Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling gardeners / veg growers!

Hi *waves*

I've been given the go ahead to create a little veg patch. Woo! By little, we're talking 1m x 2m or thereabouts. Because of the size, I'm thinking about "square foot gardening" http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/schools_organic_network/leaflets/SquareFootGardening.pdf

The trouble is trying to work out what to grow in each section, as I don't know what grows in which seasons, different harvest times, and I know sometimes plants inhibit each other??

Also, a lot of traditional allotment plants are beans and sweetcorn - not primal! So any suggestions / tips would be appreciated!

So far, I'm listing the veggies I enjoy eating!

- broccoli (cut and come again variety; the plant itself is very large)

- carrot? (relatively cheap in shops; prone to pests?)

- beets

- parsnip

- celeriac

- salad leaves (I grow these indoors fairly easily; is it worth wasting outdoor space?)

- pak choi (grow to baby-size indoors as well)

- leeks

- squash (too big for sq.ft. garden??) - butternut, acorn

- various herbs

The root veg seem fairly carb heavy and wintery... what do people grow for summer??

Homegrown cherry toms are usually much tastier than shop bought ones (that is, if we get any sun in the UK!). I wasn't that successful with peppers, but if you can provide cover (greenhouse or cloches/tunnels) you should be able to grow them, as well as aubergines I believe.

Other summer crops: radishes, kohlrabi (easy to grow, hard to buy), courgettes (I love the flowers too, lightly fried in batter - have to think about a Primal version), peas (eating pea shoots in salads too), green beans, spring onions, garlic...

I must admit I've never grown carrots or parsnips as the soil in my garden was rather stony and that leads to stunted roots/weird shapes. Not sure how deep your square foot compost has to be...

Comment

You can grow squash. Just use a trellis and grow up!

Cucumbers too.

Swiss chard, wax beans, heirloom tomatoes, hot peppers, garlic, onions, edible flowers...

Mel's book goes into planting timing and a bit on companion planting.

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Cool, thanks

So far I think it will be 3 "squares" north-south, and maybe 5 "squares" across east-west, so hopefully room for squash to grow up a trellis on the back (north) row.

Would anything fit between squash plants if I alternated them, or would they shade out the adjacent squares?

Also:

celery

mini cabbages?

shallots

"perpetual spinach"?

Comment

Oooo - are there any small / miniture berry varieties? The only ones I'm familiar with are the big raspberry canes etc. And strawberries are only "ok" - I prefer the raspberries, tayberries and similar...

(thanks for putting up with the questions - google brings up such different versions and opinions I prefer real life people to annoy!)

Comment

Zucchini?! It grows so easily and is awesome! I would grow radishes and cukes to pickle. Also would def try for some japanese eggplant.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

If you don't already have the Square Foot Gardening book, it's definitely worth buying. It has tons of info on when to start seeds, when to transplant outside, how long until harvest, etc. - all in these great charts in the back of the book. I started SFG raised beds last spring using the book. Most things were a great success, except onions and tomatoes (terrible summer for tomatoes, no sun or heat, plus almost everyone was cursed with the late blight).

Kale and arugula are some of my favorites. They are super cold-hardy too.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
              On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Another thought hit me (ouch!) - even though I won't eat beans or peas, should I still plant some for the nitrogen fixing? Or for bartering perhaps? Or to feed to my as-yet-non-existing chickens...?

Comment

Different, but related question. What is the best seed catalog?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Seed savers is great.

www.seedsavers.org

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

The answer to which is the best seed catalog has a lot to do with where you live. In the Pacific NW, I think Territorial is the best. They've been around for ages, and their seeds/plants are specific to this region. http://www.territorialseed.com

Comment

You can eat beans and peas if they are in the edible pod.

They won't have any of the nasties since they are the immature seed.

What is better than yellow wax beans with butter in August? Perhaps snap peas straight from the vine while weeding.

I would not suggest getting a catalouge. Unless you want to be disappointed that you only have 15 square feet haha! Seedsaver.org is great. They will have lots of heirloom varieties that are unique like red carrots or chocolate peppers.

I still have 2 4 x 8 plots reserved at my ex wifes backyard haha! I can't wait till spring!

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Ahh I didn't know that chima_p. You sure?

Maybe I could add sugar snap pease / mange tout to my list...

Negotiating my growing patch tomorrow, wish me luck!

Comment

I would grow a caged tomato plant or two. Plant a row of green beans if you eat them - you can really squeeze them in and pick several times. You can get small bush zucchini - you will probably need more than one for pollination, since you might get a male plant which will have lovely blossoms, but no squash. Bush cucumbers are easy as well. Broccoli, cabbage, and others in that family attract cabbage butterflies and worms. Hard to grow without pesticides or constant attention. Carrots are easy, but take a long time. Radishes are quick! Plant leaf lettuces and spinach for greens which can be cut over and over. I like to put herbs in between things. If you eat potatoes, you can grow those above ground - just cover with a thick layer of straw.

Comment

After years and years of gardening, I have narrowed what I plant to only those vegetables that taste the best straight from the garden, and those that I use so frequently that there's a great advantage to having them handy all the time. If you have limited space, I strongly suggest you do the same.

For example, squash plants take a lot of space in the garden, even when they're trained up a trellis. They have an extensive root system that makes it difficult to grow anything else in near proximity. But, squash from the farmer's market tastes just as good as squash straight from the vine, so there's little advantage to growing your own, unless you have lots of room.

Depending on where you live, and how experienced you are as a gardener, other vegetables may also be better for you to buy.

For a beginning gardener in a very small space, tomatoes are always a good bet. They taste best when freshly picked, are very satisfying and easy to grow. Lettuce, too, is easily grown in the home garden, and because it's used often, you can't overlook the convenience factor. In the size of garden you describe, you have enough room for two vigorous tomato plants, a small row of lettuce (use scissors to cut the tops and the lettuce will go all season), and maybe some radishes (2 or 3 plantings in the spring), possibly a little room for your favorite herb like basil or cilantro. Where you had the radishes, later in the season you can plant Brussels sprouts, as they taste best after some frost, and they quickly go to seed if you plant them when it's too hot.

Please, keep us updated on what you decide and how it works for you. I love to read gardening stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X