Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insomnia and Ketosis -- How to make it better without more carbs????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insomnia and Ketosis -- How to make it better without more carbs????

Help!

I love PB and will lose steadily in ketosis... but I suffer from terrible insomnia. It takes a long time to fall asleep, I don't sleep soundly and wake up multiple times a night getting only around 4 hours of sleep. This will go on for weeks... until I eat more carbohydrate, kick myself out of ketosis and weight loss stalls.

How do I continue to lose weight, get the great benefits of PB and sleep? It only takes about 80g - 100g of carbs a day for me to stop losing. Plus, it is hard to get that much from veggies. Adding in more than 1/2 cup of berries a day or adding starch brings the binge monster out. For me the carbs are more of an all or nothing proposition. I feel great at 40-50 net a day from one small fruit serving and the rest from veggies.

Background: 46, female, BMI just fell below 30 last week (yay!). I have lost 70+ pounds over the last 14 months or so with another 40-50 to go. I am extremely carb sensitive both relative to weight and food reward/binge cycle eating.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? Has anyone figured out the answer? After about 10 days of poor sleep, I get pretty cranky and have trouble focusing at work.

Thanks much!

magnesium, vitamin d, sodium. check those
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Have you tried non-fruit options to increase carbs, like the occasional serving of white rice or some starches like sweet potato? Plenty of winter squash options as well, as those are fairly high-carb. Maybe this will not trigger a binge as much, since there's less sugar than fruit.
      Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
        Have you tried non-fruit options to increase carbs, like the occasional serving of white rice or some starches like sweet potato? Plenty of winter squash options as well, as those are fairly high-carb. Maybe this will not trigger a binge as much, since there's less sugar than fruit.
        it isnt the "sugar" is it the number of total number of carbs.

but great thought. how long have you been in ketosis?

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

I was in ketosis for around 3 weeks the last time before I had to eat more carbs so I could sleep. More carbs will end my weight-loss... it doesn't just slow it down.

Magnesium, vitamin D and sodium are all good. Last check on vitamin D was 63. It is the ketosis that keeps me from sleeping. It has been an ongoing problem. I have read that the body will adjust, but mine never has... I get wired and do not sleep. It is pretty frustrating.

Thanks for the ideas, though!

Comment

There are some older threads on this that, if I recall correctly, had some good suggestions. I believe Natural Calm magnesium 1-2 hours before bed was the most popular. I have also read that a small carb/protein combo snack before bed can assist with sleep. This will pass eventually on its own - but not sleeping it horrible
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie A. View Post
              I was in ketosis for around 3 weeks the last time before I had to eat more carbs so I could sleep. More carbs will end my weight-loss... it doesn't just slow it down.

Magnesium, vitamin D and sodium are all good. Last check on vitamin D was 63. It is the ketosis that keeps me from sleeping. It has been an ongoing problem. I have read that the body will adjust, but mine never has... I get wired and do not sleep. It is pretty frustrating.

The D is OK. it may interest you to know that D is a hormone that is made at the end of the line of all the other hormones. That your D is 63 (low) says to me that your adrenals may be tired which would explain the lack of sleep. If you can do a salivary cortisol test. I bet you find that they are too high at night.

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Dr Eades recommended a small carb snack before bed to get around this. A teaspoon of honey, something like that. Take the carbs from one of your other meals so you don't go too high.
                My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Hmmm... Vitamin D Council indicates optimal levels falling between 50-80 ng/mL and I am 63, so I don't think the Vitamin D is the problem.

I will try a snack before bed and see how it goes.

Comment

I, too, find a snack before bed helps me sleep, but it doesn't need to be carbs. Pretty much anything will work well

Comment

Hi,

Another person on this forum recently sent me the link below on using honey just before bed to promote sleep. It's something I'm experimenting with now because I am chronically exhausted even after sleeping 8+ hours. So far, I've noticed that I tend to fall asleep more quickly when having honey. Below is an exerpt from the article, and a link to the article:

Eating honey ensures an adequate supply of liver glycogen at all times throughout the day. Because honey, and its ideal ratio of fructose to glucose, is rapidly incorporated into glycogen in the liver, it becomes the ideal food for quick morning starts. It is perfect as a pre-, mid-, and post-exercise energy source. And taken before bedtime, it a great way to get a good night’s sleep. Honey’s effect on sleep is one of the more exciting and promising focuses of research yet to be conducted. We already know that honey promotes restorative sleep in two ways. First, it ensures an adequate supply of liver glycogen for the night fast. The average adult liver can store only about 75 to 100 grams of glycogen, with differences between men and women and according to body size. The body will consume about 10 grams of glycogen per hour (6.5 grams by the brain and 3.5 grams by the heart, kidneys, and red blood cells). When one eats dinner at 6:00 pm and goes to bed at 11:00 pm, the body will have utilized up to half of the liver’s supply of glycogen, leaving less than needed for eight hours of rest. Eating honey before bedtime re-stocks the liver with glycogen and ensures getting through the night before the brain triggers a crisis search for fuel (the metabolic stress, described earlier, that occurs when the liver runs out of glycogen). Second, honey facilitates restorative sleep by contributing to the release of melatonin in the brain. Honey triggers a small spike in insulin levels (the glucose in honey stimulates in a small insulin release), and insulin stimulates the release of tryptophan in the brain. Tryptophan is converted to serotonin, which in the dark is converted to melatonin. Melatonin in return inhibits the release of insulin, thus further stabilizing blood sugar levels during the night. Melatonin is necessary for restorative sleep. Often called the “wellness hormone,” it helps to enhance immunity and facilitate the rebuilding of tissues during rest.

Honey - more than a sweetener, naturally

Comment

I suspect most carbs would do the same - doesn't have to be honey.
                        My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Eating one meal a day before bed solves this problem. Carnivores sleep after they eat.
                          Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Can't sleep

Originally posted by Stephanie A. View Post

I am going through this very same thing right now. Except that I will go for 3 days without even a minute of sleep. It's so friggin' frustrating that I just want to beat the walls. I'm doing everything right to help myself, and I can't sleep. My heart races all night long.

There has to be some answer but so far what I find is that everybody says the same old things and they never work - magnesium, calcium, carbs - nothing has helped me.

Comment

Check DHEA and try eating CO before bed

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Working...
                              X