No announcement yet.

She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will have my cholesterol checked at the end of June. I went off the statins in December. I had my levels checked in May, LDL's are high, HDL's are high (which is good) and triglycerides are low (also good). Dr. prescribed statins again and wants to check my levels again end of June. I did not fill the prescription -- showdown time with Dr in the future. I agree, not enough proof that they work for women. I probably know more about cholesterol than my dr. LOL. Statins are bad. Wish I knew that before blindly taking them for so many years. Oh well, just go forward.
    Last edited by lil old paleo me; 06-04-2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
      You've misunderstood the mindset completely. I've not seen any women complain of oppression on his site. Unless you're talking about discussion of the greater social pressures on women to make themselves unnaturally lean, but there's relatively little talk about that.

The point is that pretty much any health guidelines need to be honed for men and for women due to the biological differences, and that's what's being eeked out here. Age is another important factor, and sometimes ethnicity.
      that hh22166 I think is a spammer. So I would pay too much attention to it or him or her - i reported the post because if you go to view all posts there is an address attached to almost all of them that you can't see in the forum it's invisible some kind way for him to attached a free advertising onto his/her/it's posts.
      I think this thread is a great value of information Thank you

Comment

• @lil old paleo me - I too was slave to statins for 30 years. I was diagnosed at 30 with high cholesterol, and not knowing any better followed the docs recommendation to start taking the statins. Once I found this way of eating, I went off, and even at the strong recommendation of my doctor I did not go back on them. I will be having my cholesterol checked at the end of this week, so we'll see whats up. No heart disease in my family, but no known high cholesterol either. Just me.

I sorta figured you were up on everything MS, but thought I'd throw it out just in case. Eating primal (although I think I'm closer to paleo, since I very rarely do dairy) has practically eliminated my fibromyalgia pain and fatigue. I can always tell when I have a grain product cuz the pain returns within hours of eating.

Glad you're here.
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I'm constantly posting this, but it's especially applicable here in a women's thread:

Is the use of cholesterol in mortality ris... [J Eval Clin Pract. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

It basically says that higher total cholesteral in women is inversely proportional to mortality. In other words, the lower your total cholesterol, the more likely you are to keel over. Higher total cholesterol and you might live a little longer.

In men, it's more of a U-shaped curve with a sweet spot in the middle, but for women, it's a straight line.

I told my mom about the study (she's been taking statins since they came out) and she replied "All I know is my cholesterol is good and low!"

Um... okay.
          Durp.

Comment

• Thanks, RitaRose -- I think they are starting to realize this in mainstream medicine - but its likely to take many years before they stop pushing statins on when. I watched a documentary over the weekend with my son - its called Fathead. Its very good! I'm gonna try to get hubby to watch it with me. It is basically a documentary in favor of paleo/primal eating - and it also discusses the cholesterol issue with women.

I'm off statins and never going back on!
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Fat Head - Blog site for the comedy-documentary Fat Head

watch it.......... he's funny and smart!
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                Fat Head - Blog site for the comedy-documentary Fat Head

You might also be interested in this one:
                Fat Head Video of the “Big Fat Fiasco” Speech

It is basically the second half of Fathead (minus all the refuting the other guy's movie stuff) and then expanded on just that part in a lecture format. It is still entertaining to watch and I have found it useful in getting Primal concepts across to people with thickly coated CW skulls.

Comment

• have you ever talked to a doctor about having your testosterone checked? Could be out of whack and causing the extra body hair. I have found as I've gotten older that my body hair is both thinning in its individual hair thickness - and the amount I have on my body. I have to look really hard to find any hairs on my forearms now, and the leg hair is pretty sparse also. However, I've never really had a problem with it - blonde and fair skinned, so not a whole lot of body hair. Do some research on testosterone in women. Never know?
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by Sihana
                    Since the hair thread went bye-bye, I wanted to ask what most of you do in regards to excess body hair? I have really thick body hair, and go through razor blades too quickly. I tried an epilator, but half the time it could not pull the hair out of the root. I was thinking I either would have to try self-waxing, a cream, or waste a lot of time by plucking everything out. :S Any other ideas?
                    I used a TRIA home laser machine. They are a bit pricy but if you figure in the cost of razors, wax, etc, for the rest of your life, it might pay for itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      You might also be interested in this one:
                      Fat Head Video of the “Big Fat Fiasco” Speech

It is basically the second half of Fathead (minus all the refuting the other guy's movie stuff) and then expanded on just that part in a lecture format. It is still entertaining to watch and I have found it useful in getting Primal concepts across to people with thickly coated CW skulls.
                      *THICKLY COATED CW SKULLS* = my hubby! I'll look for that one too! thanks! Mind you - he will eat what I prepare at home, and loves it --- but will ask for goodies when the mood strikes - which makes me lose my resolve, and eat bad things!!!!
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

*THICKLY COATED CW SKULLS* = my hubby! I'll look for that one too! thanks! Mind you - he will eat what I prepare at home, and loves it --- but will ask for goodies when the mood strikes - which makes me lose my resolve, and eat bad things!!!!

No, no, no, Tomi. Careful there. Nothing is *making* you do anything. Having bad things around makes it easier to choose to cheat, but it's still a choice. Own the choice and you can make the change.

Didn't mean to scold. I just don't like people (particularly women) doing the helpless thing. We are stronger than that if we want to be.
                        Last edited by Paleobird; 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Fat Head - Blog site for the comedy-documentary Fat Head

Went to the website -- great stuff. CW has pushed statins for so long, it time to just say NO.

Comment

Mine is currently chowing down on a bag of Doritos. Oh but all that saturated fat I eat's gonna killz me.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Bacon-wrapped quails. A pretty brilliant idea on my part.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Paleobird;854557][/B]

No, no, no, Tomi. Careful there. Nothing is *making* you do anything. Having bad things around makes it easier to choose to cheat, but it's still a choice. Own the choice and you can make the change.[QUOTE]

Paleobird - you're totally right here! and I know it. I make the choice to put that stupid cookie in my mouth - he isn't forcing me to eat what he's eating. Thanks for the finger shake! I always welcome a little correction! Yesterday I started Whole30 --- so this will get me back on track and get the weight loss moving again!
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X