No announcement yet.

She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks KerryK! He's the best dog and I was feeling so guilty last night I sat and cried while holding his paw. What a sap.

Yeah, the yogurt was hubby's idea. It was one of the self serve places that you can add your own toppings. Let me say DANGEROUS!!! I didn't overdo it and I actually didn't even finish all of mine, my husband did. Guess I'll chalk that up as a win.

I see you're in NY, so I'm sure it's hot. I'd avoid the kitchen too! Seems like everywhere is having a heat wave. My family is in PA and mom said it was 98 today. I head back Tuesday for a visit and I'm afraid I've adjusted to the CA weather and I'm going to melt in the heat and humidity! Don't think about ice cream too much!

Comment

• OMGosh, these bear pictures are FABULOUS. Thank you. And thank you for the link, I'm enjoying your photos immensely.
      Last edited by KerryK; 06-28-2012, 08:20 PM.
      SW: 243
      CW: 177
      Goal: Health

Comment

• sbhikes, I have to say I am so impressed with your hiking! What an experience! I love the pictures.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sihana
          Before we completely leave the subject of clothes, what brands besides Columbia & Carhartt make outdoorsy-type clothing? I can start buying my final-sized shirts, and am trying to get used to all these possible name brands. :S
          I got almost all my gear for Kilimangaro at REI.com

Comment

• Originally posted by KerryK View Post
            OMGosh, these bear pictures are FABULOUS. Thank you. And thank you for the link, I'm enjoying your photos immensely.
            Cute teddy bears............not. I saw a grizzly up close in yellowstone but I was too busy clamping my hand around my dog's muzzle to get a picture. Not sure if my dog would be stupid enough to take on a grizzly but I didn't want to find out.

Comment

• Me too -- give it up, girl!
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion
              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by Sihana
                I assume the clothes held up well? Will be going to the local REI soon to see what they got.
                They have very high quality standards and they stand behind their stuff too. They will take something back with no fuss if there is a problem.
                For Kili I had to gear up for blazing hot savannah, rain forrest, then freezing cold summit as you go up in altitude. REI had everything I needed.

Comment

• Wanted to pop in and share an embarrassing moment which had me laughing. My 9 yr old and I are trying to do at least 1-2 hours a day slow moving together. We took our bikes to a trail in blue mountain that was graded 'easy' on a biking website and OMG, it was a mountain trail.
                  Yeah, i am not even going to try mountain biking. Heck, I don't even like regural biking! But I got in-line skates just before I injured my toe a few weeks back, and now the toe is healed, AND my 5.5 yo came back from school raving about trying in-line skating as a part of their school gym, so we are buying her skates tomorrow, and going to the park to learn together. She thinks she is going to teach me. I just hope to remember that I can't push off the toe the way I do on normal skates (figure skates). Oh, well, we'll pack in-laws and a picnic, and who knows....
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Grizzly != black bear. I saw no grizzlies the entire trip.

As for clothes that hold up well, I still wear a lot of the clothes I wore on the Pacific Crest Trail, although they are somewhat stained. Brands I like:
                    Columbia
                    Ex-officio
                    Patagonia
                    Rail Riders
                    Champion
                    Anything from a thrift store!

Many clothes sold are made by the same factories and then they just put a label on them. I realized this when I saw my Patagonia pants in something like a J Jill catalog with the J Jill name. Exact same pants and unusual enough that there's no way they could have been knock-offs. So you have to look for the special fancy fabrics if you want honest-to-goodness fancy-schmancy stuff. Like the Dry-fli-light fabric or however Ex-officio spells that, although that fabric tears easily.

I find good enough stuff at outlets and places like Sports Authority, but the REI return policy is nice.

Don't be afraid to try on the men's stuff, too. I find I fit men's pants better than women's ones. They seem to want to cut women's sports clothing in fashion cuts rather than in cuts that let your body move and give you good pockets. I like pants I can step over logs in and carry stuff in the pockets without losing things on the trail.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Don't be afraid to try on the men's stuff, too. I find I fit men's pants better than women's ones. They seem to want to cut women's sports clothing in fashion cuts rather than in cuts that let your body move and give you good pockets. I like pants I can step over logs in and carry stuff in the pockets without losing things on the trail.
                      Seriously on the men's stuff thing.

Maybe it's because I buy specialty fishing gear/clothing because I kayak and ocean flats fish here in FL which for me means full coverage clothing (honestly for most reasonable anglers/guides it means full coverage clothing).
                      The ultra-light, high SPF, pants and shirts made for women just do not match up!
                      They seem to be made more for fashion than actual utility.
                      So... I shop in the men's section.
                      I really don't care if they don't outline my tush perfectly while landing Reds either...
                      (Well... when I fished... haven't been to the coast in a while due to circumstances.)
                      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Just got back from the doctor and am quite frustrated. Except for 3-4 days, I have been exhausted since the end of May. I've been getting 9-10hrs of sleep at night and needing a 1-2hr nap every day. He's running a thyroid test and other general bloodwork. But commented that TSH is a better indicator for hypothyroidism than T3/4. Everything I read says the opposite. So I think that if the tests come back low it will be an uphill battle. I love my gynecologist but he won't help with the fatigue. Just don't know where to go or what to do at this point. But I will be working 2 part time jobs in the fall (plus SAH with 2yo and 4yo) and need my energy back!

Comment

• Teach - if you can't get the results you want with this doc - find another one. They're everywhere! Ask friends and family or people you work with for recommendations. If you're having energy problems your best bet is to see an Endocrinologist. The sooner the better cuz these things take time and patience to correct. I just started taking Armour Thyroid and my doc said it will take 8 weeks just to see the results of the first level of the med. If I need more we'll titrate up slowly........ so I'm looking at possibly a year to get to where I feel I should be energy wise.

Good luck.........
                          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion
                          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I totally agree with trying out the men's stuff.

I don't technically "hike" per se, but I walk outdoors a lot for my work, usually over pavement, gravel, landscape rock, grass, desert dirt, clay and mud. I have to wear ankle high hiking boots because it's an OSHA requirement (so I don't turn my ankle) and it really sucks to step on a nail in running shoes.

I have been buying men's hiking boots for more than 4 years now, and I have to buy a new pair every 3 or 4 months (probably sooner but I'm cheap). The men's boots are just put together better, I have no idea why, and they have more room in the toe box. Plus they're just wider all over, which is great after a long day.

Before I stopped wearing shorts for work, I was totally addicted to the men's cargo shorts at Target. Simple, cheap, sturdy, lots of pockets, decent belt loops and they didn't creep up like women's "pretty" shorts did.
                            Durp.

Comment

• You know, I have to admit I went to K-mart the other day and thought some of their men's boots were just as good as anything you could get at REI. I've also got to admit that I've admired the painter's pants and cargo pants at OSH.

One thing I love about my new men's hiking pants is how the front pocket go so far down my thighs I can almost not reach the bottom. There's a little secret pocket at the bottom of the pocket, too. I'd never seen anything like that. Of course all the men are like, duh, don't all pants have that?

The best thing is the waist is small and the thighs are large. The women's models had the waist HUGE so the whole world can see right down your crack, and the legs SO THIN. Why do they totally have this backwards????
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• When I first started riding motorcycles, finding GOOD women's gear that would PROTECT ME IN AN UNPLANNED GETOFF, was practically impossible. It was all fringe and rose appliques. Ridiculous. None of it was worth a damn. I bought men's stuff and while it didn't FIT worth a damn, at least it would prevent injury. These days, things are better, but woah, for a while there it was major suckage.
                                5' 9" 47 YO F
                                PB start June 2, 2012
                                Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                                Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X