Calling gardeners / veg growers!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great tips, thank you!

I think I'll update the garden on my journal thread. Today we picked out and dug over a patch, much bigger than I thought but it means I should get a bumper crop!

I've decided not to plan too in-depth, as mother nature doesn't read plans! But the gist will be to plant very close together as per SFG; squash and peas up a trellis / cage at the northern end so they don't shade out other things; I want to try for purple sprouting broccoli, beets, carrots, parsnips, celery and leeks! Any summer gaps will be filled with quick salad crops; and any space in autumn will go over to kale / spring green-type things.

The other people using the veg garden are completely bemused by my plans but are being kind and helpful

Comment

to determine your zone check out http://www.almanac.com/ which also gives you info on what and when to plant for your zone.

Comment

That's Tara Tootie for the seedsavers link never heard of them.

When I buy something from the store that has seeds, I save them and wait for planting time.

Comment

NMG -- jealous a little. No Digging here -- ground is frozen.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Awww Sir G, you'll defrost soon (I hope! Where are you?). I've got instructions to rescue some silage wrapping - thick black plastic - to lay out to warm up the ground.

Still trying to work out what to plant and when! Taking into account what seeds everyone else has, then maybe I need only buy one or two new varieties

Comment

We have more than frozen ground here in southern PA. We have to wait for 30 inches of snow to melt first. And we are expecting 12-18 inches more tomorrow night! Spring seems a long way off at this point, but the garden catalogs are nice to look at.

Comment

Working...
              X