Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hi ladies I have a question I want to throw out there. I am looking for a protein powder to pump up our smoothies. My issue is two of my children are allergic to cow's milk protein thus whey is out. They are also sensitive to soy and it wouldn't be my first choice for teenage boys to drink regularly anyway. I have seen rice protein and I was wondering if any of you have a preference of proteins? Obviously I also want it to taste good and be smooth in the drink otherwise the boys will not drink it.
    I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
    HT: 5'7"
    SW: 223 June 2012
    CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
    TWL2D: 32 lbs

    Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

    Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

    Comment


    • Oh! This thread exists! That's great... I'll be scouring and coming back with some awkward questions later =)

      Comment


      • Originally posted by primal me View Post
        Hi ladies I have a question I want to throw out there. I am looking for a protein powder to pump up our smoothies. My issue is two of my children are allergic to cow's milk protein thus whey is out. They are also sensitive to soy and it wouldn't be my first choice for teenage boys to drink regularly anyway. I have seen rice protein and I was wondering if any of you have a preference of proteins? Obviously I also want it to taste good and be smooth in the drink otherwise the boys will not drink it.
        try Vega One

        Vegan Protein Powder - Vega One Shake
        it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live

        at just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up

        Comment


        • Incase you didn't see it, here's a post Mark did (admittedly over 2 years ago) about the various protein powders.

          Whey, Casein, Egg White, Pea, Rice and Hemp Protein Powder Analysis | Mark's Daily Apple

          My friend gave me a powder that has hemp, pea, and brown rice for the protein. When I can't afford to buy whey protein isolate I do use it though I wish it didn't have the brown rice protein. Oh well.

          Hope Mark's article helps.
          SW: 243
          CW: 177
          Goal: Health

          Comment


          • Looking for input on clothes. My waist is finally shrinking and now my clothes just hang on me. I have a large chest, 36H, so clothes don't seem to fit right. They're either too short as I don't like to show my tummy, or fit big so I look fatter than I am. Anyone found a brand that isn't $$ that fits well? I'm considering buyin "tall" shirts, but I worry the sleeves will fit funny then.

            Comment


            • Teach2183,

              You could try belting in with various large, small belts. That or having clothes alternated would probably be the best bet. But sometimes you can find clothes that are made with a smaller waist, I don't remember any one brand though.

              One option if the shirt is too short is layering a longer tank under it, you see that in some of the magazines.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jesssa View Post
                Thanks very much! I think I found a couple possible protein powders at Superstore that are similar if not the same one. Both had vega or vegan in the name
                I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
                HT: 5'7"
                SW: 223 June 2012
                CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
                TWL2D: 32 lbs

                Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

                Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by cavequeen View Post
                  Teach2183,

                  You could try belting in with various large, small belts. That or having clothes alternated would probably be the best bet. But sometimes you can find clothes that are made with a smaller waist, I don't remember any one brand though.

                  One option if the shirt is too short is layering a longer tank under it, you see that in some of the magazines.
                  Dr. Oz was showing these fake cami bottoms that would work without adding any bulk up top! I've seen them in some stores but can I remember where right now? Of course not!
                  I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
                  HT: 5'7"
                  SW: 223 June 2012
                  CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
                  TWL2D: 32 lbs

                  Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

                  Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by primal me View Post
                    Hi ladies I have a question I want to throw out there. I am looking for a protein powder to pump up our smoothies.*
                    can't you just whizz some raw egg yolks in there? i have raw yolks in yogurt often and they have no discernible flavor in there.
                    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

                    Ernest Hemingway

                    Comment


                    • What about goats milk whey protein powder? I've read that lots of people can tolerate goats milk where they cannot tolerate cows milk. Googling that got some hits. I live in Wisconsin and can find Tera's Whey (some products are cows milk whey, some are goats milk whey) on the store shelves, but it looks like it can be ordered too. Other brands could be found by a Google too, so I leave it to you to look over. In the Tera's Whey product line, the goats milk whey is definitely more expensive than the cows milk, though.

                      Comment


                      • Hey all thanks for the advice.

                        Noodletoy the idea of raw egg whites didn't quite do it for me but it triggered a vague memory of powdered egg protein from my health food days so I'm going to look into that.

                        Jodis the boys do eat goat cheese so I will look into a whey powder made from that. I have a feeling it might be harder to find here in Alberta. We can get a goat yogurt that can be whipped into the smoothies. For the summer though we've been using Rice Dream ice cream for the boys and frozen yogurt for us. This adds a bit of sugar but helps keep things cold and smooth.
                        I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
                        HT: 5'7"
                        SW: 223 June 2012
                        CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
                        TWL2D: 32 lbs

                        Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

                        Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by primal me View Post
                          Hey all thanks for the advice.

                          Noodletoy the idea of raw egg whites didn't quite do it for me but it triggered a vague memory of powdered egg protein from my health food days so I'm going to look into that.

                          Jodis the boys do eat goat cheese so I will look into a whey powder made from that. I have a feeling it might be harder to find here in Alberta. We can get a goat yogurt that can be whipped into the smoothies. For the summer though we've been using Rice Dream ice cream for the boys and frozen yogurt for us. This adds a bit of sugar but helps keep things cold and smooth.
                          If you're not opposed to ordering online (and if it's possible to have them ship from Canada), I like truenutrition.com for protein powder. They allow you to make a customized protein mix (when I was using protein powders, I would do a mix of whey and egg whites). Perhaps another option?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                            Looking for input on clothes. My waist is finally shrinking and now my clothes just hang on me. I have a large chest, 36H, so clothes don't seem to fit right. They're either too short as I don't like to show my tummy, or fit big so I look fatter than I am. Anyone found a brand that isn't $$ that fits well? I'm considering buyin "tall" shirts, but I worry the sleeves will fit funny then.
                            I'm small-chested so this might not work for you, but I really like the length of the shirts at Target and Gap. I'd also recommend you try shopping at junior's stores. Since their shirts tend to run long and tight, and juniors tend to be lacking in the top half, if you buy buy a shirt big enough for your boobs you'll probably end up with a shirt that shows off your figure without being too clingy or short. That could fail miserably... but it also might work awesomely.. so try it!

                            Comment


                            • Holy crap, I fell off the wagon hard due to some unfortunate circumstances (including working 90+ hours a week for 2 months), put on a few pounds - enough that it affects my athletic performance and clothing choices - and I can't seem to get back in the zone. I've improved my eating compared to how it was a month ago, but am still having issues sticking to primal and most of the extra weight is still on me. Any tips for getting motivated with eating?

                              Comment


                              • Eat naked in front of a mirror. (Don't cook naked in case something splashes.)

                                If you have a favorite pair of "skinny jeans," try them on before you eat something foolish.

                                Advice a very smart doctor once gave me (although it was about excessived drinking/partying) - be your own parent/best friend. What advice would you give yourself?

                                Do it one day at a time. Don't think about not eating X food forever. Just don't eat it today. Do that again tomorrow.

                                Good luck!
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                                B*tch-lite

                                Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X