Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tough week- kids all started school again on Monday, my husband is traveling, I am carting kids to all their sports activities by myself just about every night, and filling out school forms while working full time. I got a little bit off diet this week and I wasn't sleeping as well, having to get up earlier to get kids on bus . My bp of course is back up so I am very motivated to be stricter on primal. I just feel better and have more energy. I plan on enjoying my three day weekend, shopping and cooking lots of delicious primal food. I cooked extra tonight so I have plenty for lunch and dinner tomorrow.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by cavequeen View Post
      Tough week- kids all started school again on Monday, my husband is traveling, I am carting kids to all their sports activities by myself just about every night, and filling out school forms while working full time. I got a little bit off diet this week and I wasn't sleeping as well, having to get up earlier to get kids on bus . My bp of course is back up so I am very motivated to be stricter on primal. I just feel better and have more energy. I plan on enjoying my three day weekend, shopping and cooking lots of delicious primal food. I cooked extra tonight so I have plenty for lunch and dinner tomorrow.
      You can do it! Good job on the planning for the weekend! Happy cooking!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

      Comment


      • Going camping with my [non-primal] boyfriend through Sunday. Packed granola bars for his snacks, hot dog buns for his hot dogs, and foil-wrapped potatoes for his sides. I also plan on buying marshmallows. But, for me, I have a few larabars, macadamia nuts, and two apples (for roasting on the fire maybe!). For the both of us I have Applewood Farms brand no-added-nitrate organic grass-fed beef hot dogs and chicken sausages. Though the boy will be having potatoes, I pre-sliced a green pepper to cook in my new cast-iron skillet and cubed an eggplant to cook over the fire like a kabob!

        What have you guys brought camping before?
        >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
        >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

        >> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
        >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

        Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
          Going camping with my [non-primal] boyfriend through Sunday. Packed granola bars for his snacks, hot dog buns for his hot dogs, and foil-wrapped potatoes for his sides. I also plan on buying marshmallows. But, for me, I have a few larabars, macadamia nuts, and two apples (for roasting on the fire maybe!). For the both of us I have Applewood Farms brand no-added-nitrate organic grass-fed beef hot dogs and chicken sausages. Though the boy will be having potatoes, I pre-sliced a green pepper to cook in my new cast-iron skillet and cubed an eggplant to cook over the fire like a kabob!

          What have you guys brought camping before?
          I love to camp! I always bring steaks for the campfire grill, tomatoes to slice, maybe a potato to bake in the coals, eggs and bacon for breakfast, bags of lettuce, and for lunches - at camp or hiking - natural cold cuts with lettuce wraps. For snacky foods, I like Quest Bars, nuts, seaweed snacks, carrots, celery with peanut butter, etc. If we stay two nights, we will usually have burgers or dogs and if its Fall camping then I will make a pot of beef stew in a dutch oven. My hubby usually brings some chocolate chips for himself - to mix with the nuts - I'm not too much into sweet foods (meat and potatoes girl). Unfortunately it was too hot in Virginia this summer to camp - maybe this fall.

          Comment


          • I'm new to this forum and have spent two evenings enjoying this thread. I'm in my 50's, post-menopausal, mother of three grown boys, grandmother of one. I'm a banker and have a totally sedentary job, working spreadsheets on a computer 9 hours a day. I have let my weight creep up frustratingly over the past two years and have been working with a doctor for over a year to get the hormones right (bio-identical estriol and progesterone) and cut down the hot flashes. I have some arthritis and acid reflux - both of which disappear when I cut the grains and sugar out of my diet. I'm 5"7", 181 lbs, pear-shaped (thin from the waist up, though with menopause my formerly thin waist has expanded). I am a long time low-carber, but get frustrated from time to time and say, "screw it" and eat what I want - usually while on a vacation I've tried to lose weight for and failed. I have a closet full of pants I can't wear so I wear skirts every day to help hide my thighs. I work out at a gym fairly faithfully 3-4 days a week combining 45 mins cardio with about 20 minutes weights - the bare minimum I know, but I usually go after work from 6:30 - 7:45pm. I have a lot of stress in my life with job and husband who is "between jobs". Now the good: I decided to try Weight Watchers about a month ago since the points plus system allows a wide variation of foods and is finally conducive to low carb eating. I decided that the only way I can lose weight is to cut my food portions across the board - I was eating large quantities of meat, adding fat, while keeping carbs under 50. Wasn't working. So I decided to use WW to help me control portions. It's working! I basically eat 3 1/2 oz of protein each meal, add veggies and occasional fruits, add in a couple of protein-heavy snacks, drink lots of water and stay within my 26 alloted points. Who knew that I could be full after 3 oz meat? I have always eaten about 8 oz at least at dinner time - usually ribeye or other fatty cut. I've substituted Applegate Organic Beef Hot Dogs (great breakfast), grass-fed tenderloin (I can afford it if I'm eating only 3 oz or so), roasted freerange chicken (no skin, sadly), scallops and shrimp, and lean farmers market pork. And pastured eggs. Then I supplement the low fat content of the meat with Carlsen's lemon fish oil, a little butter, coconut oil, whatever fits. The only grain food I allow myself is occasionally 2 organic corn tortillas from WF when I make taco meat or carnitas. No sugar, very little dairy (I allow myself 1/2 c cottage cheese, a Tbl sour cream, and up to 1/2 oz cheese at a time). By golly, it's working as I have lost 10 lbs. I never thought I would lose weight again - I thought I was "different" than other folks and had no metabolism whatsoever. It tuns out that portion control for me is key - and I can still eat good paleo whole foods and not experience hunger. BTW my husband eats very low carb - but has his chcolate in the evenings and a few light beers a week. I've given up alcohol and sweets completely. Many whole foods are very low in WW points -win win. That's my story!

            Comment


            • Hi ladies I've been browsing this site/ post for quite a while now and just wanted to say hello. My name is Zoe and I'm 34 yrs old from the uk. I have been primal for 5 weeks and have lost 15lb so far but aside from the weight loss I FEEL FAB, I never dreamed I'd be able to follow this lifestyle but it has come so easy (apart from my love of vodka and diet coke ). I just need to start exercising now but with two daughters and a job don't have a lot of time or money, any suggestions xx

              Comment


              • Originally posted by MarieD View Post
                I'm new to this forum and have spent two evenings enjoying this thread. I'm in my 50's, post-menopausal, mother of three grown boys, grandmother of one. I'm a banker and have a totally sedentary job, working spreadsheets on a computer 9 hours a day. I have let my weight creep up frustratingly over the past two years and have been working with a doctor for over a year to get the hormones right (bio-identical estriol and progesterone) and cut down the hot flashes. I have some arthritis and acid reflux - both of which disappear when I cut the grains and sugar out of my diet. I'm 5"7", 181 lbs, pear-shaped (thin from the waist up, though with menopause my formerly thin waist has expanded). I am a long time low-carber, but get frustrated from time to time and say, "screw it" and eat what I want - usually while on a vacation I've tried to lose weight for and failed. I have a closet full of pants I can't wear so I wear skirts every day to help hide my thighs. I work out at a gym fairly faithfully 3-4 days a week combining 45 mins cardio with about 20 minutes weights - the bare minimum I know, but I usually go after work from 6:30 - 7:45pm. I have a lot of stress in my life with job and husband who is "between jobs". Now the good: I decided to try Weight Watchers about a month ago since the points plus system allows a wide variation of foods and is finally conducive to low carb eating. I decided that the only way I can lose weight is to cut my food portions across the board - I was eating large quantities of meat, adding fat, while keeping carbs under 50. Wasn't working. So I decided to use WW to help me control portions. It's working! I basically eat 3 1/2 oz of protein each meal, add veggies and occasional fruits, add in a couple of protein-heavy snacks, drink lots of water and stay within my 26 alloted points. Who knew that I could be full after 3 oz meat? I have always eaten about 8 oz at least at dinner time - usually ribeye or other fatty cut. I've substituted Applegate Organic Beef Hot Dogs (great breakfast), grass-fed tenderloin (I can afford it if I'm eating only 3 oz or so), roasted freerange chicken (no skin, sadly), scallops and shrimp, and lean farmers market pork. And pastured eggs. Then I supplement the low fat content of the meat with Carlsen's lemon fish oil, a little butter, coconut oil, whatever fits. The only grain food I allow myself is occasionally 2 organic corn tortillas from WF when I make taco meat or carnitas. No sugar, very little dairy (I allow myself 1/2 c cottage cheese, a Tbl sour cream, and up to 1/2 oz cheese at a time). By golly, it's working as I have lost 10 lbs. I never thought I would lose weight again - I thought I was "different" than other folks and had no metabolism whatsoever. It tuns out that portion control for me is key - and I can still eat good paleo whole foods and not experience hunger. BTW my husband eats very low carb - but has his chcolate in the evenings and a few light beers a week. I've given up alcohol and sweets completely. Many whole foods are very low in WW points -win win. That's my story!
                Hi MarieD,
                I have had a similar experience, I have 3 boys, though not as old as yours - 19. 16 and 9. My job is totally sedentary, though I force myself to go for a walk at lunch time.
                I wasn't losing weight despite being low carb and going the gym several times a week. I also followed WW, still staying low carb and not eating processed food. Over the last 6 months I have gone from approx 180lb to 154lb (I have put on a couple of lb the last week or so due to holidays.)
                I think WW are realising that non processed food isn't good for weight loss, mind that doesn't stop them selling their chocolate bars etc.
                The main things I do different t o you is I don't eat any tortillas and I eat the chicken skin.
                When my weight loss stalled I found not eating fruit helped. I read the Gary Taubes book and really reduced my carbs.
                Good luck with your weigh loss.

                Comment


                • Eating primal really helps my bp, my bp this morning 109/72 without meds. Yeah, me! Now, if I could just lose 15 more lbs. I will need to get stricter though and workout more to get back down there though I think.

                  Comment


                  • I'm following Paleobirds EAT MOAR FAT concept --- 10% carbs 20% proteins 70% fat........... the weight is coming off. Read The Eating Academy website for more good info on why you should eat lots of good healthy fats.
                    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion
                    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Zoebea34 View Post
                      I just need to start exercising now but with two daughters and a job don't have a lot of time or money, any suggestions xx
                      Same situation here, can't/won't pay for a gym I don't have time to go to, 2 little kids that are too small to leave at home alone while I exercise, but too annoying and big to take with me! Oh, and a husband who is willing to watch the kids while I exercise, but who works most daylight hours - so unless I take up moonlit walks.......

                      I did do C25K a few years ago, which is running aided by podcasts three times a week (doable for the most part). Once a week I can usually get out for some one on one time with my oldest - he's 6 - and I walk/run while he rides his bike. I also have some Zumba DVD's which I picked up cheap online so I can get that going in the evenings when the kids go to bed.

                      Its hard trying to fit in exercise, but if you get committed to it you'll find less excuses.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Zoebea34 View Post
                        Hi ladies I've been browsing this site/ post for quite a while now and just wanted to say hello. My name is Zoe and I'm 34 yrs old from the uk. I have been primal for 5 weeks and have lost 15lb so far but aside from the weight loss I FEEL FAB, I never dreamed I'd be able to follow this lifestyle but it has come so easy (apart from my love of vodka and diet coke ). I just need to start exercising now but with two daughters and a job don't have a lot of time or money, any suggestions xx
                        PBF is great! I SAH with a 2 and 4yo. We go in the basement and they play while I exercise. We go the park and they chase me or slide while I sprint. I think it's a great opportunity to show them how exercising is a natural part of life. Each session only takes 30min or less.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by tomi View Post
                          Ladies.......... I'm getting frustrated looking through all these posts and finding 80% are from and about men. I want to start a thread just for us girls. We can post things here that are relevant to living primal from a female point of view.

                          So --- if you're interested, post some basic info about you and your experience with the PB.

                          OK --- your turn.
                          So I think this is fun. The guys usually butt in and offer unwanted advice. Not really, but this is still fun.

                          Moi: I'm 47- married for 18 yrs/together 25 yrs. Three children: 15, 14, 11. Boys on both ends; youngest child has Autism. Stress from that issue alone has messed with my body. Marriage is on the rocks right now, which only adds to it.

                          I am an eating disorder kid. Spent my 16th birthday in a hospital where the main goal was to put on weight (drink butter out of bottom of vegetable dish or drink Ensure; things like that) Anorexia progressed to bulimia to avoid obvious detection of my problem. Spent 15 yrs enmeshed in calories until my first child was born. Realized it was not all about me any more.

                          Have always maintained a normal weight. Hit 40 and my body went berzerk. Got teenage acne, undiagnosed rapid heart rate went out of control (PSVT) and my waist disappeared. I weigh within 5lbs range for the past 25 years but clothes fit differently. Most probably understand! Low level depression has dogged me since childhood, but I manage it with diet/exercise/luck. Sugar is my downfall. I don't miss bread at all on the Paleo diet.

                          Typical diet for past 7 weeks: skip breakfast but drink decaf coffee with either ghee or coconut oil. Lunch is some type of salad with avocado or bacon or leftover meat. Handfuls of nuts or trail mix in afternoon with regular additions of dark chocolate (70% and higher). Little to no fruit; typically dried fruit added to salad. I always keep a Primal Pac in my bag for emergencies. Dinner is lots of roasted or sauteed vegetables with red meat, pork or salmon. Not a fan of chicken, but trying to work on that. I do not count carbs, but thinking I should start. I rarely drink alcohol. If I do, I love tequila.

                          My goal is not to lose weight, but to gain lean muscle. To this date, I have not lost a pound. To be honest, I feel like my ideal weight is around 3-5lbs less than what I weigh, but I have had weekly 'bad days' with too much chocolate or just eating way too much protein/fat. I can polish off a 16oz steak without a problem. I also snack too much. LOVE nut butters and coconut.

                          I exercise regularly: 4-6 days/week. Do interval training with friends. I vainly try to keep up with the 30 somethings, and sometimes succeed. I look forward to the day where calories don't leap into my brain while eating, but for now I am still plagued by old habits. Baby steps.
                          sigpic
                          Age 48
                          Start date: 7-5-12
                          5'3"
                          121lbs
                          GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100


                          "In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                          Henri Frederic Amiel

                          Comment


                          • PHaselow - OMG, there is a siggy to aspire to: "BACK PAIN FREEEEEEEEE since living the PB (mild scoliosis)"

                            Tell me how you do it? Do you think its all diet and lifestyle or is there something else? I neeeeeeed to know, my scoli has been bugging me something major for the last few weeks and I'm going nuts! Osteopath and Krill oil have helped lots, but I'm still really sore.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
                              So I think this is fun. The guys usually butt in and offer unwanted advice. Not really, but this is still fun.

                              Moi: I'm 47- married for 18 yrs/together 25 yrs. Three children: 15, 14, 11. Boys on both ends; youngest child has Autism. Stress from that issue alone has messed with my body. Marriage is on the rocks right now, which only adds to it. Baby steps.
                              Welcome! There's lot of great support and encouragement here! And it looks like you've already got one person looking to you for a little advice! Stick around --- the subject on this thread is constantly changing -- but its all about us ladies!
                              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion
                              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lizzielou View Post
                                PHaselow - OMG, there is a siggy to aspire to: "BACK PAIN FREEEEEEEEE since living the PB (mild scoliosis)"

                                Tell me how you do it? Do you think its all diet and lifestyle or is there something else? I neeeeeeed to know, my scoli has been bugging me something major for the last few weeks and I'm going nuts! Osteopath and Krill oil have helped lots, but I'm still really sore.
                                I believe the inflammatory response from some non PB foods was the culprit, plus the fact that I was started back at my cross fit classes after a 5 month absence due to illness/injury. Core strengthening is very important! Chiropractic adjustments and massages seem to have a lasting effect now. I am going to blame sugar and (all)grains for now, since that is what I eliminated or reduced greatly since going PB.

                                I have an "S" curve that starts in my mid-back and ends in my low, low back. Today I do feel some extra pulling of my muscles to the right where my curve goes, but that might be due to camping/air travel for 5 days last week. I was unlucky enough to have chosen non-reclining seats TWICE on the plane for 3 hr flights. Ugh. I need a massage!

                                Core exercises! Anti-inflammatory foods. Continued chiropractic care. All good for this girl's back FINALLY!!!! I wish you relief. My biggest fear is having to put on a shiny track suit and becoming a mall walker due to my back issues. I will fight that one to the death!
                                sigpic
                                Age 48
                                Start date: 7-5-12
                                5'3"
                                121lbs
                                GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100


                                "In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                                Henri Frederic Amiel

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X