my journal that I've had a lot of issues trying to give up chocolate in the past. So if I can do it, so can you!

Are athletes who train until the point of utter exhaustion where glycogen stores are noticeably gone more likely to get accustomed to fat-burning? Or is it the other way around because they do it all the time and the body resists?
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

ive went low carb several different times. sometimes i got the flu sometimes i didnt. i think it depends on a lot more then just going low carb. probably has something to do with nutrients already in your body at the time or something scientifical like that
                      Primal Chaos
                      37yo 6'5"
                      6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                      current 338lbs 49" waist
                      goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Good for you!

Like many posters here - felt euphoric eating primal - I would drive home after a 9-10 hour day wondering why I felt so f'ing awesome! And I quit all grains, all sugar cold turkey. I didn't realize how much my increasing acid reflux and IBS symptoms were dragging me down....along with the roller coaster of cheap carbs...
                        Then I hit a low energy spot about a month in I think, maybe 6 weeks but I think it was largely hormonal and went away quickly.
                        No 'flu like' symptoms at all - my insides have thanked me from day 1!

pbj
                        my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by Duck View Post
                          I'm not very active. I'm probably more active than most in my field (IT), but still not what I'd call very active. My diet was carb heavy, but a lot of that was potatoes, beans, peas, etc. I mainly ate what I or my family grew. 90% of the meat came from animals I killed and processed.
                          In other words, you were already eating real food. Your metabolism was probably not damaged as much as a lot of people's. Potatoes aren't really bad for you, and beans are pretty harmless compared to processed sugar-junk.
                          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

i never felt it either.

Comment

I don't get it, and I get into Ketosis in under 24 hours... As long as I stay away from wheat! Wheat makes it a lot more difficult.
                              5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Working...
                              X