No announcement yet.

She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, I see. I thought the whole refeed thing was bingeing on pounds of sweet potatos, not just a couple of pieces of sushi and a sip of hot chocolate.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

no, it's basically anything out of your norm that would be "carb heavy." And, it doesn't have to be a massive binge.

in my case, refeeds are mostly rice (1/2 cup cooked or less in sushi, etc) or sweet potato (1/2 med-large sized). It's not much, you know? but it bumps up the calories and the carbs, and seems to reset my system nicely. I'll do this for three or four weeks (once a week), and then have 6 or 8 weeks without anything -- maybe more.

it's a nice little cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        Ah, I see. I thought the whole refeed thing was bingeing on pounds of sweet potatos, not just a couple of pieces of sushi and a sip of hot chocolate.
        The massive sweet potato pig out is another one of the things that works for the "dude bros" as Northern Monkey Girl called them. I find that just a random potato or parsnip or winter squash here and there works well (or sushi). It doesn't have to be a set schedule.

Comment

I wonder whether just changing your food for a period, e.g. a week, can shake things up a bit. I've found several times when I've been on holiday I have lost weight, or lose it shortly after I return. Might be higher carbs, or might just be different food. Seth Roberts, who wrote the Shangri La diet, talks about this. Worth a read, although I didn't really want to drink olive oil or nose clip, so I didn't go further into it. Seems to work for some though.

From Wikipedia...

Roberts' diet is based on the fundamental principle of a set point – the weight which, according to Roberts, a person's brain strives to maintain. When actual weight is below the set point, appetite increases; when actual weight is above the set point, appetite decreases. Furthermore, eating certain foods can raise or lower the set point. Foods that have a strong flavor-calorie relationship (such as fast food or donuts) raise the set point, whereas bland foods which are slowly digested (like extra light olive oil or fructose mixed with water) lower the set point. Roberts states that the diet is based upon connecting two unconnected fields: weight control and associative learning. Because of this, the research behind the diet is from multiple fields, ranging from Pavlovian psychology to physiology to rat psychology.[2][6][7][8]
          [edit]

On the issue of carbs, I found that after a year of low carb I had difficulty getting to sleep, reduced temperature (I felt cold more often) and I started to gain weight. Upping my carbs fixed this. I'm still low carb, but introduce regular carb ups, usually linking them to meals out or parties etc.
          My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Originally posted by katiedid View Post
            i'm 30 and 5'8'', no health issues, no meds. I started primal in June and weighed 195. Now, it's December and I'm still weighing in at 190! I started Crossfit two months ago, and have definitley lost inches, and have gone down one size. People have commented to me how I look like I've lost weight, but since it's only 5 lbs, it's somewhat depressing.

I know I can't be concerned about the scale... but 190? I totally understand hovering around the 150-160 range. But you'd think that since I have so much to lose, that I would have lost a little more by now.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this type of experience? I track my food for historical purposes, not to limit any certain intake... so I know I'm averaging about 1600-1700 calories and about 75 carbs on a daily basis. I eat over 100g protein daily. My ratios seem spot on. I DO have the occasional 1000 calorie day where I IF through dinner and the occasional 2000+ day where I have sweet potatoes, etc...

I'm wondering if I need to look at calorie restriction as a way to get some of the weight off? I'm pretty strong and muscular (underneath all this fat!), so my ideal weight is about 155. I KNOW I will get there... my question is, how long will it take? UGH!
            Hi Katiedid-

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 5'10, 185. I've been at this weight since July, after an initial loss of 6 pounds. I feel like I'm getting stronger, but there has been no weight loss since then. Unfortunately, this means that I can't really offer any advice on how to change things. I'm just chiming in so that you know you're not the only one. However if you find anything, let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
              The massive sweet potato pig out is another one of the things that works for the "dude bros" as Northern Monkey Girl called them. I find that just a random potato or parsnip or winter squash here and there works well (or sushi). It doesn't have to be a set schedule.
              That's why I'm appreciating this thread. The dude bros were at it again in another thread I read today. 1200 grams of carbs on one guy's carb refeed schedule! A 40lb box in preparation for another guy's carb refeed plan. Good lord!

If I ate a little extra carbs once a week it would make The Man happy. He could make Indian food and I could go easy on the rice, dal and chana masala but not frustrate him by turning it down. I'm not totally convinced beans are the devil anyway, especially when steak and eggs form the better part of my diet.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

i think the occasional indian is not a problem. indian food is tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by jo View Post
                  I wonder whether just changing your food for a period, e.g. a week, can shake things up a bit. I've found several times when I've been on holiday I have lost weight, or lose it shortly after I return. Might be higher carbs, or might just be different food.
                  I think there is definitely something to be said for just shaking things up a bit and not letting your dietary regimens become ruts. I seem to go through phases where I go ultra low carb and then suddenly carbs appeal again. Sometimes I go more with lean high protein and sometimes more fat calls to me. Sometimes I eat all seafood for a week and then nothing but red meat for a while. I am trying to listen to these urgings from my body. (Caveat: "listening to your body" is NOT a good idea if your body is still lying to you and telling you to eat cookies, it really needs cookies. I have been at this a while and am trying to let my body guide me to what it needs.)

Comment

Any one else have cravings for sweets around ovulation time? I just had some chocolate peanut butter fudge. Way too sweet for my tastes anymore, but part of me really wanted it. Stupid hormones! I definitely should have bought a less-full package, because I have half left over....

Comment

I don't crave sweets but salty (preferably crunchy) foods. My go to was salt and vinegar chips - YUM! I'm reduced to pork rinds now.

Comment

During my period, I realized that my sweets cravings were more for something savory (dark chocolate) and fatty. A spoonful or two of almond butter suits me fine unless I'm feeling weak-willed, then I'll go out for some 90% dark chocolate.

What are your go-to remedies for yeast infections? I've been taking acidophilus and my last antibiotic was taken last night (for a sinus infection that I don't have). I take this OTC stuff called AZO Yeast. It feels better today (just mildly itchy instead of painfully itchy, so it might be on its way out after three or so very uncomfortable days. Not sure if I should bother keeping my doctor's appointment tomorrow.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          What are your go-to remedies for yeast infections? I've been taking acidophilus and my last antibiotic was taken last night (for a sinus infection that I don't have). I take this OTC stuff called AZO Yeast. It feels better today (just mildly itchy instead of painfully itchy, so it might be on its way out after three or so very uncomfortable days. Not sure if I should bother keeping my doctor's appointment tomorrow.
                          TMI INC!!!! You have been warned.

Im dealing with one right now, as a matter of fact. I thought that being so low carb would help protect me from them, but there was an unfortunate instance this weekend of using a homemade sugar scrub in the shower and then my male shower-partner deciding to get a little...handsy...

...anyway...

I rarely get yeast infections even at the worst of times, but whenever I do I need to go full Shock and Awe. I put acidophillus pills up there as a suppository (actually lately ive been using a multiple-strain probiotic powder for my probiotics, since acidophillus isnt the only thing we need, and ive been trying that instead). I eat garlic and even sometimes take garlic supplement pills.

I usually start my assault with these methods the minute I feel myself getting a little "not so fresh." Sadly, if they dont work and a full-blown YI erupts, then most of the time I am also relegated to taking a diflurcan pill. My doctor was cool enough to give me a refillable prescription so i dont have to go through the hassle of driving down to see him so he can take a look and go, "Yep. Yeast." I dont really do over the counter creams anymore because theyve never worked for me, so I see no reason in sticking chemicals up the ho-ha.

Also note that once your period rolls around, that really helps reset things. Luckily mine just started so thats my fourth method of attack at the moment. (Problem is, of course, that if you have a YI you shouldnt wear tampons, and right now my periods are ZOMG HEAVY because I got an IUD a few months ago. So I've been joking lately that right now my vajayjay is like the DMZ.)
                          "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            During my period, I realized that my sweets cravings were more for something savory (dark chocolate) and fatty. A spoonful or two of almond butter suits me fine unless I'm feeling weak-willed, then I'll go out for some 90% dark chocolate.

I think I posted on a different thread yesterday regarding yeast infections. Insert a clove of raw garlic. If you're worried that you won't be able to remove it easily tie a string around the clove. Do it twice a day and you should be feeling better in 48 hrs. You'll also smell like you've been eating raw garlic. Garlic is very anti microbial, it will take care of yeast and bacterial vaginosis.

Comment

I'll stick most things up there (uuhh...well, you know what I mean...right? I mean I'm willing to try putting my acidophillus up there) but garlic creeps me out haha! I've seen that "home remedy" supported and refuted in a lot of places so let's just say I'm skeptical. As it stands, I have no garlic in the house. I shall remedy that for the eventual future yeast infection that occurs (hopefully not anytime soon). I definitely cannot go to work smelling like garlic though.

Does the acidophillus dissolve...? And if so, how long does it take? Just wanna make sure my man doesn't go spelunking and end up powdery fresh. Obviously sex is not a great idea when trying to fix the cooch flora, but sometimes urges must be met Uncephalized recommended something like "Fem Dophilus" that his GF uses, and I'm pretty sure Whole Foods carries it. I totally forgot until recently that my gyn had previously suggested (when I was having constant YIs almost 2 yrs ago) that I might need to use something like that, a vaginal suppository, to replenish the vaginal flora. It really creeped me out at the time, but now I have no issue with the concept.

I'm just glad I'm not on the rag. Yeast infections plus bleeding = teh suck. I've found that cloth pads are not only more cozy and less diaper-like, they help me air out quite a bit more than a traditional disposable pad (and obviously more than a tampon).

I'm loving all the vaginal slang that just erupted all over here. hahaha
                              Depression Lies

Comment

If you're getting repeat yeast infections you should make sure you're not getting the yeast from your partner. If he has any red patches, sores or jock itch, he should be treating it too. Condom is a must too since you'll just be passing infection to each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X