No announcement yet.

She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about 3 weeks ago i started taking a chinese herb called dong quai, also known as the "female ginseng." after trying various cw approaches to dealing with age-appropriate hormonal changes and an angry uterus i fired my doctor and fired up some serious google-fu. dong quai seemed the herb most compatible to alleviate mys symptoms.

i was prepared to wait months to see results. within days, the cramping was gone and the bloating/swelling much better. yeah for me.

but the unexpected result is that my hair is thicker and longer than it has been in years! it's curly so tends to break on the ends right about when it hits my shoulders. it has only gotten "that" long for decades, no matter how long i go between haircuts or how carefully i deal with it.

within a week of taking this supp i could feel the change and now my hair actually feels heavy, lol.

just did some googling and this is a traditional indian and asian supp for female hair loss! well then.

a happy coincidence for sure.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      Not that I want to discourage your good advice, but is this really true? I reached my full adult height by age 13. Staggering height of 5'3", I know, but I never grew anymore ever again, except for outward.
      Actually you can stop growing in height - but your bones don't stop growing and "hardening" until sometimes into the the 20's. They can estimate the age of a skeleton by examining the growth plates of the large leg bones. When the growth plate is completely formed they know the person has reached adulthood, and would be appr. 18 - 20 years old. I grew 1.5 inches during my 21st year. Went from 5'2" to 5'3.5" in that one year! There are always outlyers - you and I would both fall outside the "norm".
      Last edited by tomi; 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by cinico View Post
        Hey new here to this forum although I have been creeping around for a while!! I am on week four or so of going primal again!

I have lost 3-4 pounds but most of that came off during the third week! I am still fine tuning here and there to see what foods help me or not! I love to workout!! I do two days of strength and two days of running, one day of sprints or a brief HiIt video!

I do have a question, do you guys track your calories? I have been ranging around the 1500 mark but I wonder if I need to eat more to sustain my workouts?

Thanks
        I am a recovering obsessive Calorie-counter, and although as recently as last Friday I was counting Calories still, I'm stopping because mentally it's not good for me. I was barely eating 1300/day (mind you, I run about 15 miles per week and do strength-training 4 times per week) and found myself desperate in the evenings to the point of eating an avocado just to get my Calories to get to a somewhat reasonable level. I'm starting to see the signs of obsession again, so I've decided to stop as of this past Saturday. [When I was trying to lose weight using the old "calories in/calories out, everything in moderation, low fat" method, I was obsessed with eating as little as possible (no more than 1250/day). Although this time around it's the opposite (trying to eat more, rather than less), I'm focusing too much on the numbers and not my natural hunger cues.]

Sorry for the babbling... I tend to do that... but anyway - If you don't have an addictive personality, go ahead and count Calories. But, ask yourself why you need to in the first place before you get into it.
        >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
        >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
        >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

• I count - but I'm not completely anal about it. I do it to keep myself honest about exactly what I'm putting in my mouth. I also don't count every single day. I tend to eat about the same amount of food every day.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion
          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by cadamsgis View Post
            I installed by new pull up bar today - I had intitally thought to just wait til by husband got home but then I thought a she-grok would just install it herself. So I did. Now if only I could actually pull myself up. One step at a time ladies - one step at a time.

I'm on day 4 of PB.
            Take a look at Convict Calisthenics to help you with your pullups - he does a fantastic job of taking you through the steps to get there. Good Luck!
            Height - 5'8"
            SW - 191
            CW - 162
            GW - 155

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

Not that I want to discourage your good advice, but is this really true? I reached my full adult height by age 13. Staggering height of 5'3", I know, but I never grew anymore ever again, except for outward.
              Your n=1 doesn't apply to everyone. I stopped growing at around the age of 14 to 5'3", and grew an additional inch when I was 19, to 5'4". I may be an outlier, but hey, so can she.
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Hey, I was just curious because it seemed odd to me that anyone female could expect to change beyond a year or two after puberty. I know for men it's pretty common but I can't remember a single girl in school who grew in height after their mid-teens. Anybody I knew who was tall was towering over all the boys by age 14 and anybody I knew that was short stayed that way.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Hey, I was just curious because it seemed odd to me that anyone female could expect to change beyond a year or two after puberty. I know for men it's pretty common but I can't remember a single girl in school who grew in height after their mid-teens. Anybody I knew who was tall was towering over all the boys by age 14 and anybody I knew that was short stayed that way.
                  Interesting. I hit puberty at 10 though and grew an additional inch in college. So many variables!

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                    I count - but I'm not completely anal about it. I do it to keep myself honest about exactly what I'm putting in my mouth. I also don't count every single day. I tend to eat about the same amount of food every day.
                    Question: have any of you figured out what the calorie "sweet spot" for weight loss is? I downloaded an app to track what I eat, and my average over two weeks is 1609 calories: 104g fat, 81g carb, 84g protein. Supposedly this is a significant deficit for a 31yo, 5'9" female who is "low active" (desk job, but have a standing desk). Not seeing the scale or measurements budge though! I'm not cheating and eating any sweets/desserts either, so I'm kind of at a loss.

Comment

Hey, I was just curious because it seemed odd to me that anyone female could expect to change beyond a year or two after puberty. I know for men it's pretty common but I can't remember a single girl in school who grew in height after their mid-teens. Anybody I knew who was tall was towering over all the boys by age 14 and anybody I knew that was short stayed that way.
                      I reached my full 5'10" by the age of 12. Then filled in sideways later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        I reached my full 5'10" by the age of 12. Then filled in sideways later.
                        I got to 5'8" by the time I was 13, then added one more inch by the time I was 16. And my weight is the same now as it was when I was 13! It's gone up and down by 10 lbs though, at different points.

Comment

• I hit 5'2" at age 11 and am still the same height; and I weigh about what I did then, too.

Another 2 inches in height would be really nice... I could reach the stuff on the middle shelves in my kitchen. *sigh*

Comment

• I remember these fraternal twins in school. At 14 years old, the girl was over 6' tall and the boy was still just a little boy. It was strange to see them walking around knowing that they were twins.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I remember these fraternal twins in school. At 14 years old, the girl was over 6' tall and the boy was still just a little boy. It was strange to see them walking around knowing that they were twins.
                              I have fraternal twins that are both boys who are 13 years old. The shorter one is know quite a bit taller than the so called tall one. He went through his growth spurt early. Needless to say the other one is sweating it till he can reach his brother. They both are interested in drinking bone broth since I told them I read Deep Nutrition where it might help. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by KimInGA View Post
                                Question: have any of you figured out what the calorie "sweet spot" for weight loss is? I downloaded an app to track what I eat, and my average over two weeks is 1609 calories: 104g fat, 81g carb, 84g protein. Supposedly this is a significant deficit for a 31yo, 5'9" female who is "low active" (desk job, but have a standing desk). Not seeing the scale or measurements budge though! I'm not cheating and eating any sweets/desserts either, so I'm kind of at a loss.
                                have you tried reducing carbs further? i would not lose eating that many.

are you eating lots of nuts or dairy?

i don't think standing burns all that many more calories than sitting, i could be wrong though.

everybody has a different sweet spot, sorry.
                                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                                X