Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She-Groks Only.......... cuz it works different for us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    If a guy I was dating did that (any more than once in a blue moon) I would toss him back in the pond and keep fishing.
    I got an e-mail from him today saying he lost his phone and apologizing again for last night and saying he shouldn't have told me he'd come by when he didn't know when exactly he'd be done.


    SIGH

    Comment


    • Originally posted by EyeOfRound View Post
      I got an e-mail from him today saying he lost his phone and apologizing again for last night and saying he shouldn't have told me he'd come by when he didn't know when exactly he'd be done.


      SIGH
      I'd at least be looking through my tackle box to see that I'd like to tie on for casting into the pond next.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

      Comment


      • Tomorrow is a new day. Have to tell myself that. Ended an unintentional 24 hour fast yesterday at Soup Plantation, so salad, soup, a baked potato, and some ice cream. Today for lunch I did fine, but dinner was late after a run to the store and ended up being chicken strips, Doritos and dip. Followed quickly by a trip to the bathroom. It's awful when I don't plan and don't feel like preparing food. Add to that TOM and can you say it with me? UGH! I am struggling with everything right now. Energy, workouts, food. Just needed to vent.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by hh22166
          Again, most information on this site is for both men and women. I think you're exaggerating with your "we are being oppressed!" mindset. I've seen tons of threads dedicated to women, perhaps even more than for men.
          You've misunderstood the mindset completely. I've not seen any women complain of oppression on his site. Unless you're talking about discussion of the greater social pressures on women to make themselves unnaturally lean, but there's relatively little talk about that.

          The point is that pretty much any health guidelines need to be honed for men and for women due to the biological differences, and that's what's being eeked out here. Age is another important factor, and sometimes ethnicity.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by KimT View Post
            Tomorrow is a new day. Have to tell myself that. Ended an unintentional 24 hour fast yesterday at Soup Plantation, so salad, soup, a baked potato, and some ice cream. Today for lunch I did fine, but dinner was late after a run to the store and ended up being chicken strips, Doritos and dip. Followed quickly by a trip to the bathroom. It's awful when I don't plan and don't feel like preparing food. Add to that TOM and can you say it with me? UGH! I am struggling with everything right now. Energy, workouts, food. Just needed to vent.
            UGH! We all go off track occasionally, when our lives get too busy etc. And the compromising when faced with limited food choices causes a downward spiral in energy levels.

            Try to find some standby quick and easy meals to have in the fridge/freezer/storecupboard. e.g. a microwaved sweet potato loaded with butter and tinned tuna is very easy to prepare. Chopped frozen vegetables and tinned fish are both good standbys.

            Keep calm, and carry on, and you will soon be back on track.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
              You've misunderstood the mindset completely. I've not seen any women complain of oppression on his site. Unless you're talking about discussion of the greater social pressures on women to make themselves unnaturally lean, but there's relatively little talk about that.

              The point is that pretty much any health guidelines need to be honed for men and for women due to the biological differences, and that's what's being eeked out here. Age is another important factor, and sometimes ethnicity.
              Hh is a forum-scraper. They employ a program that recycles short posts from the thread (this one has been re-used more times than I can count), trying to make themselves look like a legitimate poster. I guess that's to set themselves up for future spam. I report these guys, but if I'm the only one they don't get removed. This one has been in virtually every thread I follow.

              BTW, thanks for the sweet potato idea. I am trying to find a number of quick, go-to meals. Now that wraps and sandwiches are verboten, it's gotten a little complicated. We practically lived on pita and tortilla wraps in this house, I'm afraid. And beans.
              Last edited by Judg; 06-03-2012, 06:44 AM.
              5'2", 55 years, Primal since April. Pre-Primal weight loss, from 216.6 to 157.8
              Primal low: 140.2 (Dec. 3) Goal weight: 135?
              Main Primal goal: beating back my CFS enough to function more normally and start writing again

              More and more, our life has been governed by specialists, who know too little of what lies outside their province to be able to know enough about what takes place within it.
              - Lewis Mumford

              Comment


              • Thanks paleo-bunny. I usually have something here, but the shelves were bare! A run to the store when tired and hungry is not good! It was just a bunch of things that led to a bad situation and bad choices. Today will be better.

                The move has caused a major disruption to my schedule. I don't function well with too much time on my hands. We moved cross country to follow where we felt we were being led. It's been great, but we have no jobs. We were doing an apprenticeship and now that's finished. Now we are trying to formulate how we find clients in an area we hardly know a soul.

                My SIL comes the end of this week for a visit. I may need a vacation from her vacation! She will bring a lot of drama and I'm not into that. We get along, but are not close. The food may be a little rough since I know she'll want to eat out. Trying to formulate the plan now for places I can stay on track.

                Comment


                • I was off the diet for 2 days, as well. Did not touch any grains, but I had things like chocolate peanut butter ice cream and lots of 70% chocolate and just ate a lot of random stuff like jerky and cheese curds rather than normal meals. Incidentally, I think I'm due for my TOM any time now, I stopped taking BCP 22 days ago when I broke up with my ex. Back to the grind as of last night, though. About to throw some bacon-wrapped quails on the grill!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Judg View Post
                    Hh is a forum-scraper. They employ a program that recycles short posts from the thread (this one has been re-used more times than I can count), trying to make themselves look like a legitimate poster. I guess that's to set themselves up for future spam. I report these guys, but if I'm the only one they don't get removed. This one has been in virtually every thread I follow.

                    BTW, thanks for the sweet potato idea. I am trying to find a number of quick, go-to meals. Now that wraps and sandwiches are verboten, it's gotten a little complicated. We practically lived on pita and tortilla wraps in this house, I'm afraid. And beans.
                    Damn - that's the first time I've been caught out by a forum-scraper or spambot. Usually there's a telltale broken link in the post. Thanks!

                    Another sweet potato tip is: peel and slice into circles approx 7 mm thick. Shallow fry on a low heat in butter or coconut oil for approx 7 minutes on each side until they start to brown lightly. (Alternatively, coat them in olive oil and oven roast for approx 40 mins.)

                    These keep well in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3/4 days, so they're a convenient staple source of primal carbs.

                    I add them to korma curries (heavenly when combined with fried banana, salmon and prawns), also quartered and added to an omelette or frittata or a big ass salad.

                    This works just as well with the purple-skinned white-fleshed variety as the more common orange-fleshed sweet potato.


                    Originally posted by KimT View Post
                    Thanks paleo-bunny. I usually have something here, but the shelves were bare! A run to the store when tired and hungry is not good! It was just a bunch of things that led to a bad situation and bad choices. Today will be better.

                    The move has caused a major disruption to my schedule. I don't function well with too much time on my hands. We moved cross country to follow where we felt we were being led. It's been great, but we have no jobs. We were doing an apprenticeship and now that's finished. Now we are trying to formulate how we find clients in an area we hardly know a soul.

                    My SIL comes the end of this week for a visit. I may need a vacation from her vacation! She will bring a lot of drama and I'm not into that. We get along, but are not close. The food may be a little rough since I know she'll want to eat out. Trying to formulate the plan now for places I can stay on track.
                    Oh my word - that sounds like a lot of stress to cope with.

                    Good luck with finding some good places to eat out. My preference is usually Sushi or Thai, as I eat white rice.
                    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                    Comment


                    • Good Morning all. I found this thread and spent my weekend reading it all. I am really happy to find you guys. This is my first post and am looking forward to getting to know you all. My Story - I have fought increasing weight over the last many years. Was 112 lbs before DS was born 32 years ago. Was 125 before DD was born 30 years ago. I am 51 years old, post menopausal, 5' tall. By last summer I had gradually increased to 165 lbs. I have tried eating low fat for years. I have genetically high cholesterol and have been on statins for 20 years. A good friend of mine -- who was previously vegetarian -- introduced me to the Paleo diet last summer. She lent me Mark Sisson and Robb Wolf's books which I eagerly read and which totally made sense to me. I have never looked back.

                      So last August, DH and I went paleo. I didn't own a scale so I couldn't track my progress. I wasn't really in it for the weight loss, although that was a nice side effect, I was more in it for the health benefits. Long story short, I have lost 40 lbs in 10 months. I feel fantastic. I didn't lose right away, it took a couple of months before I started to notice my clothes being looser.

                      DH has very progressive MS and is confined to a wheelchair. He always had bowel issues -- sometimes going a week without going -- the paleo diet has completely fixed that. Not to say we don't have problems now and again but overall, he is more regular than he has been all his life.

                      Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hello. Happy Monday!!!
                      Grok on

                      Comment


                      • ^lopm- how wonderful you and your husband are dong so well living primarily. A nice post to read on a gray Monday morning! Tomi will welcome you but I'm just saying a quick 'Howdy'back, too...
                        SW: 243
                        CW: 177
                        Goal: Health

                        Comment


                        • Welcomes are "welcome" from one and all! Its always so great to see new gals joining our talks.

                          @ lil old paleo me: Great job on the weight loss - and staying strictly paleo. I'm wondering how the paleo is effecting your husbands MS? Have you seen any improvements? Have you seen the video of the doctor who treated her MS with paleo and is now out of her wheel chair and walking, doing speaking engagements and all? If not, let me know and I will try to find it for you.

                          I'm feeling bit under the weather today - seems a virus is trying to grab ahold of me! Something has been going around the office and I think its found me. So, I'm laying low today. Might have to go to the office for a short while this afternoon though.

                          UGH...........
                          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion
                          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

                          Comment


                          • Great progress lil old paleo me! Hope it continues to work well for you and your husband!

                            Tomi, hope you fell better.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by lil old paleo me View Post
                              Good Morning all. I found this thread and spent my weekend reading it all. I am really happy to find you guys. This is my first post and am looking forward to getting to know you all. My Story - I have fought increasing weight over the last many years. Was 112 lbs before DS was born 32 years ago. Was 125 before DD was born 30 years ago. I am 51 years old, post menopausal, 5' tall. By last summer I had gradually increased to 165 lbs. I have tried eating low fat for years. I have genetically high cholesterol and have been on statins for 20 years. A good friend of mine -- who was previously vegetarian -- introduced me to the Paleo diet last summer. She lent me Mark Sisson and Robb Wolf's books which I eagerly read and which totally made sense to me. I have never looked back.

                              So last August, DH and I went paleo. I didn't own a scale so I couldn't track my progress. I wasn't really in it for the weight loss, although that was a nice side effect, I was more in it for the health benefits. Long story short, I have lost 40 lbs in 10 months. I feel fantastic. I didn't lose right away, it took a couple of months before I started to notice my clothes being looser.

                              DH has very progressive MS and is confined to a wheelchair. He always had bowel issues -- sometimes going a week without going -- the paleo diet has completely fixed that. Not to say we don't have problems now and again but overall, he is more regular than he has been all his life.

                              Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hello. Happy Monday!!!
                              Grok on
                              Great news! How is your cholesterol now? Do you still take the statins? I intend to refuse. There is no heart disease at all in my family and the women live long despite high cholesterol. So besides the fact that there has never been any evidence to show they are beneficial for any women of any age or health status, there is not a good enough reason in my opinion for me to take them anyway.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                              Comment


                              • So -- typical day for me. Get up, get DH showered, dressed, toileted, etc. with the help of PSW for 2 hours Monday to Friday. Cook breakfast - meat (usually bacon, peameal bacon, sausage or scallops and shrimp) and two eggs. It is usually at least 9:30 when we eat breakfast, sometimes as late a 11:00. Put DH in standing frame - this is a device that allows people who are in wheelchairs to get on their feet and bear weight. Most days I work from home. I am a bookkeeper in a law office and have been in my present job for almost 30 years. When DH health deteriorated, I asked and employer agreed to let me work from home so I could balance my caregiver duties with my work. Twice a week I make the trip to the office and drop off and pick up work and do stuff I can't do from home. We very rarely eat lunch -- we just aren't hungry -- but we will snack on meat sticks and maybe a piece of fruit mid-afternoon. Dinner is meat (half the plate) and veggies or salad (other half of the plate). We have sweet potatoes maybe a couple of times a week. Happy hour daily with rum and coke zero or pepsi max. (hey we gotta have fun right We do not cheat on our paleo diet. We do not eat any bread, pasta, rice or grains at all.

                                Organized exercising does not happen in our house, there just isn't time. Maybe we will go for a walk/wheel together if the weather is good. I think the pushing/pulling/lifting/transferring of DH gets me a "lift heavy things" workout on a daily basis.

                                I guess my biggest problems are getting adequate sleep and the "play" thing. My sleep is not good -- either I can't fall asleep or I wake up in the night and can't go back to sleep. Having "play" is difficult for us cause we just can't do it. I need to be here for DH 24/7 and I am really not interested in leaving him alone while I pursue my own interests. We are "soulmates" - married 32 years.

                                Tomi, the person you are referring to is Terry Wahl and yes I have seen her presentation on minding your mitochondria. I am really informed and up to date on all things MS which was another reason we have gone paleo.

                                Thanks for the welcomes. I realize I have just written a novel -- sorry, there is just so much to say once you get going when you are a bit secluded from the world.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X